Weekend Photography Project: Your Backyard

Latest Posts Photography Forums General Photo Chit Chat Weekend Photography Project: Your Backyard

Viewing 50 reply threads
  • Author

Let’s start getting into the habit of taking more shots and helping each other out with improving our skills.

For this weekend, let’s start with an easy one: Your Backyard

The project is to get a shot close to home. Post your best effort in this thread and let’s see what we can come up with!

Good luck.

John McGarity
      Participant

Does it matter if I use my SLR or my phone? I know what some will say about a phone image, but nay-sayers aside…

John McGarity
      Participant

Does it matter if I use my SLR or my phone? I know what some will say about a phone image, but nay-sayers aside…

Anything you like! Personally, I care more about results than processes when it comes to photography. 😉

Anything you like! Personally, I care more about results than processes when it comes to photography. 😉

Erik Hawkinson
      Participant

I’m game. I’ll see what I can come up with. At the very least, I could use honest feedback so I can get better. 🙂

Erik Hawkinson
      Participant

I’m game. I’ll see what I can come up with. At the very least, I could use honest feedback so I can get better. 🙂

Interesting – this will fit perfectly with my black and white-weekend project. Good luck and have a wonderful weekend everybody 🙂

Interesting – this will fit perfectly with my black and white-weekend project. Good luck and have a wonderful weekend everybody 🙂

patricia caldeira
      Participant

will do! it is raining cats and dogs here though… not the best light ever!

patricia caldeira
      Participant

will do! it is raining cats and dogs here though… not the best light ever!

EDUARDO
      Participant

Great idea, my backyard has good potential for pictures but I never use it, let’s see.
      Nice weekend

EDUARDO
      Participant

Great idea, my backyard has good potential for pictures but I never use it, let’s see.
      Nice weekend

John McGarity
      Participant

I posted a couple of photos from this project into my album here. Since I don’t use flickr, I didn’t know of any other way to embed or share into the message thread itself. If there’s a solution, & someone could kindly point me in its general direction, I’ll be more than happy to share here.

I’ll be heading into the desert this morning to look for abandoned silver mines….hope it stays warm enough for me to get some quality shots. Remember, shoot well, shoot often. 🙂

John McGarity
      Participant

I posted a couple of photos from this project into my album here. Since I don’t use flickr, I didn’t know of any other way to embed or share into the message thread itself. If there’s a solution, & someone could kindly point me in its general direction, I’ll be more than happy to share here.

I’ll be heading into the desert this morning to look for abandoned silver mines….hope it stays warm enough for me to get some quality shots. Remember, shoot well, shoot often. 🙂

Hey that’s no problem, we can look at your album. We have our coder working on a way to easily insert images from your album into a forum thread so hopefully that won’t be an issue in the future. 🙂

Hey that’s no problem, we can look at your album. We have our coder working on a way to easily insert images from your album into a forum thread so hopefully that won’t be an issue in the future. 🙂

sally nelson
      Participant

It has poured with rain all weekend but I did manage a pic of my wet and soggy cocker spaniel! lachie

sally nelson
      Participant

It has poured with rain all weekend but I did manage a pic of my wet and soggy cocker spaniel! lachie

Cute! 🙂

Cute! 🙂

sally nelson
      Participant

Thanks..he is cute but he was also revolting!!

sally nelson
      Participant

Thanks..he is cute but he was also revolting!!

My backyard is not big, but I love it. I sit out there often, even in cooler weather. It was the perfect place to set up this shot.
      Pumpkins on Wicker Sofa

My backyard is not big, but I love it. I sit out there often, even in cooler weather. It was the perfect place to set up this shot.
      Pumpkins on Wicker Sofa

You will find my “Backyard friends” posted in my album. Don’t know how to upload it here 🙂

You will find my “Backyard friends” posted in my album. Don’t know how to upload it here 🙂

tom dinning
      Blocked

What’s a backyard? If it’s bounded by a fence, then the nearest one is so far away I’ve never managed to reach it. The dogs usually get me first. While she was napping on Saturday I escaped through the cellar and headed west. Unfortunately I met with this.
      swamp
      Not what I would call welcoming. She just laughed sardonically when I returned. She knows everything.

tom dinning
      Blocked

What’s a backyard? If it’s bounded by a fence, then the nearest one is so far away I’ve never managed to reach it. The dogs usually get me first. While she was napping on Saturday I escaped through the cellar and headed west. Unfortunately I met with this.
      swamp
      Not what I would call welcoming. She just laughed sardonically when I returned. She knows everything.

tom dinning
      Blocked

On Sunday she had some guests. I think she’s a chapter leader for the Hell’s Angles or something. While they were all doing something illegal I headed East (after yesterdays debarkle). Unfortunately it was no better. This place is a fortress. I think I’ll die here. There has to be a way out.
      rock-and-tree
      For punishment, her ‘friends used me for knife throwing practice. I didn’t bleed much.

tom dinning
      Blocked

On Sunday she had some guests. I think she’s a chapter leader for the Hell’s Angles or something. While they were all doing something illegal I headed East (after yesterdays debarkle). Unfortunately it was no better. This place is a fortress. I think I’ll die here. There has to be a way out.
      rock-and-tree
      For punishment, her ‘friends used me for knife throwing practice. I didn’t bleed much.

chris naven pearce
      Participant

Japanese anemone – putting on a last show of colour in my garden this weekend :0)

Japanese Anemone

Canon Powershot SX10 1S

chris naven pearce
      Participant

Japanese anemone – putting on a last show of colour in my garden this weekend :0)

Japanese Anemone

Canon Powershot SX10 1S

Great stuff. I am about to upload my efforts

@tomdinning – that cliff shot is great. Quite a backyard you have! 😉

@wynjym – nice lighting!

Great stuff. I am about to upload my efforts

@tomdinning – that cliff shot is great. Quite a backyard you have! 😉

@wynjym – nice lighting!

This guy was chowing down on a dead earthworm. His whole nest was there, but ants are really hard to get to pose! lol

DSC_0023

This guy was chowing down on a dead earthworm. His whole nest was there, but ants are really hard to get to pose! lol

DSC_0023

sally nelson
      Participant

That’s really good..what did you use to shoot it with, please?

sally nelson
      Participant

That’s really good..what did you use to shoot it with, please?

That was my old Nikon D70 with a macro bellows that I bought off ebay and a 50mm 1.8 on the front. Used a remote SB600 flash.

I was actually quite amazed at the magnification I can get with that setup. That ant isn’t a Bull Ant or anything – he’s one of those really small black ants.

That was my old Nikon D70 with a macro bellows that I bought off ebay and a 50mm 1.8 on the front. Used a remote SB600 flash.

I was actually quite amazed at the magnification I can get with that setup. That ant isn’t a Bull Ant or anything – he’s one of those really small black ants.

Anand Devaraj
      Participant

This is what I could come up with. Will post couple of others tomorrow.

Backyard scene

Anand Devaraj
      Participant

This is what I could come up with. Will post couple of others tomorrow.

Backyard scene

The Ant-picture was really cool. I guess ants are just as difficult to picture as flying birds.
      Dbasys – you also have a nice picture – your backyard looks huge from this perspective.

The Ant-picture was really cool. I guess ants are just as difficult to picture as flying birds.
      Dbasys – you also have a nice picture – your backyard looks huge from this perspective.

Anand Devaraj
      Participant

Here are some other pics that I took on the weekend

DSC_0819

Anand Devaraj
      Participant

Here are some other pics that I took on the weekend

DSC_0819

Very nice!

What did you shoot the fly on?

Very nice!

What did you shoot the fly on?

Anand Devaraj
      Participant

The fly picture was taken hand held using Tokina 100mm macro.

Anand Devaraj
      Participant

The fly picture was taken hand held using Tokina 100mm macro.

Viewing 50 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.