Well Dressed Man

Latest Posts Photography Forums The Shark Tank Well Dressed Man

This topic contains 21 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Lenny Wollitz 5 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Lenny Wollitz
    Participant

This is the son of a street vendor that sells purses to tourists from cruise ships at a Cathedral where I volunteer as a Tourist Aide here in Mazatlan. Mom and I have a friendly relationship and this was shot with her permission. 1/200, f5.6, 24mm (APS-C), iso 500.Well Dressed Man

Rob Eyers
    Participant

Do you have any more on the viewer’s left Lenny? The knee looks a little cramped as it is now. It looks like you’ve tried to keep the wall behind centered but I’m not so sure that’s important compared to the knee. I’ll be interested in what others say.

Lenny Wollitz
    Participant

Hi Rob, I agree, it is a bit tight.  He is sitting in front of a pillar and I cropped to include all of the pillar  but not show the ugly background.  I guess I could extend the canvas in PS but will wait to see what others think.  Have you shot many Mexicans with the totally black eyes?  I have a hard time making them look like anything but black blobs.

Bruce Gordon
      Participant

I think you solved the dark eye issue very well by catching the light reflected in his eyes…

Rob Eyers
      Participant

I think that black eyes are only a problem if you’re thinking in blue eye terms. They are what they are and they are quite compelling from my perspective. Catch lights are always your friends though. Sorry but no wisdom from me 🙂

Here is what works for me. It’s not much of an addition but it takes away the niggling issue I think. I wouldn’t add any more nor would I change your processing which is spot on IMHO.

EDIT: After reading your comment below about his Mom, I think a foto of the two of them in their different attire would be something special…if she would agree to it. Mom taking care of him first is entirely in keeping with how I view mis amigos Mexicanos.

Ed
    Participant

I’d go tighter.

not my photo!

https://flic.kr/p/RTGwZp

Albirder
      Participant

I like this crop, Ed!

Frank
    Participant

I, too, like the crop, but it does change the story  (see comments about Ken’s Barbershop photo).    Your title is very appropriate.  Here is a little boy dressed like a man.  Here is an adorable boy sucking his thumb reminding us of his age.    I know so little about portrait photography, I do not want to comment on your composition.  The image is wonderful, however!  Your explanation helps to set the scene, and I am glad you got permission to photograph.

Lenny Wollitz
    Participant

Ed, I looked at “tighter” too but stuck with this crop.  I’m basically a street photographer and like to show the subjects environment some.

Frank, thanks for your comment!  I very seldom shoot kids and then only with the parents verbal OK.

billyspad
    Blocked

Lenny mate you knew when you posted this you would get ” knee too close to edge” comment! Its written in large print in chapter 4 of the Snappers Guide section about critique. Lets look at it another way huh. Does the lad have two knees YES does the shot show both knees YES so in that case what does a bit more boring wall bring to the table? The “a bit tight” or “room to breathe ” type comment leaves me scratching my head. Could be worse. “I would love to know where those railway lines go” has to be the all time killer comment. I digress.

The shot itself is very nice a bit cutesy maybe and a family album type shot rather than a stand out street image. Its got great color and his dress sense takes some beating but the thumb in the mouth just plants it too firmly in the cute corner. Not much you can do with black eyes mate, here in Phils they have really dark brown eyes so same deal. You have got nice catch lights in your shot but it could do with sharpening around the eyes a little.

I am with you mate, always get an adults permission have a witness and make sure your butt is well covered when taking shots of kids.

Graham Hart
    Participant

I’m on the ‘too tight’ team Lenny which sort of unbalances the image from a purely aesthetic POV but I know your a ‘street’ man and this is probably not of any great concern to you. Being off-centre the boy cedes too much visual weight to the green bag I think. Having said that, I love the colours in this pic.

The little man with his hat and wearing his sunday best can’t disguise the fact that his thumb is still his best friend. Great juxtaposition here.

A quick edit with my take. Yes it’s PP’d a bit and removed from pure street but I offer it as an alternative view.

Lenny Wollitz
    Participant

Billy, what the heck is the Snappers Guide?  Your right, it’s a bit cutesy for a reason.  A touristy web site here uses a lot of my “Chamber of Commerce” type shots… they don’t want to show the beggars and crippled in BW!  It’s not my fav (but still fun)  type of photography but I sell a few prints and donate the selling price to a home for abused girls.  I was surprised to see the catch-lights and have no idea where they came from.

Graham, I like the added canvas.  I don’t think there is any such thing as “pure street”, there are no rules.  BTW, I shot this on a Tuesday so I would imagine his Sunday best is better.  When working his mom dresses in “poor people” clothing, I’m not sure if it is a sales technique or of necessity.

billyspad
      Blocked

Lenny snappers is what I call us folks that just take pics mainly for fun. Photographers earn a living and pay their mortgage with a camera. The Snappers Guide is my work in progress. Mainly a fun essay taking the piss out of the cliches that adorn not just this web site but all others where folks buy a camera and immediately refer to themselves as photographers and even worse artists. They all develop a love affair with leading lines negative space and anything else that can be quoted ad nausiam. I really should not complain it gives me much to smile about.

Keep snapping mate as shall I!

Ed
    Participant

Lenny, the issue may be how many photos you have.  The story can be told and the background noted in some photos with a tight crop focused on the individual and a much wider crop brionging in more and, as you note, perhaps other members of the family/community.  Hoqw much can we ask a single photo to do?

The issue of “snappers” (amateurs?) versus professionals (those who pay their mortage through their work) — perhaps also an issue of degree of formal training (even if self-taught) — is one described in two books: Eric Booth’s “The Everyday Work of Art” and Stephen Pressfield’s “The War of Art”.  Both links go to a site which gives the option of where and how to acquire, including dog-eared used copies for limited expenditure:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1319.The_War_of_Art.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/244639.The_Everyday_Work_of_Art.

If you want a gift to give to someone you know ages 16-22 , you can’t go wrong with Booth. He’s a Broadway impresario, on the faculty at Julliard, and a CEO of a trans forecasting company whose clients are Fortune 500 companies.

Lenny Wollitz
    Participant

Hi Ed, thanks for the recommendations.  I downloaded The War of Art from Amazon (6.22USD) and will start it tonight.  I wanted this to be about a “well dressed man” so included his entire outfit.

Thanks to all for the input.  Below is the final edit.  I like Grahams crop so added just a bit of BG on the left but tried to stay away from centering the subject.

Well Dressed Man

Kent DuFault
    Participant

Hi Lenny. This shot just isn’t working for me. If it were to go into the genre of street photography, I think it’s missing the element of where he is and what’s happening around him. If it were to go into the portrait genre (street, candid, regular, or otherwise), the thumb covering the face throws me off. Typically, I like vibrant color. However, in this case (IMHO) it feels like it is overwhelming the boy as the subject. My eyes keep going to those yellow shoes and the green bag…

Lenny Wollitz
    Participant

Kent, I agree.  This shot is about the boys clothes not the boy.  The lady that uses my photos on her website likes it so I’m moving on.  I don’t remember who the big shot photographer was that said “if you want to take picture of peoples clothes shoot color and if you want to make photo of their soul shoot BW.   I’m working on getting a shot with him and his mom at work.  Lucky for me they both like to be photographed.

Falxy
    Participant

yeah its a portrait rather than street…………wots the difference…………its a port on the street………………………………………..don’t worry for too l/handed….slightly overexposed pour moi but hey……………would also work in bw.

cloning………………the 2 bag straps r/h

enjoyed man!! 🙂

Maureen Photograph
    Participant

What Kent said about the colors.  The lacks harmony and overwhelms the subject.  I changed it up:

Kent DuFault
      Participant

I like that version much better, Maureen!

Tom M
    Participant

I think it is a cute image with him sitting on the bag. But him sucking his thumb just ruins the whole thing for me. In fact both hand gestures are just not pleasing. I don’t like the closer crops at all…

Lenny Wollitz
    Participant

Hi Tom, both he and his mom like having their photo made so I’m hoping I get another try.  I agree about the close crops.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.