What Mode Do You Shoot in When On the Fly?

Latest Posts Photography Forums General Photo Chit Chat What Mode Do You Shoot in When On the Fly?

Tagged: ,

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author

What camera mode do you shoot in when you don’t have total control over the conditions of your next shot? Like walking around a fair or something?

I usually go with aperture priority and just set the ISO to whatever I want. Usually based off a rough guestimation of what I will be shooting next.

How about you?

I might put up a poll on this one.

Dave Frost
      Participant

Manual all the time – I usually set the aperture to whatever suits deoending on available light, lens choice and the type of shot I’m after. Once set this will pretty much remain untouched unless I want to change the DOF or need more or less light, ISO on whatever the conditions dictate (again, once decided this remains static for the shoot unless the light changes dramatically in which case i’ll push it up). Then simply adjust shutter speed to suit for each shot. I’ve used the same camera for such a long time that I know where all the buttons and dials are just by touch, so it’s pretty instinctive now. Bit worrying, but I can almost ‘guesstimate’ what the sutter speed is going to be most of the time as well. This obviously helps as well.

Dave Frost
      Participant

Manual all the time – I usually set the aperture to whatever suits deoending on available light, lens choice and the type of shot I’m after. Once set this will pretty much remain untouched unless I want to change the DOF or need more or less light, ISO on whatever the conditions dictate (again, once decided this remains static for the shoot unless the light changes dramatically in which case i’ll push it up). Then simply adjust shutter speed to suit for each shot. I’ve used the same camera for such a long time that I know where all the buttons and dials are just by touch, so it’s pretty instinctive now. Bit worrying, but I can almost ‘guesstimate’ what the sutter speed is going to be most of the time as well. This obviously helps as well.

tom dinning
      Blocked

Auto everything. I’m too old to think on the run. In fact I’m too old to run. In fact I’m too old to think.
      I trust my Nikon. It’s smarter than me. And worth more according to her.
      Mind you, I’m an old man with a hat on when I have the time. I rather like aperture priority ’cause I like control over depth of field.
      Then again I’m not too anal about most things. I have even been known to use my wifes camera. Its a little red box about the size of a microchip. Its great!!

tom dinning
      Blocked

Auto everything. I’m too old to think on the run. In fact I’m too old to run. In fact I’m too old to think.
      I trust my Nikon. It’s smarter than me. And worth more according to her.
      Mind you, I’m an old man with a hat on when I have the time. I rather like aperture priority ’cause I like control over depth of field.
      Then again I’m not too anal about most things. I have even been known to use my wifes camera. Its a little red box about the size of a microchip. Its great!!

Back when I really started to get into photography, I went and helped out a pro on my weekends who used to shoot for Getty Images. I learned a lot about my camera and I was forever trying to shoot on manual in some fairly fast paced environments. Until I realised that 90% of the pros around me were shooting on auto, aperture priority or shutter speed priority.

I also realised what a stressful job photography really was when you have three event shoots per day and you’re back and forth to the printers in between shoots. Physically demanding too.

Back when I really started to get into photography, I went and helped out a pro on my weekends who used to shoot for Getty Images. I learned a lot about my camera and I was forever trying to shoot on manual in some fairly fast paced environments. Until I realised that 90% of the pros around me were shooting on auto, aperture priority or shutter speed priority.

I also realised what a stressful job photography really was when you have three event shoots per day and you’re back and forth to the printers in between shoots. Physically demanding too.

Susan David
      Participant

I shoot in manual mode pretty much all the time. I sometimes have to be reminded by others that there are other modes on the camera. Just a bad habit I’ve picked up from the film days I guess. Course most of what I photograph is not moving too quickly. Funny thing is that I’m set up and shooting way before my A or SS priority friends are 😉 ISO prety much stays at 100 but occassionaly moves up higher.

Susan David
      Participant

I shoot in manual mode pretty much all the time. I sometimes have to be reminded by others that there are other modes on the camera. Just a bad habit I’ve picked up from the film days I guess. Course most of what I photograph is not moving too quickly. Funny thing is that I’m set up and shooting way before my A or SS priority friends are 😉 ISO prety much stays at 100 but occassionaly moves up higher.

David Haworth
      Participant

Program sucks.. I’ll find all the shots are at f4 and soft. I used to shoot apeture but now shoot manual. If I am going to raise the camera I want to know my DOF first and shutter and iso are the next things to adjust. I have just got an image stab lens but I’m not sure how low I can go shutter wise yet. time will tell , Its the canon 24-105L

David Haworth
      Participant

Program sucks.. I’ll find all the shots are at f4 and soft. I used to shoot apeture but now shoot manual. If I am going to raise the camera I want to know my DOF first and shutter and iso are the next things to adjust. I have just got an image stab lens but I’m not sure how low I can go shutter wise yet. time will tell , Its the canon 24-105L

Most of my shooting is when I just go for a walk in a park or nature setting. I do need to react fast if I’m going to get any shots of the birds and wildlife. I keep my Nikkor 70-300mm lens mounted, fully extended, with ISO at 100, f/5.6, and adjust shutter speed according the the VERY changeable light conditions. I hope for at least 1/400, can go down to 1/200 and still hand-hold but much lower than that I need to boost the ISO.
      Hairy Woodpecker prime

Most of my shooting is when I just go for a walk in a park or nature setting. I do need to react fast if I’m going to get any shots of the birds and wildlife. I keep my Nikkor 70-300mm lens mounted, fully extended, with ISO at 100, f/5.6, and adjust shutter speed according the the VERY changeable light conditions. I hope for at least 1/400, can go down to 1/200 and still hand-hold but much lower than that I need to boost the ISO.
      Hairy Woodpecker prime

STEVEDIAS
      Participant

MANUAL : MOST OF THE TIME. I FIND IT THE MOST FLEXABLE AND FASTEST TO CHANGE AT THE SPUR OF THE MOMENT. A QUICK SPIN OF ONE DIAL CHANGES THE DOF. AND A QUICK SPIN OF THE OTHER CHANGES THE SUTTER SPEED. I USEALLY LET THE CAMERA CHOOSE THE ISO. ONE DRAWBACK TO THAT THOUGH IS ALOT OF THE TIME THE ISO. THE CAMERA SELECTS IS TO HIGH AND ENDS UP NOISY EVEN WITH THE NR. TURNED ON. ( NIKON D-90 ) ANY SUGGESTIONS ON THE LATTER WOULD BE APPREASEATED.

STEVEDIAS
      Participant

MANUAL : MOST OF THE TIME. I FIND IT THE MOST FLEXABLE AND FASTEST TO CHANGE AT THE SPUR OF THE MOMENT. A QUICK SPIN OF ONE DIAL CHANGES THE DOF. AND A QUICK SPIN OF THE OTHER CHANGES THE SUTTER SPEED. I USEALLY LET THE CAMERA CHOOSE THE ISO. ONE DRAWBACK TO THAT THOUGH IS ALOT OF THE TIME THE ISO. THE CAMERA SELECTS IS TO HIGH AND ENDS UP NOISY EVEN WITH THE NR. TURNED ON. ( NIKON D-90 ) ANY SUGGESTIONS ON THE LATTER WOULD BE APPREASEATED.

@ariana – You must have the hands of a surgeon. Mine are so shaky, I am always just happy to be able to tie my shoes. 🙁

@ariana – You must have the hands of a surgeon. Mine are so shaky, I am always just happy to be able to tie my shoes. 🙁

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.