Where I Live

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      LeanneC
      Participant

I take images of landscapes when traveling but often overlook this pretty little valley in which I live. Here is an image from yesterday, looking at Nicola River, where it comes out of Nicola Lake. This is a great spot to see wildlife, such as geese and swans, as it stays clear of ice through the winter.

A Great Start

Ok, now I am a little bit jealous.

LeanneC
        Participant

Well, if you’re ever out this way, Rob, I would be happy to be your tour guide! 😊

One of my bucket list items is to zig zag across North America in a campervan so there is a better than average chance that we may meet one day πŸ™‚

LeanneC
            Participant

Well, give me a shout when it comes time to cross that one off. Your bucket item sounds like a future retirement trip my husband and I have ‘planned’ (that is still a ways off yet). I am planning trips in my head all the time!

John Thompson

I agree with Rob.Β  Great area to have a few days shooting.

LeanneC
        Participant

I agree John. I have visited a few times at different times of the year now. Unfortunately, I haven’t been stealthy enough to catch the swans yet.

Dave Watkins
      Participant

What a beautiful spot. Would like to see more images from your neighborhood.

LeanneC
        Participant

Thanks Dave. I am trying to remedy that. Hopefully I will have more to share soon!

Patrick
      Participant

Gorgeous Leanne , breathtaking actually and thanks for sharing πŸ˜‰

LeanneC
        Participant

Thanks Patrick. Visiting this spot in the morning made for a great start to the day.

Rob Eyers
      Participant

It’s an interesting comment about ignoring the area where you live Leanne. I too have lots of images from places visited but very few from our neighbourhood. Not that southern Ontario is as picturesque as your hood. πŸ™‚

You do live in a beautiful area and this is a wonderful capture.

LeanneC
        Participant

Thanks Rob. Yeah, I was kind of kicking myself for driving by spots like these and never stopping to shoot. You see them every day and take them for granted. I bet you have some nearby treasures as well!

Tersha
      Keymaster

Beautiful Leanne!

LeanneC
      Participant

Thanks Diane.

Robert Apple

That’s one of those tough spots to photograph, when your carrying a fishing pole that is, nice shot Leanne, how’s the fishing there.

LeanneC
        Participant

Agreed, Robert! Our Freshwater Fisheries Society put a fishing dock in, a few kilometers down the lake from this spot. The youngest and I spent a couple of days out there last summer/fall casting and she caught her first 2 rainbow trout. I struggle with what to take as I want to fish and snap photos. The lake has ling cod, trout (rainbow and brook) and kokanee (land-locked salmon).

Dahlia Ambrose
      Keymaster

Great landscape. Very beautiful Leanne πŸ™‚

LeanneC
        Participant

Thanks Dahlia – hey, I just noticed that the nesting is working again! Yay!

Federico Alegria
      Participant

That’s simply beautiful…

LeanneC
        Participant

πŸ™‚ Thanks!

Graham Hart
      Participant

Picture postcard image Leanne. You are so lucky to have this faultless beauty of nature nearby. It’s probably nowhere near his home turf but I can’t help thinking of John Denver singing somewhere in the background.

LeanneC
        Participant

Thanks Graham. We are a fair bit farther north than John Denver’s country roads but you can definitely hear him in these parts!

Robert Apple

Syncronicity in the forum Graham, I taught Ol John (Henry) how to fly fish at a lake quite similar to this near Fairplay Co., He was a really nice Guy.

Graham Hart
          Participant

OK Robert, you got me wondering about stuff now. At first I thought ‘Ol John (Henry)’ must be a nickname for John Denver and then I thought “Wow, Robert taught him how to fly fish? That’s amazing!” So I googled it.

Quote: The moral of the Old John Henry story: Talk less. Do more.

I’m reminded of another catchphrase by Spyrios Heniadis…

“Get out there and take some damn photos!”

Any connection between the two?

Robert Apple

John Denver’s Real Name was Henry John Deutschendorf, when he wanted to be incognito he went by that name vs his stage name. When he signed up for lessons I didn’t know who it was until I met him in person.

Graham Hart
              Participant

Wow, what a great story Robert. When I googled “John Denver Fishing Songs” a plethora of links appeared. Perhaps he found some inspiration while you were teaching him?

LeanneC
              Participant

Well that is a very cool connection, Robert! What a great story.

Tobie

Beautiful scene looking super cold! 😜

LeanneC
        Participant

Thanks Tobie! This is actually spring-like weather here! I was surprised to see that the ice was mostly off the lake on the day I took this image. We aren’t quite as bad as Johnny Horton’s, “Springtime in Alaska” but you wouldn’t call it warm either πŸ˜‰

Leesa
      Participant

A beautiful place to live, Leanne. My husband and I would love to drive the AlCan highway one day. Are you far off that route? It is rather flat where I live now.

LeanneC
        Participant

We are not very close to that drive. It is farther north of us. I have driven about 7 hours or so of that highway (the farthest north we got was Watson Lake) with my husband, several years ago. There are many beautiful routes in BC. One we just did was the Icefields Parkway – amazing! So, you are in the prairies, Leesa? They have their own beauty too.

Leesa
          Participant

I live way down south in Mississippi. It is not quite as flat here as in the delta, nearer the Mississippi River. I’m very close to Alabama. Unlike the prairies, this state though flat, was heavily forested before timbering companies cleared forests making way for vast cotton plantations. I was hoping to photograph some cotton fields this past fall but, they were harvested before I could get out and do it. I think they were trying to beat the rain.

LeanneC
            Participant

Oh, I would love to see that. Hopefully you catch them next season, Leesa!

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar