White or black ?

Latest Posts Photography Forums The Shark Tank White or black ?

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Petr Nowak
      Participant

Sometimes light draw interesting lines and shapes on buldings and creates new “building” on building. With a right angle you can push it towards pure geometry. (The sky is darkened intentionaly.)

CC?

Petr Nowak
      Participant

Simplified version…

Maureen Photograph
      Participant

I like the simplified version – great contrast and shapes and the unconventional slight tilt.  It’s intriguing – who is behind the window?

billyspad
        Blocked

Maureen its a guy called Malcolm who is rather shy and hides in the closet when people are around. He has an eodipus complex and a club foot. He lives alone with with a one eyed cat called Derek who is rather fond of sardines. Hope that helps solve the intrigue.

billyspad
      Blocked

Petr I have to admit your shots have a certain charm but possibly would not hold the viewers interest for very long.

Graham Hart
      Participant

I can see what you’re trying to do here Petr and I agree that light combined with architecture can create some interesting geometrical images. Billy’s comment above is spot on though.

I think to go B&W, the image needs very strong contrasts to make it work as an art piece. Dark blacks and clearly defined edges against the whites. The first image has too many loose ends (by that I mean scuff marks, fade patches here and there, irregular shading etc) which undermine the effect desired. The very black sky just looks unnatural. All the blacks need to be as dark as the sky.

The second image is too fuzzy along the defining border lines too but for me it just isn’t intersting enough. Here’ a quick edit to show what I mean…

Dorothy
      Participant

Petr: i was having the same issues and Graham’s edit really gives substance to the black and white without the smudges of gray.

Petr Nowak
      Participant

Great comment (Billy) and edit (Graham).

This community keeps me fascinated and excited. CC is factual, polite and very helpful (very rare situation in other CC places).
      I thought my image is near perfection (however I noticed some strange smudge in the top center white part after uploading). And you pushed it to perfection (especially Grahams edit) in harmony with my image name.

Thanks !!!

Kent DuFault
      Participant

I like your imagery Petr. It’s very graphic, and these examples hold true to your style.

Frank
      Participant

Somehow Graham’s version really draws more attention to the graphics which is the most important element in this image.  I think it helps that I cannot see exactly what this is.  In the original I see a wall, then the graphics of the wall.  In Graham’s version, I see graphics first. I do not have to see that it is a sharp image of a wall.   Or, I do not want to see a wall, I want to see the lines which are emphasized by the blacks.  Not sure I am getting my point across, but I like this image a lot.  How did you do that, Graham?

Graham Hart
        Participant

Extremely simple Frank. Just used the quick selection tool for each area then applied a brightness/contrast curves layer and cranked the selection to all black or all white depending on which area was selected. Same for the grey areas but not so severe.

Tom M
      Participant

I like the simplified photo(the 2nd). It has a Picasso feel to it, even though it’s rather simple…

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar