Wilson River – Tillamook, Oregon

Latest Posts Photography Forums The Shark Tank Wilson River – Tillamook, Oregon

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author
      Kent DuFault
      Participant

When I shot this photograph- the light was as flat as a pancake. It was raining. I used post-production to breathe some life into it. It received an amazing (to me) amount of attention on Instagram. It really seemed to hit a chord with people.

What do you folks thing? Does the post-processing create a sense of realism?

John Thompson

Kent I know how PP can help a pic with flat lighting.  I have done it with some of mine.  I cannot offer any criticism here.  I love it.  The warm colors draped around the cool river are fantastic.  This is POTW material.  I had a feeling that when you went to Oregon for the holidays that you would come back with some great photos.  This is one of them.  Great capture Kent.  Well done.

Kent DuFault
        Participant

Thanks John! Your words mean a lot to me. 🙂

Lenny Wollitz
      Participant

Hi Kent, I’m not much of a landscape fan but this I would hang on the wall!

Robert Apple

I can think of about 20 things that aren’t wrong with this photo, The yellow grass on the shoreline acting as a leading line down the river to the fog, works very well, as I’m sure was your intention. I would love to see the before as well to see just how far you took it. Wonderful edit Kent.

Kent DuFault
        Participant

Thanks Robert. I posted the original below.

Tersha
      Keymaster

I really like it too, Kent, and can’t fault it. The colouring gives it an old fashioned look, which is engaging. Like Robert said, it would be really interesting to see how much magic you worked on it!

Kent DuFault
        Participant

Thanks Diane. I posted the original below.

beth
      Participant

same as everyone else.  i love it.  the yellow/blue color palette works very well.  the river leads the eye into the composition and ends at the clouds on the mountain.

the editing on this excellent, it polishes the details and tones that were already there.

the only thing i might consider playing with would be cropping the left side so it’s a little more symmetrical and the river meets the left edge like it does on the right.  but i can’t tell if that’s going to take away too many trees on the left.

Kent DuFault
        Participant

I’ll play around with the crop. Thanks Beth!

Anne Hornsby
      Participant

Beautiful and mystical, Kent.   I really like the combo of old fashioned lighting in the background – sky, fog, back hill – with the more hyper-color in the foreground.   For me, the exaggerated yellow-orange coloring of the shoreline plants really works with the subtle aqua tints in the water, and is balanced by the green, especially the long branches reaching in from the left.   Very nice targeted coloring!

Erik Fransman
      Participant

Kent you made the light mystical. The river pulls you into the fog. Works well.
      Possibly a 1×1 crop might work even a bit better. You get rid of a little bit of the foreground water which is a bit “dead water” to me. And a tad closer works a bit better for me too. However, that depends on how big you print it for your wall.

Like it a lot.

billyspad
      Blocked

Taking a photograph which was possibly taken when the light was not ideal and then using all the PP tools at hand combined with the necessarily skills to make it into a stunning picture is surely what digital photography is all about?

Just perfect mate and a large print on your wall will look superb.

Kent DuFault
      Participant

Here is the original, as it emerged from the camera…

Tom M
      Participant

I do like what you did to this Kent. I like it a lot. I think the yellow on the shores are a little too unrealistic though. Needs to be somewhere between the original and your PP one. No other complaints…

Kent DuFault
        Participant

Thanks Tom. Good suggestion! Cheers.

Graham Hart
      Participant

Engaging pic Kent. I think I’m with Tom re the yellow being a little heavy. It’s the only part of the pic which looks a bit unnatural to me. The rest of the pic has responded well to the PP, especially the tree lines left and right which have really come to life.

The edited version really ups the mood factor and leads the eye down the river toward the bend.  The mist seems to be drifting to that unknown place and together with the darker edges of the pic, the lighter centre area draws me into a sense of mystery. I think this is enhanced even more by the matte look of the distant hills which demand only a fleeting glance. All roads lead to that bend. What lies beyond?

Great image Kent. Pretty good for a ‘flat’ day 🙂

Kent DuFault
        Participant

Thanks Graham! Yeah, I’m going to tweak back the yellow.  🙂

Rob Eyers
      Participant

I like it Kent. Flat days are a favourite of mine. No bracketing required and nothing blown out.The moment I looked at it my gut said it’s going to rain and hard.

This definitely has that Instagram feel to it that has become the in thing. I guess that’s what I don’t care for…that faddish thing, it’s starting to become passe. I like the colour shifts but agree that the yellow grass is a bit too much. I would also darken the “dark darks” a touch, just because it’s me and I don’t care for that washed out feel.

Good to see you posting. Hope you had a great family holiday!

3pco
      Participant

I agree that this is a very nice composition, but on my monitor the fog looks a sulfurous yellow, and having noticed that, maybe the red/yellow saturation is a bit high overall.

Kent DuFault
        Participant

Yeah. Several folks have said that now. I think I’ll tweak them back down a little. THANKS!

Tobie

Fantastic Kent! I might have stopped a touch earlier with enriching the yellows and oranges but it’s a great shot overall!

Kent DuFault
        Participant

I think I’ll tweak them back down a little. THANKS!

Gary Zerbst
      Participant

Since you now allow it, I’ve played with your SOOC photo a bit.  I ended up SLIGHTLY  boosting saturation , increasing brilliance and contrast, and decreasing exposure.  I’ve also cropped a little  off the left  so that the river has a slight diagonal component to its leading lines.  I thought that the “flat”  part of the river at the bottom was uninteresting so I cropped  it  up to just below the first riffle.   When I had accomplished all this previsualized  changes,  I find that it’s not really an improvement , just different.     BTW it looks pretty good as a B&W too.   Cannot post it now o show you since Flickr is down and It’s late and I’m too sleepy to wait  for flickr to get fixed.    Maybe by mid morning tomorrow, I’ll be able to post it.

Frogdaily
      Participant

I do like the PP, it definitely brought life to the image. Knowing the Oregon Coast I personally like the colors you brought to the image and would not tone the grasses down … it definitely strikes a chord with me.

The only critique I would have is to clone out an eye snag – the white pipes coming down from the house on the right side.  I would also darken the branch left foreground about midway up as there is a small part of the branch that keeps drawing my eye which isn’t therein the original image.

Great capture! It may have been a flat rainy day, but you created a beautiful photo that would not have been if it weren’t for the weather.

Kent DuFault
        Participant

Great catch, Belinda! I didn’t even notice those pipes. Gone!

Gary Zerbst
      Participant

Flickr is back up, here’s Kent’s photo with my semi successful edits

7wj4iefhjn30pwvar0e7lesg8vj8zofx

Kent DuFault
        Participant

Interesting Gary. Good job. I like it.

Mariah Gauthier
      Participant

Wow, this is stunning. I personally love the yellow– it really gives it life and just pops off the screen. While it may not be realistic, that yellow does indeed exist in nature, so it does not come off as being fake to me. Not really a criticism, but couldn’t skip this without commenting.

Anne Hornsby
      Participant

I agree with Mariah — I love the 1st version, especially all aspects of the coloring.  I

Kent DuFault
        Participant

Thanks Anne. I have come to the conclusion that I’m sticking with the original as well. Sometimes a little bit of surrealism is just the ticket.

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.