Young Lady Meditating

Latest Posts Photography Forums The Shark Tank Young Lady Meditating

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author
      Mistyisle
      Participant

I like the simplicity of the image, but you might find it boring?  Get at it sharks!

Settings were f5.6; 1/320sec; 52 mms (78mms equiv);  ISO100.

Tobie

Nice shot Misty!

I feel that it’s just a little cramped left & bottom so if you have the space, lift it and move it to the right just a bit – perhaps so the ledge in front of her exits at the bottom left corner. Perhaps that would work better in a 1×1 crop, otherwise she might be cramped at the top again. Other than that I like it.

Erik Fransman
      Participant

I do like the suggestion of a 1×1 crop. However, you need more space in the org file to do that. You have to crop from her right side to keep the shoes included. From this image, there is just not enough space to do that.
      I do not know if your lens has a bigger aperture, but for a shot like this, I would prefer f/2.8. Nice shot.

Philip Watts
      Participant

I like the image. It tells a story.

I might have tried to strength the attention on the subject by increasing the contrast in that are and putting some DOF on the background.

Erik Fransman
      Participant

Jim, I think the contrast in your version works better than the increased contrast of Phikip. It’s a bit softer and that suits the image better.

Mistyisle
      Participant

Thanks for the feedback.  I have gone back to the original -which has a ton of room.  Here is a square crop, which I am still contemplating.  I will redo in B&W etc.  The top has three panels, which can be distracting.  I could either use the existing two panels on the right and elongate.  On the other hand I could extend the iron wall upwards.  Mmm??  Not sure about a square – though I could bring it down a bit and show more steps at the bottom.

Mistyisle
      Participant

Here it is, with more step and in B&W.  Bit messy in places, but even when I tidy those up, the scene is not as minimalistic as I would like (though I think it is growing on me!).

• This reply was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by Mistyisle. Reason: that it is growing on me
      • This reply was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by Mistyisle. Reason: Replaced image with new one with blur
      Petr Nowak
      Participant

Great image. I can’t find anything wrong. It has a story. Shoes-bottom left and small poster-top right (or what is it) make a nice “frame”. I wonder about contrast or local dodge/burn to focus viewer attention but the image is simple enough to focus on the lady. So nothing to complain…

EDIT: Maybe a little more space in the bottom….

• This reply was modified 4 weeks ago by Petr Nowak.
      JasenkaG
      Keymaster

Maybe that’s just me, but I find the color version in square crop much more effective than the b&w. Her yellow jacket stands out beautifully!

Rob Eyers
      Participant

I prefer the colour version too Jim. Here’s my take on it.

Mistyisle
      Participant

Yes, Rob, I like that very much!  Before I saw it I had started extending the iron fence upwards to do that, but in the B&W.  This is better – thanks!  😀

Mistyisle
      Participant

Stupidly I spent ages on select, copy and paste on the fence.  Honestly, I did this twice, with three selections, then grouping.  Duh!  then I did it with the fence in the much better way, with a very big clone tool.  A couple of hours of my ever-reducing life gone, but on the upside, I did learn!  This time, I did sharpen my subject with High Pass sharpening.  Such great feedback – sometimes it takes soooo..oo long, but in the end it is very worthwhile being patient  😀

Rob Eyers
      Participant

I like your fence extension better than mine Jim. I also used the clone stamp. I found that isolating the subject with a selection made the process easier and faster. I see you also de_saturated the orange hose and yellow foot path thingy. I also found them to be distractions.

Mistyisle
      Participant

One thing I meant to do was to lighten her face, but then forgot.  The challenge of course is not to go overboard, because she is wearing a wide-brimmed hat and would be shaded.  I have used a Curves Adjustment to do it.  Does it look okay?

Also, thanks Phillip, I have added some DOF.  Have not thought about contrast, but will do so soon.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 5 days ago by Mistyisle.
      Dahlia Ambrose
      Keymaster

Hi Jim, I like the colour version too. When converting to black and white, I think you should include the whole frame as there are a lot of lines and textures that will work great when converted to black and white. You could also lighten her face in the black and white image just like you did in the last image here 🙂

Federico Alegria
      Participant

I think everyone has made their point about this image, but for further shots, try to leave more breathing space in front of the subject’s/object’s main “side”. This will give a more pleasing feeling when reading the photograph. Rule of thirds works perfect for this, and that’s basically why it is so useful (and not hard to achieve).

Mistyisle
      Participant

Hi Federico, I have tended to be a bit nervous about not having enough space in the area into which the subject is looking.  However, in this instance, she is no-doubt looking “inside”, which compounds things.  Nevertheless, you bring up a valuable point.  A (local) friend of mine mentioned the use of the Golden Spiral, so I thought of moving the shoes and using the Spiral.  Here is the result, what do you think?  It’s slightly rough at the moment.

Frank
      Participant

Are the shoes important?  For some reason, with the shoes on this side, they play a more prominent role.  My eyes bounce right to them.  I like the placement of the woman better in this version, however.

Is the effect of the spiral to bring down the height of the wall and draw our attention more to the face?

How does one determine the size of the spiral?

Since her eyes are not open, she does not need space on the right side to “look into”.

How does color affect the mood?

https://www.verywellmind.com/the-color-psychology-of-yellow-2795823

BTW:  The “misty” B&W is my favorite (with more light on the face from other versions)

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 4 days ago by Frank.
Viewing 17 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.