Complete Amateur, just leaving Auto!

Latest Posts Photography Forums General Photo Chit Chat Introduce Yourself Here!! Complete Amateur, just leaving Auto!

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      BKulbe
      Participant
        • Allows Edits: No
        @bkulbe

No Achievements Yet!

Allows Edits? No

I’ve loved photography since my first 35mm camera way back when I was in 9th or 10th grade … I’ve graduated up to a Nikon D90 now, and love it more. Slowly working my way out of Auto and into Manual mode!

Tobie
          • Allows Edits: Yes
          @tobiepsg
          • Contender Icon
          • Throwdowner Icon
          Allows Edits? Yes

Welcome @bkulbe! Start by using Aperture or Shutter priority modes as you’ll apply that experience and knowledge in Manual mode. Use the following criteria:

1. If speed is the main consideration (birds in flight, a fast moving animal or vehicle etc), use Shutter Priority and set your camera to a fast shutter speed (1/2000s etc). The camera will then adjust your aperture & ISO as needed;
          2. If aperture is your main concern (you want a soft background for a portrait or a sharp background for a landscape), use Aperture Priority to manipulate your depth of field. Your camera will then adjust your shutter speed & ISO as needed for the correct exposure. Just make sure that it does not adjust your shutter speed too slow if you’re handholding your camera.

Once you feel at ease with these modes then switch to manual and keep ISO on auto. Once you’ve got that nailed then you might switch to manual ISO too, or switch between manual & auto ISO as needed (when you’re having to act quickly between changing scenes – e.g. snapping birds in a forest with a lot of darks & light spots – then you might just as well leave the ISO on auto and do further refining in post processing.

Some people would recommend going straight to Manual but I believe it’s a good thing to know how Aperture & Shutter speed priority modes work. There might come a day when it simply makes sense to use either of these modes instead of Manual and then you’re familiar with it. Don’t stay on them for too long though – give yourself a few weeks and then move on to Manual.

Don’t be shy to ask questions on the forum and post your pics so we can see them! 🙂

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

About Author