Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Jim Collins
      Participant
        • Allows Edits: Yes
        @jimcol51

No Achievements Yet!

Allows Edits? Yes

Hello everyone. Since I have already made a few posts, I suppose I should get off my derrierre (metaphorically speaking) and introduce myself. I hope this is not too long. Like many people, I tend to procrastinate getting started, but once moving, especially writing, I have no problem letting the words flow.

I live near the center the California Central Valley, not far from Modesto (if you need a map reference). Have lived here for approaching 30 years now. Though I live in a typical suburb, I am surrounded by farms and I really love it. Less traffic for one thing. There are certainly problems, however, not the least being that, like everyone else who lives here for very long, allergies have struck. For someone who has never had an allergy to anything, it’s pretty frustrating – but not enough to move. 🙂

I have been a technician for most of my life: in the Navy for 25 years and then working at a local food processing plant after I retired. About ten years ago I shifted to technical writing. Still do this, writing and editing and a little web design, though now self-employed. So, even though the science was disproved a long time ago, the symbolism is still effective when I say I’m strongly left-brained and need to work on strengthening the right side.

I have been interested in photography since a young age, but never went much beyond the snapshot stage until maybe 15 years ago when I shifted to digital. But even then, working serious photography into a very busy life has always been difficult.

Part of the problem is a highly eclectic life full of work and family, of course, but also way too many different hobbies and interests. So not very long ago, I figured this out and have slowly been shedding some. I’ve also decided to try to focus (no pun intended) my photographic efforts in just a few areas: bird photography, closeup/macro, and astro. Age and physical problems probably contributed to these choices but also because I love photos in these areas. Of course, I realize that to take really great photos, especially of birds, I will probably have to purchase some new lenses. But saving the $ takes time, so better to concentrate on improvement with what I have for now.

I like landscape too, but I’m resigned to probably never becoming really good at it. Besides, three is probably two too many areas to concentrate on already, so why add another.

I look forward to viewing and commenting and hopefully helping all of you with my observations. I believe that this obviously wonderful community will, through your honest advice, help improve my efforts… eventually.

Dahlia Ambrose
        Keymaster
          • https://www.instagram.com/livingsta/
          • https://www.flickr.com/photos/livingsta/
          @dahliaambrose
          • Photo of the Week Winner Icon
          • Mobile Maestro Icon
          • Member’s Pick Icon
          • Throwdowner Icon
          Allows Edits? Yes

@jimcol51 Hi Jim, welcome to the forums and good to know about you. Look forward to seeing more of your bird, macro and astro images here 🙂

Federico Alegria
          Participant
            • https://www.instagram.com/federico.alegria/
            @federicoalegria
            • Contender Icon
            • Member’s Pick Icon
            Allows Edits? Yes

Hi there @jimcol51, please share some of those images with us! Especially the astro ones if you like.

Jim Collins
            Participant
              @jimcol51

No Achievements Yet!

Allows Edits? Yes

Thank you Dahlia and Frederico.

Patrick
              Participant
                • https://www.instagram.com/patrickweir4/
                @patrickw-2
                • Photo of the Week Winner Icon
                • Contender Icon
                • Member’s Pick Icon
                • Throwdowner Icon
                Allows Edits? Yes

Hi Jim, welcome to the site , enjoy your time here mate and good to have you 😉

Jim Collins
                  Participant
                    @jimcol51

No Achievements Yet!

Allows Edits? Yes

Thanks Patrick! I’m sure I will.

Viewing 4 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

About Author