Sentimental geek seeks new perspectives and life balance

Latest Posts Photography Forums General Photo Chit Chat Introduce Yourself Here!! Sentimental geek seeks new perspectives and life balance

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Aqualinx
      Participant
        • Allows Edits: No
        @aqualinx

No Achievements Yet!

Allows Edits? No

Hi all!

My name is Charles, and I have been taking photographs since I was about six with a cheap knockoff Pocket Instamatic (110 film) my mom got at a garage sale (I think it was about $10 with several film cartridges). My mom got a nice Pentax SLR when I was young, and that is what I used growing up once she trusted me with it and the three lenses she had. I largely grew up in Colorado and we did may camping and motorhome trips all over the West, so that is where I grew to love landscape, wildlife, and travel photography.

I purchased my first SLR and three lenses for a study-abroad trip I took when I was 18 to Nepal. I shot close to 40 rolls of consumer grade film and had it processed at Costco when I got back (little did I know…) I was fearless, shameless, or stupid (or a mix of all three) in taking pictures, and several from that trip remain some of the pictures I am most proud of, though I know so much more now (model releases, respecting local culture, shyness, etc. are great obstacles for me know… lol).

What draws me most to photography is documenting my life experiences and those of people close to me, in a medium that is far easier to display and communicate than film. I am very nostalgic, and in combination with my love of gadgets, gear, and anything technical photography has been a great hobby that encourages my anemic creative skills while I indulge in my passions for documenting and reading tiny print and learning technical details, all while draining my bank account!

I look forward to furthering my craft (if it may be called that), especially improving my ability to see “photographicall” (perspective) as well as my composition and work flow (I am incredibly slow and a perfectionist, so it pains me to look at my photos once I take them). I also look forward to meeting all of you!

Cheers,
        Charles

Karen
        Participant
          • Allows Edits: No
          @karamen

No Achievements Yet!

Allows Edits? No

Welcome, @Aqualinx! This is a great place to further the craft!

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

About Author