David Chesterfield
        • Allows Edits: Yes
        @dchester1001
        • Photo of the Week Winner Icon
        • Mobile Maestro Icon
        • Contender Icon
        • Member’s Pick Icon
        Allows Edits? Yes

In this second of a new monthly series of interviews we learn a little more about Rob Eyers, and what makes him tick. I hope you enjoy this insight into one of the Forum regulars.

At the outset let me say that I’ve no idea why David has asked me to do this but I must admit I did enjoy Diane’s writings. Hopefully there will be something in this that’ll strike a note with someone.

Tell us a little about yourself and your photography journey.
        I’m from a small town on the Canadian prairies and I currently live in southern Ontario. As a kid there were always photos around that my Dad had taken but by the time I was aware of them he had long since stopped taking them. Visual art always interested me and I did a lot of drawing when I was young. Although I was encouraged to pursue it I never felt I had a great gift. Being a child of the 60’s music took over most of my time. I began playing piano at the age of 4 with my grandfather who had his masters. Later I self taught myself guitar which lead to rock and roll and playing in bands. It was later in university while studying architecture that I was first introduced to film processing and dark rooms. That left a strong impression. Later while obtaining a degree in broadcasting I was introduced to studio video cameras and lighting but I still didn’t own a camera.

A girl friend in the 70’s worked for a major camera retailer. She wanted to buy the new Canon AE1 when it first came out so she sold me her old Pentax SPF. That camera served me well for 20 years as I took photos of travels and my friends and family. You would have to class my images from that time as just happy snaps. In the process I did however learn how to work an SLR even though my images were not great. One day I happened to take a shot of a friend’s daughter drinking from a water fountain. That photo of a little girl with her tongue outstretched and water droplets frozen in air was a lucky shot but it amazed me. My friend still has that picture hanging on his wall some 35 years later. Although a lucky accident, that single image helped me realize that if one knew what they were doing it was possible to take great images even with my little SLR. I’ve been trying to figure out how to intentionally do that ever since. (sadly the negative of that picture has long since been lost and my friend has the only copy in existence…I’ll have to take a picture of it some day).

Our daughter arrived in the early 90’s and that put my camera to work big time. I was spending so much money on processing that I decided it was time to do my own developing and printing. That lead to temperature baths and colorimeters as I wasn’t happy with the colour I had been getting from the mass photo print shops. I was getting serious about it. Then digital cameras started to be introduced. By that time I had owned an electronics company for 20 years and it was pretty obvious where digital imaging was going…..it just wasn’t getting there fast enough! So I put my 35mm gear aside …bought a crappy digital camera (the best there was at the time) ….became disillusioned with the quality and put photography away for a while….back to the happy snaps (and the quality was ….bad).

While running my electronics business I had the opportunity to study colour accuracy with Joe Kane of the Imaging Science Foundation. As a result of being certified as a calibrator and trainer I became “obsessed” with colour accuracy. It has been a great thing and a curse. When we go out if there are any display devices in view my wife knows that I’ll be sitting with my back to them as they are invariably out of alignment and it drives me nuts.

In recent years…with retirement on the horizon and DSLR’s now a reality I decided that photography could be a good thing to occupy my time. I purchased the new Canon 7D and some good glass with an eye on full frame in the future. Little did I know that it would take so much of my time which is great now that I am retired.

Mentor?
        I met my mentor serendipitously while at a beach jazz festival in Mexico (Stanley Clark and Jeff Lorber as I remember) several years ago. He had recently quit his position teaching photography at a university in Puebla and was working on formulating a new business in Playa although he was still supplying photo services for some of his clients. His formal education in photography is impressive but what is more impressive is his ability and drive to help others with photography. Over the years his guidance as a friend has truly made all the difference in my understanding of the subject. In some small ways I’ve been able to help him as he has set up his photographic academy in Playa. It’s always a pleasure to take trips with him and his students as his teaching style is to be out there doing it. Although I join in as an assistant I learn much more and have a wonderful time seeing his Mexico through the eyes of his students. Here is a link to his academy. If you’re ever in the area I highly recommend getting in touch…I know you would love it. His name is Oscar Hegmann

https://www.rosacademy.com/

How would you describe your photographic journey to date?
        Well I have to admit that unlike Diane Wehr I look back at some of my images from the last few years and think to myself…..”What was I thinking?” “Why did I frame it like that” or “what the heck kind of camera setting was that”! I accept it as proof that there is a lot to learn and I’m nowhere near to where I need to be. BUT besides that ….it’s very enjoyable and never ending in its possibilities. I enjoy all kinds of photography and there is never a shortage of things to learn. Being self taught I have found sources like http://www.lynda.com to be very helpful. Deke McClelland, Ben Long, Chris Orwig and others have some good courses there. DPS – http://digital-photography-school.com/ have some interesting articles and of course there’s YouTube. I also find the Shark Tank to be very enlightening but you knew that of course.

Favorite type of photography?
        My wife and I love to travel and explore so I tend to do a lot of landscape and wildlife photography. Lately I’ve been getting more interested in creating images that involve more planning than just “oh look at that…I’ll take a picture”. Whether it requires some composite work, capturing an event over time, light painting or whatever…. the process of figuring out how to do it and then trying to accomplish it interests me. I also like to try out ideas that I see others working on such as @tersha’s use of rotolights or still life’s inspired by @valery. There are many more at Light Stalking who are slowly introducing me to b&w and street photography etc. I like it all.

Camera/Lens combo for a year?
        Conon 6D with EF 24-70mm 1:2.8 L lens. The 6D is lighter than my 7D and it’s full frame with much better high ISO noise. I like the wifi to iPad when traveling too. The 24-70 for it’s flexibility ….it works in many different situations for me.

Photographer that inspires you?
        I have to admit that I don’t spend a lot of time looking at photographs of famous photographers. By that I mean I don’t really follow the works of anyone in particular. All photos interest me for what they are and why they were taken. Emulation of a particular photographer just doesn’t interest me.

I find these photographers of interest
        Yousof Karsh – http://www.karsh.org/ – iconic portraits
        Steve McCurry – http://stevemccurry.com/galleries – documentary
        Art Wolfe – http://artwolfe.com/ – wildlife
        There are many more.

I can’t pick a single photo either – it’s as impossible as picking a favourite child as they say.

Current Projects?
        We are headed out for and extended drive to the Canadian Rockies. Old stomping grounds for me but I’ve not visited with a good camera so I’m looking forward to bringing back some good material for panoramas, blending and focus stacking. I hope I’ve learned enough to not look back in a few years and ask “what was I thinking…why didn’t I …..?!”

Things I intend to learn and improve in my photography?
        Next on the list is to spend more time with flash and lighting. Of course there’s a lot more work for me to do on available light as well but I think my own learning curve will benefit from having to make all the decisions with light placement, colour, intensity etc. Another point of focus for me is composition. Not having any formal training I rely on what looks right to my eye. I do feel that the rules sometimes are somewhat restrictive but without knowing what they are it’s difficult to justify what my eye says is best. It’s a struggle that will likely be with me for a long time.

Most Important Advice I’ve Been Given?
        With regards to images I suppose it would have to be …”less is more”.

I also live by the advice I was given by an old boss when I first entered the electronics industry. I had just been telling him about a recent accomplishment when he turned to me with a smile and said…..next!

Here are a few of my images
        Rob Eyers-20150310-1630

Rob Eyers-20150114-0384

Panama City Night 7_HDR2

CC: @admin, @albirder, @nikon-nut, @tersha

Albirder
        Participant
          @albirder

No Achievements Yet!

Allows Edits? Yes

Thank you for taking the time to share a bit of your photographic journey, Rob. There are two things about you that I already knew. You are extraordinarily gifted in post processing. And you are kind and thoughtful In helping other photographers. I suppose that you can’t say that about yourself, so I just wanted to add it.

Arthur
          Participant
            @arthurr4

No Achievements Yet!

Allows Edits? Yes

Interesting to read your history Rob.
            We have two things in common. I am a self taught guitarist that played in bands.
            My early photography was learned from 1970s photo mags. So in effect self taught.

Lia
            Participant
              • Allows Edits:
              @lia217

No Achievements Yet!

Nice photos …..

Rob Wood (Admin)
              Keymaster
                • https://instagram.com/lightstalking
                • https://www.flickr.com/photos/lightstalking
                @admin-2
                • Mobile Maestro Icon
                • Contender Icon
                • Socialite Icon
                Allows Edits? Yes

This is great. I really love this series.

Thanks for @dchester1001 for putting it together and thanks to @reyers for a really interesting read this month. It’s so great to have people like you involved with the site.

Tersha
                Keymaster
                  • https://www.flickr.com/photos/diane_rose/
                  @tersha
                  • Mobile Maestro Icon
                  • Contender Icon
                  • Member’s Pick Icon
                  • Throwdowner Icon
                  Allows Edits? Yes

What a wonderfully interesting read! I love the eclectic mix of images that @reyers takes, each so different, and each so very good.
                  I shall have to read it again and follow some of the links.
                  Thanks @reyers and @dchester1001. 🙂

Mistyisle
                  Participant
                    @mistyisle
                    • Contender Icon
                    • Throwdowner Icon
                    Allows Edits? Yes

Thanks a lot for your very thoughtful and comprehensive summary, Rob (through David). It really resonates to me – as am retired too. Hopefully, and probably, I will read it again as there is so much to digest and your insights are very useful. We have so much available to us these days and many of the things I mean to get back to I don’t. Could well be an exception !

Love your candour (New Zealand spelling) and enthusiasm !
                    Best wishes
                    Jim

Tobie
                      @tobiepsg
                      • Contender Icon
                      • Throwdowner Icon
                      Allows Edits? Yes

I’m so jealous of guys who started with photography early in their lives! I could only really acquire proper equipment after my kids left home! The one thing I regret is that digital cameras only entered the scene in the 90’s (if I remember correctly) so I’ve taken way to few shots of my family! 🙂

Interesting read and nice shots listed!

Rob Eyers
                      Participant
                        @reyers
                        • Mobile Maestro Icon
                        • Contender Icon
                        • Member’s Pick Icon
                        Allows Edits? Yes

Thanks David for starting this series. I look forward to reading about more of the participants on this forum. This wasn’t an easy exercise for me but I hope when asked everyone will give it a go. Thank you all for your very kind remarks.

Sylvain
                        Participant
                          • Allows Edits: No
                          @yumarena

No Achievements Yet!

Allows Edits? No

Wonderful Rob to learn more about your creative journey. I truly think photography is art and art is food for the soul. I feel well fed when I look at the three photos you posted above and also the ones on your Flickr page.

Thanks so much for sharing. As a fellow Canadian, I should also be out there in the Rockies taking photo at that wondrous landscape. Can wait to see what you will bring us back.

Chrissie Bee
                          Participant
                            @chrissiebee

No Achievements Yet!

Allows Edits? Yes

When I first joined LS, I saw the man kneeling at the fence and since
                            then I’ve been a fan of your work, Rob. I enjoyed reading your
                            bio. Wishing you a wonderful and safe trip through the Canadian Rockies.
                            Looking forward to seeing the results of your photography.

Rob Eyers
                            Participant
                              @reyers
                              • Mobile Maestro Icon
                              • Contender Icon
                              • Member’s Pick Icon
                              Allows Edits? Yes

I did not know were are a fellow Canadien Irene. I have enjoyed your images ever since you welcomed me to LS. Thank you for your kind words.

Thank you as well Chrissie Bee. I’m sure that many others here are enjoying your images as much as I am. LS has been a great find for me. I very much appreciate and enjoy the varied opinions and comments of the like minded and talented people who frequent this site.

Erik Fransman
                              Participant
                                • Allows Edits: No
                                @erik-fransman
                                • Mobile Maestro Icon
                                • Member’s Pick Icon
                                Allows Edits? No

Hi Rob,
                                I am sure you are going to bring back amazing photos from your current journey. Enjoy the trip.

Viewing 12 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

About Author

David Chesterfield is an IT Manager, light painter and amateur photographer living in Brisbane, Australia. You can follow him on:
                            Facebook, Instagramor Flickr.