Post Processing Software on a budget

Latest Posts Photography Forums General Photo Chit Chat Introduce Yourself Here!! Post Processing Software on a budget

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Lyle
      Participant
        • Allows Edits: No
        @lyle

No Achievements Yet!

Allows Edits? No

Hi All,

Been an active photographer for almost 8 months now,and have been using Picasa and Canon’s provided software to due some post work after shoots. I had a look and heavily contemplating getting Lightroom, but find that the price is quite steep. I accidently came across “Raw Therapee” that sounds interesting, and is also coincidently freeware, which is a plus, as I don’t have to fork out money equivalent to buying a kidney(okay maybe its not as expensive but you get the point). I downloaded it today, and before I actually go and install it this afternoon, I would like to know who’s possibly used it, and how does it rate compared to lightroom(even the earlier versions thereof)??

For those interested in seeing some of the post work I done with Picasa and later with DPP when I started shooting in RAW, go to my fb page “Lyle’s Imagery”

Thanks

CC: @admin, @tersha

Tobie
          • Allows Edits: Yes
          @tobiepsg
          • Contender Icon
          • Throwdowner Icon
          Allows Edits? Yes

$9.99pm for the latest versions of both Lightroom and Photoshop is not going to make me any poorer and it’s amazing value for money. I won’t be shopping for anything else in this lifetime…

Lyle
            Participant
              @lyle

No Achievements Yet!

Allows Edits? No

I’m in South Africa, so the Rand/Dollar exchange rate is slightly eye-watering.

mike PENRITH
            Participant
              @dobra

No Achievements Yet!

Allows Edits? No

£0 for open source Lightzone. Download – register – and process.
              mike

Tobie
                  @tobiepsg
                  • Contender Icon
                  • Throwdowner Icon
                  Allows Edits? Yes

£0 for support by forum members all over the world, including 90+% of pro photographers using LR & PS for a living.

Rob Wood (Admin)
                Keymaster
                  • https://instagram.com/lightstalking
                  • https://www.flickr.com/photos/lightstalking
                  @admin-2
                  • Photo of the Week Winner Icon
                  • Mobile Maestro Icon
                  • Contender Icon
                  • Socialite Icon
                  Allows Edits? Yes

I would REALLY suggest you reconsider getting LR and PS for $9.99 per month. They are the industry standard for a reason.

That being said, GIMP is considered an open source alternative for Photoshop and Darktable is considered an open source alternative for Lightroom. Both free obviously.

But at LEAST take the 30 day free trial from Adobe. I think you will be hooked.

Tobie
                      @tobiepsg
                      • Contender Icon
                      • Throwdowner Icon
                      Allows Edits? Yes

Agreed. The thing is that all the other packages worthwhile having a look at (PortraitPro, Topaz etc) provide plug-ins for integration into LR and/or PS. It just makes life so much easier!

Robert Apple
                      • https://www.instagram.com/robert.apple.98/
                      • https://photography667a.myportfolio.com/
                      @robertapple
                      • Photo of the Week Winner Icon
                      • Mobile Maestro Icon
                      • Contender Icon
                      • Member’s Pick Icon
                      • Throwdowner Icon
                      Allows Edits? Yes

My name is Robert and I am a Software Addict, If I don’t have it It is because I tried it and didn’t care for it or, I haven’t heard of it, My kids going through college got me academic pricing on a lot of programs. In the early days of my digital awakening eBay was a fantastic resource where early versions of Photoshop Elements can still be purchased for as cheap as $6.00 and you own the program. I didn’t really care for “Raw Therapee” and it was interesting as a open source project, but to get really serious with it you need some programming skills. Guess what I am saying is there is a reason it is free. I once downloaded a program called Exposure that was free and now a few years later with all the bugs worked out its $149.00.
                      I still have it and find it to be one of my go to PP plug ins to Photoshop, but it can be used as a stand alone program as well and for one of the Cheaper Programs it is quite good. They have a free trial and if you sign up for the news letter they put it on sale all the time, think I paid $89.00 for it last year. Good luck with your Photography.

Viewing 4 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

About Author