David Chesterfield
        • Allows Edits: Yes
        @dchester1001
        • Photo of the Week Winner Icon
        • Mobile Maestro Icon
        • Contender Icon
        • Member’s Pick Icon
        Allows Edits? Yes

This time around we learn a little more about long time lightstalker and active forum member Christina Brown aka @Chrissiebee.

Tell us a little about yourself and photography journey:
        I resided in Connecticut (half way between Boston and NYC) for most of my life working as a court reporter and owner of a reporting agency.I needed something to lift me up after a long day, so I chose photography as my escape from the uncreative nature of reporting.

Where do you live:
        About 15 years ago I moved 3,000 miles away, to the north coastal region of San Diego, CA

What are your hobbies & interests:
        Sometimes I think I have too many! Photography, art, writing poetry and prose, reading, Pilates reformer, fine dining, nature walks. I’m fortunate that my partner, David, is also involved in photography and our weekend photo shoots are the highlight of my week.

How long have you had an interest in photography?
        Back in 1975 I bought my first SLR cameras, one for color and one for black & white.

What got you interested in photography:
        A photographer friend ignited the flame and I was on my way. I became active with the local chapter of the Photographic Society of America (PSA), both the color and black & white divisions, and I found my passion. The members were seasoned,talented and instrumental in getting me started.

What is the best advice you received so far re photography?
        “If your photographs aren’t good enough, you‘re not close enough.” Robert Cappa

How do you maintain inspiration?
        One thing I do is view the photography of others daily. Being on line I have access to the work of photographers worldwide. Seeing and appreciating the talent of others motivates me to push myself to be better.
        Not a day goes by when I don’t do something related to photography, be it editing, shooting or just viewing.
        It’s what gives me peace.

What is your favorite subject to shoot?
        I love to shoot candid portraits. There’s so much beauty and diversity on the street.

Do you have a favorite type of photography?
        Everywhere I go my eyes constantly scan for good subjects. I like to get up close and personal when I’m out on the street attempting to capture the essence of the person. At the other end of the spectrum is my love for nature photography. I’m fortunate to live in a place where I can indulge in both subjects I love.

How would you describe your photographic journey to date:
        When I first began in the late ’70’s, traveling the world was a high priority so most of my photography was along that line.
        This continued until 1990 when life managed to get in the way and I ended up slowing down. Cancer struck several times during the following years and recovering was my first priority. When I was blessed again with my health, it was already the
        digital age and I was clueless to it all. I concentrated on other interests after deciding I probably was not technical enough to enter this “new world” of photography. I finally made the plunge in mid 2014 and began the learning process.
        I feel comfortable now and am enjoying it more than ever.

Self taught:
        Mostly I learned by experimenting what worked and what didn’t. I still do that today. Joining with other photographers who were more experienced was the most helpful. The PSA local group had critiques twice a month and I attended those regularly for years. Hearing what was right and what was wrong with a photo was a good learning tool for me.

Formal training
        I went to private classes given by two award-winning professionals who taught me printing techniques and how to be a perfectionist in the darkroom.
        Those many hours in a dark closet sniffing chemicals in the glow of a red lamp seem so primitive now compared to our technology today.

Do you have a Mentor?
        My PSA Hot Stove League group. We sat around and shared and learned from our honesty with one another.

Current photo projects
        Since I shoot several days a week, I have not kept up with all the organizing, editing and deleting of thousands of photos. It’s a big project that I will begin mañana. (Most of them destined for the Trash.) There’s a series of windflowers I’m working on and hope to include my poetry to complete it.

If you had to choose one camera and one lens for a year, which would it be:
        Since I’m so new to digital equipment, I’ll have to say my Canon 70-200 L lens. My camera is
        a Canon T5i which is serving its purpose for the time being.

What is your favorite image right now:
        It changes almost daily. This week I’m admiring the self-portraits of a woman, Angelika Ejtel, whose photos are dramatic, and I would say mysterious with a vintage look. She can be found on several sites including https://angelikaejtel.wordpress.com and https://www.flickr.com/photos/60447970@N04/. Another photographer I recently discovered who does candid street portraits is Sohail Karmani: https://www.flickr.com/photos/sohailkarmani/.

A favourite of yours?
        One favorite B&W photo which was in the Shark Tank:
        Up #0426

The series of windflowers I’ve been working on are favorites, and a few of them can be viewed on my Flickr site: Jewel of the Garden 1672

Windflowers #3  3558

The Fading Jewel #1 Japanese Windflower Anemone 1995

Favourite of someone else’s
        This one:
        https://poietes.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/robert-demachy-figure-tragique-1899-photogravure.jpg is one I go to often.

Is there a photographer that inspires you:
        For a present day photographer, Annie Leibovitz’s portraits, and for Pictorialism, Robert Demachy. The artist William Adolphe Bouguereau is very inspiring.

Biggest photography challenge:
        The technicalities of my equipment, and I don’t seem to have the patience required to sit and read manuals. Also my hands/fingers are beginning to exhibit the symptoms of overuse and I’m now forced to limit my time on the computer.

Anything specific you intend to learn or improve:
        Besides the technicalities that will improve my images, I would like to learn more about creating artistic images by various methods.

To see more of my work check out my page on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/chrissie_bee/

CC: @chrissiebee

lburgess
        Participant
          • Allows Edits: No
          @lburgess

No Achievements Yet!

Allows Edits? No

Chrissie Bee! I so enjoyed learning about your journey! I always enjoy your creativity and perspective! I often look at your images for inspiration. I love your experimental style and willingness to “work a shot” and play with perspective. Keep em coming!

Albirder
          Participant
            @albirder

No Achievements Yet!

Allows Edits? Yes

Your story is as compelling as your photography. I am so glad you are a member here!

Kent DuFault
            Participant
              @kent
              • Contender Icon
              Allows Edits? Yes

Great story!

Chrissie Bee
              Participant
                @chrissiebee

No Achievements Yet!

Allows Edits? Yes

Thank you! LightStalking has been such a wonderful experience for me. Thanks to everyone for helping me along the way and making it so much fun.

Tersha
                Keymaster
                  • https://www.flickr.com/photos/diane_rose/
                  @tersha
                  • Photo of the Week Winner Icon
                  • Mobile Maestro Icon
                  • Contender Icon
                  • Member’s Pick Icon
                  • Throwdowner Icon
                  Allows Edits? Yes

Interesting story, Chrissie. I love your Windflower series, they look good singly, but, so much more when put together.

Sylvain
                  Participant
                    @yumarena

No Achievements Yet!

Allows Edits? No

You are a beautiful and sensitive soul Chrissie and I know it through your beautiful and sensitive photography. I love so many of your photos that it would be impossible to pick one up.

It was quite an interesting read and if you ever translate your project into a book, I’ll buy your first copy.

Chrissie Bee
                      Participant
                        @chrissiebee

No Achievements Yet!

Allows Edits? Yes

Irene, thanks for your thoughtful words … really do appreciate that coming from you since I’m one of your admirers! Wish I had the time/energy and everything else it takes to complete an actual book. But should that come to pass, I’ll comp you my first copy 😉

Erik Fransman
                      Participant
                        @erik-fransman
                        • Mobile Maestro Icon
                        • Member’s Pick Icon
                        Allows Edits? No

Hi Chrissie,

Good story.
                        Nice to get to know you. Of course we know quite a bit about you already through your pictures (yeah the cliché, a picture tells……)
                        Great that you had two camera’s in 1975, one for color and one for B&W. When I needed a second camera in those days, I always needed to borrow one.
                        Your hours in a dark closet may seem primitive, but that’s an experience that you keep with you the rest of your life, and it shows!

You have a good eye, choose well and are very creative.
                        I enjoy your pictures!

Rob Eyers
                        Participant
                          @reyers
                          • Mobile Maestro Icon
                          • Contender Icon
                          • Member’s Pick Icon
                          Allows Edits? Yes

I’ve been enjoying your images Christina and I thoroughly enjoyed this information you’ve shared about yourself. I particularly like your creative images which are quite inspiring. Hopefully that Wacom tablet will give you some relief with your post processing. I look forward to your future postings.

Lenny Wollitz
                          Participant
                            @el-dub
                            • Contender Icon
                            Allows Edits? Yes

Wonderful story. It’s so nice to have some in depth info. on the members here.

Chrissie Bee
                              Participant
                                @chrissiebee

No Achievements Yet!

Allows Edits? Yes

@ErikFransman, Thanks, Erik. Carrying two heavy cameras and several fixed lenses back in the days of film was heavy and cumbersome but it was worthwhile for me since I shot about 50/50 of color and b&w back then. Glad to be here in the digital age!

@RobEyers, I’m still working on getting the Wacom set up … maybe next week she says. 😉

Lenny, It’s your turn soon. Look forward to hearing about your photographic journey.

Jacques Brierre
                              Participant
                                • Allows Edits:
                                @l0fty

No Achievements Yet!

Honored to read and learn about you.
                                Your work is inspirational. It slows me down and forces me to stare for some time.
                                There’s this Peter Weir-like mystery and movie quality that I really like.
                                Looking forward to seeing more.
                                Cheers!

Orkhan
                                Participant
                                  @orkhan

No Achievements Yet!

Allows Edits? Yes

Great story!

Bobbie
                                  Participant
                                    @bobbie

No Achievements Yet!

Allows Edits? Yes

Chrissie, it’s about time we got to hear the inside stories.
                                    I see and admire the results of your long, sometimes difficult, journey all the time. It’s obvious that it’s a journey that never ends – you’re learning and developing all the time and I’m glad that I get to be a remote participant in it.
                                    Your feedback to all of us is always appreciated.
                                    I’m definitely going to check out some of the links you posted.
                                    Thanks for everything.

Viewing 12 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

About Author

David Chesterfield is an IT Manager, light painter and amateur photographer living in Brisbane, Australia. You can follow him on:
                                Facebook, Instagramor Flickr.