A casual bird click

Latest Posts Photography Forums The Shark Tank A casual bird click

This topic contains 13 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Dorothy 3 months ago.

• Author

Sarthak Choudhary
    Participant

birds of Gauribidanur

ISO 640

300mm

f/6.3

1/250 s

Those colours work really well I think – perhaps there is a bit of grain in the bokeh but I don’t think I would change much about this photo.

JasenkaG
    Keymaster

Hi Sarthak, that’s such a cute bird 🙂

When it comes to critique, I think that highlights look a bit blown out. I would also use a lower ISO for this kind of scene.

Sarthak Choudhary
      Participant

The light was really an issue in this place hence the 640 ISO. But I didn’t know noise would be so dominant at such low ISO.

Rob Eyers
    Participant

I understand Jasenka’s comment about the ISO but you were at 1/250 on a 300mm lens so ISO 640 seems an OK compromise.

Maybe remove some of the leaves from around the edges that are distractions. The one in the bottom right points to the bird which is a plus. I would also try to lessen the amount the leaves are blown out and crop a bit tighter…something like this maybe.

Sarthak Choudhary
      Participant

I thought both leaves pointed to the bird. Your crop works better.

P71
      Participant

Fantastic photo , real eye catcher.

Moving my eyes from the orig to this small edit from Rob , i instantly felt a more balanced image , the two leaf make a nice frame.

Nice work both.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by  P71.

Petr Nowak
    Participant

I feel the leaf “above” the bird a little bit disturbing.

Sarthak Choudhary
      Participant

agreed but I am stuck with it. If I crop the image too much, noise becomes noticeable. Here is another crop where I tried to use leaf and bird in a symmetric fashion. Seems fine to me, don’t know if it works for others as well.

Petr Nowak
    Participant

Yes, diagonal leafs work much better imho…

Graham Hart
    Participant

Lovely pic Sarthak and I think Rob’s edit helps to lessen the noise issue by pulling the eye more strongly onto the bird. Did a quick denoise edit with the NIK filter and also a ‘Sharpened for web’ treatment that comes with a luminoisty masking app I have. I think it helps with the noise a bit more;

Dorothy
    Participant

Hi Sarthak @sarthchoudhary i really like this shot and have been reading everyone’s comments and checking out their edits.  I took Graham’s edit and did a content aware fill in PS and removed the upper leaf and i think it made a huge difference and truly made this little guy the subject.

casual bird click edit-by-dms

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.