A Interesting Solution to a Challenge

Latest Posts Photography Forums General Photo Chit Chat A Interesting Solution to a Challenge

This topic contains 13 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Robert Apple 3 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Robert Apple

In my travels I stumbled on a collection of old Fire Fighting Aircraft as a memorial to those that served and honoring those that gave their lives in the service of this very dangerous type of flying.
    The planes were located behind a 14ft chain link fence and were fairly close to it making normal photography almost impossible, Then I had an idea. I have this $12 dollar , on Ebay new, 12mm f1.4 CCTV lens that is about 4in long and 1in around that I have been carrying around for a while and haven’t really used, so I put it on the camera, stuck the lens through the chinks on the fence and started shooting.
    This was a 4 shot pano.
    I kind of like the effect it created in shooting this subject matter on a rainy day.

Fire Fighter's

Dorothy
    Participant

Wow. What a great picture and the RED totally makes it.   I hope everyone looks at the larger version to really appreciate this.  Awesome subject.  Heard there was an old aircraft graveyard about 30 or so minutes from where i live, now i will have to go find it.  Thanks for sharing this Robert. (clever way to get around that fence issue.)

Robert Apple

Thanks Dorothy, it was definitely an interesting experiment with some unique results, between the Lens, Rain and ground fog it gave a interesting feel to things, I bought this lens as sort of a experiment in Lomography type photography and it came with a free adapter. There is a electronics recycling vendor in Colorado I contacted to see if they had any old security cameras that I might scavenge some CCTV lenses off of, he said probably about 2000, and if I removed them myself I could buy them for $3 each.
      My name is Robert, and I’m a Lensoholic.

John Thompson

So very well done Robert.  I am curious how did you get the lens to mount?  Or was it made for the camera you were using?

@dmstringer I would love to have an opportunity to shoot in an aircraft graveyard.  So many stories.

Robert Apple

Thanks John, it came with a free adapter and some extension rings for macro photography, on the M4/3 mounting system for mirrorless cameras you get little to no vigenetting with these lenses, I beleive they work on the mirrorless Fuji’s as well. As I put in my response to Dorothy I have discovered you can get these used for less then the price of a cup of coffee.
      There were several of these Planes there and I got pics of a few of them, more to come, I didn’t get them all as the rain became very heavy and we ran for cover. I am definitely planning to revisit this spot.

There is a web site for the Museum if your interested, they hadn’t opened for the season yet when I was there, maybe I can get on the other side of the fence next time.

Museum of Flight and Aerial Firefighting

Dahlia Ambrose
    Keymaster

This has really come out so well and and the rain adds a mood to the image. Beautiful colours as well Robert 🙂

Lynne Guenther
    Participant

Very well executed!

bucweeet
    Participant

Really nice Robert!

bucweeet
      Participant

Keep getting Lynne’s comment written…

Really Well Done Robert!!!

Robert Apple

Thanks Paul, and when I replied to Lynne it fixed yours.

beth
    Participant

nice find!  love the red nacelles.

Robert Apple

Thanks Beth, I think this plane came from the Royal Canadian Air Force.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.