Bundled Up

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      Preston
      Participant

I’ve been busy at work recently and haven’t had time to really shoot.  So, I started processing some pictures from the beginning of my photographic adventure.  The subject is my brother-in-law while we were out for a walk before going to New Year’s party circa 2017 (he’s the only one in my family who doesn’t mind me taking their picture all the time).  I was going for the image having a weathered, tough feel like he’d be an arctic explorer.  I’m also considering putting this one on the wall so I want some critique before wasting the paper.  f5.6, 1/500 sec, ISO 100, 75mm.  

Preston
      Participant

Here’s the original if it helps

billyspad
      Blocked

Nice sharp portrait for sure with great B/W conversion. Not convinced about the crop it looks a little awkward with his hands missing so maybe crop higher up the body? The cables and metal tower thing for me would need to go before considering a print. Looks a pretty easy candidate for a sky replacement which would eliminate most of the problem.

Dorothy
      Participant

Love the b&w version.  i would probably crop the right to eliminate the tower and remove the wires from the right leading to the middle tower especially those that appear to be coming out of his head.  the body crop looks fine to me, i am quite used to these type of crops from watching news casters reporting out in the field.

Preston
        Participant

Thanks Dorothy.  You’ll see a common theme in my responses about the hands (wish I shot lower but hey, can’t win them all).  I think I’ll lighten the wires and towers a bit to make them less prevalent and see where that leads me.

JasenkaG
      Keymaster

Just like the others have already mentioned (but I feel like I need to say it once again) this is a great B&W conversion!

I’m with Billy when it comes to his suggestion on cropping – it looks a bit awkward to cut off  his hands. I would consider a different cropping.

I don’t mind the tower and wires, I think they give a certain industrial vibe to this scene and it makes it more complete. Without the tower, maybe everything would look kinda empty.

Preston
        Participant

The more everyone mentions it, the more I see it.  I wish I got the hands in there especially since I think having the arms conveys motion.

I agree about the towers and wires.  I prefer some stuff in the background to add a bit of context or depth to the picture.  I may add a bit of blur or lighten them just to lose them in the background a bit.

Thanks for the comments!

billyspad
      Blocked

Preston quick and dirty sky exchange which gets rid of the pylons and cables. Brush in some bushes and your ready to go. This took 12 minutes spend an hour on it and you will have a perfect picture to hang. My crop may not be your choice and my B/W conversion will no doubt differ to your chosen finish. Just to show ya mate that all that clone stamp stuff is for kids. Real men grasp the nettle lol

Preston
        Participant

Nice editing billyspad!  I’m still learning the whole post production thing so replacing a sky will definitely be a learning experience for me. I’m still up in the air about the crop with the missing hands but thanks for the ideas on how to tweak it.

Erik Fransman
      Participant

Hi Preston,

Good sky replacement by Billy, nice and sharp portrait.

What I don’t like is his left (camera left) eye is looking off to the left.
      That would stop me from printing it and hang it on the wall.

In the past, I have tried to “correct” an eye like that (made it look at us but that sound easier than done) but never with satisfying results. (I was always left with artifacts from the correction)

Preston
        Participant

Hey Erik,

Would you believe me if I sad he has a glass eye and that’s how it goes?  All kidding aside I tried to get the whites in that eye to show up, but that was a nasty shadow and I gave up.  Any time I try to heal/remove/drastically change something, I royally mess up the picture.  Billy proved it’s possible below so I’ll try again to get it right.

Thanks!

Graham Hart
      Participant

I had a play around with the B&W (which is definitely the better version) and came up with three or four different edits then looked at them all alongside your original B&W and decided yours was best just as it is.

Preston
        Participant

Thanks for taking a look at it Graham!

billyspad
      Blocked

Are these better eyes Eric?

Erik Fransman
        Participant

Yes they are better.

billyspad
          Blocked

New layer in Photoshop paint in new white area to suit reducing size of the iris slightly. Reduce opacity and add Gaussian blur around 2 pixels. No artifacts with this system.

Erik Fransman
            Participant

good job! billy.

Preston
            Participant

I’m going to try to mimic this Billy!

billyspad
              Blocked

If you need further help then PM me with an email addy for you and I’ll write it up in a tutorial form. Step by step. You need Photoshop if you want me to do this for you.

Preston
                Participant

Photoshop is on the horizon for me.  I’m quickly realizing there’s only so much I can do with the free apps on my aging tablet, but I’ll remember to ask when I upgrade to real software.

Preston
      Participant

So here’s what I came up with.  I went with a wide angle crop as to not lose the background and kept some of the arms in as to not make him look like the Staypuft Marshmallow Man.  The more I looked, the more I liked the towers since Billy’s sky edit gave me a feeling of being on a beach rather than a cold environment (I’ll remember about sky replacement, I’m just not feeling it for this picture).  I’m happy @erik-fransman called me out on the eye.  Due to software limitations, I used paintbrush (not sure if that’ll get me in trouble with the LS community, but what the heck.  Also I’m pretty sure I lose some image quality) to add the whites into the eyes and modeled it after @billyspad ‘s enlarged image.  I want to thank everyone else for taking a look at it and commenting! @dmstringer  @JasenkaG @diripics

JasenkaG
        Keymaster

Great job with this edit, Preston! This crop definitely works better.

Preston
          Participant

Thanks Jasenka!  I’m quite pleased with how it turned out and it looks pretty good on paper too.

Lenny Wollitz
      Participant

This shot certainly gets a reaction from this viewer… I’m so glad I don’t live in Minnesota any longer!   Nice processing and I’m glad you left the power line in.

Preston
        Participant

Thanks Lenny!! This was Northeast Pennsylvania during a cold snap. For a couple weeks we didn’t get out of the single digits (above zero of course), but I’m sure you’ve seen far worse in MN.

Frank
      Participant

Ireally like what the B+W conversion did to the face.  It gives it much more of a cold weathered look, a face hardened by cold, especially the nose.  At first I did not like those towers, but somehow it does add to the desolation of the place.  Who would want to be there in the cold? I might not be discouraged by a cold day at the beach, but who would want to be under power line towers?

I did lighten the image a bit and tried to add a blurry haze effect hoping to bring out the coldness and detract from anything close to a nice sunny day.  When converting a clear blue sky to B+W, one is still left with a clear gray, so to add some texture or add some variety to the plain look, I add some fake clouds.   Filter > Render > Clouds and the image becomes a blotchy blur of strange shapes!  But, using the Transform Tool, narrow the fake clouds to just fill the sky area.  Next, change the mode to Soft Light,  add a Gaussian Blur, then a motion blur to taste and angle.  In this case I angled up to the right, the wind direction of the scarf.  I did have to mask out his face and other areas where the clods touched.

cold man

Preston
      Participant

I see your point about the clear grey vs the textured sky and it seems like an easy enough fix and definitely adds texture to the picture .  I’ve experimented with haze before, but never really made the ultimate decision to apply it (mostly tried it in non-winter images).  I see how it can add an air of coldness to the picture like a little bit of spindrift going on.  I’ll try making my cold-weather pictures colder.  Keeping with the wide angle crop, this is a good take on it Frank!  Thanks for commenting!

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

About Author