Dandelion

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Renee P
      Participant

I would love feedback on this photo. This is my first attempt at this and I spent the afternoon playing with it!! what could I do to make it look better?  Should I be able to get in closer using a macro lens? should i be able to get the entire “flower” in focus?  I’m getting just the center. I used a 90mm f2/8 macro lens with a Nikon d7000 in Aperture priority.  SS 1/60, f/14, ISO 500, with a flash and diffuser.  I tried different ISO’s, different apertures.  I think it looks better when zoomed in…..

First Dandelion

Tobie

I think your depth of field was way to short to do your subject justice. It would be nice to see all (or most) of the seeds in focus. f/14 was a great attempt but I reckon you were probably way too close to stretch the DOF.

A 1:1 crop with a bit of space at the top would probably be more appealing to the eye.

Dahlia Ambrose
      Keymaster

Hi Renee, this is a beautiful picture of the dandelion, especially with the dew drops on it.

I agree with Tobie about the depth of field. At f/14, you may have to move a bit further away to get the entire flower in focus and then you can later crop to fill the frame. Also would be nice to have some space on top 🙂

Renee P
      Participant

Does this look better?  SS 1/80, f/14, iso 500.  used a nikon d7000 and Tamron 90mm F2.8 Macro

Dandelion Take 2

Frank
      Participant

Wow that center looks great.  If you were using a tripod, you might try focus staking next time. Or, with macro, set your focus as best you can either auto or manual, but then move your body and camera slightly closer or maybe back up slightly to see if that focuses better.   In other words, just slightly sway your body back and then forward.  Also in Live View mode, push the zoom in button it is on the lower left side of the back of the camera.  It looks like a magnifying glass with a plus sign,  The zoom out button is just above it with a minus sign.  Press the zoom several times to increase the magnification.  Then focus using that close in view.   You can move around the screen to get the focus point you want.   I think you can also use this zoom feature in playback molde to check on. your image focus.  I really like the background of your image.   If the blur around the edges bothers you, crop down for an even closer view.  Here is the extreme crop.  also included a dark reddish fill layer to give it a glow.   ( a the deep red solid fill layer.or another color of your choice)  Choose the color burn mode which will make it look horrible, but then, lower the fill down to 15% or so and lower the opacity.  The key is the fill percentage.  Get it low.  To help with your full size image, sharpen the heck out of it!   Goto filter>other>high pass and boost up the radius slider.  Then change the blend mode to Linear Light to get your sharpened image, then lower the opacity a bit.  (To get the reddish color, goto the color picker then click on the reddish brown center of the dandelion, then maybe go a bit darker or lighter.  That should be the color of your solid fill layer)

For an abstract look:

• This reply was modified 1mo, 2wk ago by Frank.
      Tobie

The 2nd one is looking stacks better Renee. Interesting version by Frank too.

JasenkaG
      Keymaster

Frank’s version looks fantastic! Besides that, I would perhaps leave a bit more space on top (in your original image). I think it would look more balanced like that.

Renee P
      Participant

Thank you all for your feedback.  I think I’m going to learn so much in this group!

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

About Author