Does This Worry Anyone Else?

Latest Posts Photography Forums General Photo Chit Chat Does This Worry Anyone Else?

This topic contains 14 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 7 years, 12 months ago.

• Author

Practically every popular storage service (and by popular, I mean Facebook, Google +, Flickr) has a history of deleting legitimate accounts without explanation.

Now, I keep any photos I want backed up in several other places, but I often use those service (FB especially) for my crappy photos of groups of friends at parties or whatever. Fun memories, but poor photos.

I am beginning to hear more and more horror stories.

And I got a fright today because last week, they shut down the “Light Stalking” G+ account cos it wasn’t a “real name”, but apparently I got off lightly because I still have my email, docs, picassa etc for that account. Some people lost the whole lot!!

Anonymous

The G+ are the only ones I’ve heard of and they’re all for similar reasons to yours. And if you let them know the reasons for the acct. you should get it reinstated, others have. (slashdot.org has a piece on it currently)

In the end you get exactly what you pay for. It’s free. It’s not yours. You really have little to complain about. If you don’t want your stuff taken off the net then buy your own domain and host it. (using the you here in the general sense)

I’m not exactly what people are complaining about. They do not own, manage, or maintain these services and pay nothing for them. They violate the TOS and then squawk about it. Seems more like a bunch of children feeling like they’re privileged when they in fact are not.

Anonymous

The G+ are the only ones I’ve heard of and they’re all for similar reasons to yours. And if you let them know the reasons for the acct. you should get it reinstated, others have. (slashdot.org has a piece on it currently)

In the end you get exactly what you pay for. It’s free. It’s not yours. You really have little to complain about. If you don’t want your stuff taken off the net then buy your own domain and host it. (using the you here in the general sense)

I’m not exactly what people are complaining about. They do not own, manage, or maintain these services and pay nothing for them. They violate the TOS and then squawk about it. Seems more like a bunch of children feeling like they’re privileged when they in fact are not.

I do pay for Flickr. So have several people who have had their accounts deleted without explanation.

And I wouldn’t mind about the other so much if the rules were applied evenly. There are plenty of G+ accounts still in good standing that are clearly not “real names”, but have a lot of power.

I do pay for Flickr. So have several people who have had their accounts deleted without explanation.

And I wouldn’t mind about the other so much if the rules were applied evenly. There are plenty of G+ accounts still in good standing that are clearly not “real names”, but have a lot of power.

Dru Stefan Stone
    Participant

Actually, it isn’t just that it isn’t a real name, it is I’m sure as they think of it, a business, which will be rolling out later. Did they tell you that they are accepting BETA business users? I think you are fortunate though. From the sounds of things they haven’t been very clear when you sign up or so many people would not have initially used their “business” or pseudo names! I don’t like the way they are handling it that is for certain. Are you familiar with Robert Scoble? I know he is taking notes on this, I’m not certain what he is planning but he’s smart, and writes well, so I look forward to his article.

BTW, I don’t use an online source for my back up at all. I do have a Photoshelter account which I have woefully neglected of late trying to work on a few other things, but that would be the closest I would consider to come to an online back up. I actually use a docking station with several 1-2TB drives and keep multiple copies in various places to ensure security and insurance of protection of my photographs. I’m going on my 4 & 5th because I use multiple back-ups. If I could afford a decent online service I would consider it! I guess I have never thought of flickr or any of those types of photo websites as backup, I put up very small watermarked photographs mostly!

Dru Stefan Stone
    Participant

Actually, it isn’t just that it isn’t a real name, it is I’m sure as they think of it, a business, which will be rolling out later. Did they tell you that they are accepting BETA business users? I think you are fortunate though. From the sounds of things they haven’t been very clear when you sign up or so many people would not have initially used their “business” or pseudo names! I don’t like the way they are handling it that is for certain. Are you familiar with Robert Scoble? I know he is taking notes on this, I’m not certain what he is planning but he’s smart, and writes well, so I look forward to his article.

BTW, I don’t use an online source for my back up at all. I do have a Photoshelter account which I have woefully neglected of late trying to work on a few other things, but that would be the closest I would consider to come to an online back up. I actually use a docking station with several 1-2TB drives and keep multiple copies in various places to ensure security and insurance of protection of my photographs. I’m going on my 4 & 5th because I use multiple back-ups. If I could afford a decent online service I would consider it! I guess I have never thought of flickr or any of those types of photo websites as backup, I put up very small watermarked photographs mostly!

Anonymous

I agree that nothing online should ever be considered backup. How little control you have of their service. In the end, no matter what G+ does with an account, it is entirely their call as are most all of the others. If flickr deletes for no apparent reason, call or email them and start talking about litigation. It’s the only way you get anyone’s attention in the states.

I too maintain multiple backups in various locations locally to even reduce the risk of fire, flood, tornado or break in. It just seems to be the prudent thing to do. Online is lowres display copy only.

To think a bit more on the flickr/paid deletion thing. Class action lawsuit may very well get them to jump. Perhaps contacting the EFF may be a good place to start. Or find some parasitic SOB lawyer who’ll go after them and not think twice.

Anonymous

I agree that nothing online should ever be considered backup. How little control you have of their service. In the end, no matter what G+ does with an account, it is entirely their call as are most all of the others. If flickr deletes for no apparent reason, call or email them and start talking about litigation. It’s the only way you get anyone’s attention in the states.

I too maintain multiple backups in various locations locally to even reduce the risk of fire, flood, tornado or break in. It just seems to be the prudent thing to do. Online is lowres display copy only.

To think a bit more on the flickr/paid deletion thing. Class action lawsuit may very well get them to jump. Perhaps contacting the EFF may be a good place to start. Or find some parasitic SOB lawyer who’ll go after them and not think twice.

Dru Stefan Stone
    Participant

@admin I tagged you on G+ with Robert Scoble’s response to this. Hope it helps.

Dru Stefan Stone
    Participant

@admin I tagged you on G+ with Robert Scoble’s response to this. Hope it helps.

I try to avoid lawyers where I can. 😉

I try to avoid lawyers where I can. 😉

Anonymous

https://plus.google.com/113116318008017777871/posts/VJoZMS8zVqU

Horowitz’ clarification of the Scoble discussion.

In regard to flickr, if you feel like you were treated unjustly and they do not respond, lawyers may be your only recourse. Again the EFF may very well be worth contacting to see if they can help.

Anonymous

https://plus.google.com/113116318008017777871/posts/VJoZMS8zVqU

Horowitz’ clarification of the Scoble discussion.

In regard to flickr, if you feel like you were treated unjustly and they do not respond, lawyers may be your only recourse. Again the EFF may very well be worth contacting to see if they can help.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.