First spring landscape

Latest Posts Photography Forums The Shark Tank First spring landscape

This topic contains 36 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  Steve Walker 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

ElinL
    Participant

Canon 5d mk4

Tamron 24-70mm

24 mm

f/8

Iso 100

Speed 1/160

Processed in LR and PS

Interesting voices and views in the shark tank these days.

A very recent image. Have tried to look at it again and again – not quite satisfied, especially with the foreground. Have tried to increase the play of colours in the yellow grass etc, but feel that it takes too much away from the mountains and sea. Not sure. Question is if you have any views or suggestions to improve the image. First day of spring

Lenny Wollitz
    Participant

Hi Elin.  I’m not an expert on landscapes but I really like this one, especially on my larger monitor.  The rocks in the left foreground and the water leading the eye to the mountain in the background and the not overdone sky are all positives for me and keep me looking.  I’m not sure if I like the horizon being centered from top to bottom and will be interested in what the landscape people have to say.

ElinL
      Participant

Thank you Lenny. I have tried various crops to change the balance and this was what I found worked best. Therefore I have been playing with the foreground to see if it has effect, but not found a satisfactory solution. Maybe best to let it stew for a while.

billyspad
    Blocked

Elin its superb! Maybe with a heavy dose of pixel peeping one could find a teeny weeny minuscule small as not to be noticed fault but as the overall effect is outstanding who would want to to that? Went to Pick of the Week to nominate this and someone had got there first! Just get it in a frame and call it a wrap! Well done.

ElinL
      Participant

Thanks Billy for stroking my feathers the right way this time ;), positive words very much appreciated.

bucweeet
    Participant

Like the others, I like it the way it is Elin.

But after reading your intro to the image regarding the foreground, my only thought would/could be a small crop on the bottom, however, it does end up in a non-standard size for framing. As all I did was crop the image, maybe clone out the top of the bottom rock.

ElinL
      Participant

Thank you Paul, tried both suggestions – tried cloning out the stone but it was as if the image lost its anchor point….

bucweeet
        Participant

Understood Elin.  I really like your latest version! (although the original is pretty stunning as is).

Graham Hart
    Participant

I like the crop as initially presented Elin. Sometimes a centred horizon works well and I think this image is one of those times. The clouds in the sky, the body of water, the foreground and hills all lead the eye to the central hill and it’s reflection in the lake and so I wouldn’t crop it. I raised the vibrance of the central hill just a tad and also the yellows you mentioned in the foreground.

What I really like about this pic is the clarity throughout from foreground to the distance. There does seem to be some slight darkening on the LH side of the image which I lightened also.

Despite from my fumbling around with it, it is a stunning image as is Elin. Beautiful.

ElinL
      Participant

Thanks Graham, your suggestions are actually very good. I´ll work with them a bit – will post the result 🙂

Kent DuFault
    Participant

Very nice Elin!

ElinL
      Participant

Thanks Kent !

John Thompson

Dr. Elin this is very nice indeed.

ElinL
      Participant

Thank you Mr Thomson, appreciated !

Lenny Wollitz
    Participant

I like the original more after seeing what others have done to it.

Robert Apple

No Suggestion Elin but there is this.
    Your Photo was recognized in the Members Picks Week of April 22 Forum  ⬅ Click Here

ElinL
      Participant

Thank you Robert 🙂

Rob Eyers
    Participant

This beautiful as it is Elin.

In response to your original question, I tried a couple of things to see if they would be of any help in satisfying you. Here’s what I’ve tried.

The man from mars move in Lab applied only to the foreground. This helps drive similar colours apart which can add to depth and detail.

Some selective dodging and burning in the foreground constrained with luminosity masks.

A run of blur sharpening which is constrained to the foreground with a gradient mask.

Personally I think you’ve nailed the crop and exposure so the rest is simply a matter of your taste and as I said it’s truly beautiful as you’ve originally posted it.

Falxy
    Participant

Yeah the rule is two thirds…………………………………………..lovely works for me!! 🙂

Frank
    Participant

Beautiful scenery.  What a view!    I think you are right about trying to get some color out of the foreground, and I think there is red there. so you could try adding red in selective color.  Just for a slightly different look I did add some ”warmth” hoping to emphasize the foreground.  Also the darkness of the left top corner clouds  looked a bit off, so I tried to lighten it without getting it too light.  I dodged in that general area, plus burned a bit of the brighter area of cyan just above the land on the left.   I added a subtle brightness on the center hill and a touch on the distant snowy peaks just to help draw the eye there.  I use the lasso tool and then a brightness or exposure layer.  Just be sure to feather the edges so they blend in. Really though, just a beautiful image that does not need much tweaking, if any.   (Work more on that left top corner, I seemed to have slipped some magenta in there?)

ElinL
      Participant

Thank you Frank – a bit too much magenta to my taste 🙂

Dorothy
    Participant

Hey ElinL – no fair! the shark tank is for “negative” critiquing.  this needs no critiquing.  Seriously, thought maybe a little dodging here or there but no, hands down this is great as is.  The reflections in the water are wonderful.  May I ask where this was taken?

Tom M
    Participant

Very nice,Elin. Really not much needs to be done to this. Most changes were just personal color additions that they would want to see themselves. One variation is not better or worse than your original. My only complaint I guess, is the half and half view of the sky and the foreground…

ElinL
    Participant

Thank you all for suggestions and kind words. Rob, your edit suggestion is brilliant, exactly what I am looking for. Man from mars in LAB, never heard about it – obviously a technique to to explore – thanks a lot !

Rob Eyers
    Participant

Here is a Youtube link for Man from Mars Elin. I’d suggest leaving the L channel alone and just deal with colour in the a and b channels first. You can always deal with contrast in a separate curves layer after. Lowering the opacity to taste is part of this adjustment and usually 10 to 30% is as far as I would go. I find it useful when there are a lot of similar colours because it exaggerates the differences. Use the curve’s mask to confine the adjustment to where you want it. In your image I totally left out the sky as it was perfect the way it was. Have fun!

ElinL
    Participant

Thank you so much for your advice Rob ! The Man from Mars is very powerful tool to bring out colours, easy to overdo things there. I set the opacity to 20% and reduced vibrance a bit. Sharpened and masked carefully – just a touch. This inspires me to go through my earlier landscapes with this technique.

The latest version:

First spring landscape + man from mars

Rob Eyers
      Participant

You’re a quick study Elin. Very nicely done. I’m pleased you found this technique useful.

Maureen Photograph
    Participant

Yes it’s lovely …. but …. I found the composition was throwing me off-balance, because the left side felt heavier than the right.  Since the island is centered, I wanted more symmetry.  Since that’s not possible at this stage, I tried a crop which changed it into what I felt was more balanced in its assymetry.  I also made the island stand out a little bit more by adding lightness and contrast to it.

Erik Fransman
    Participant

Hi Elin,

very nice indeed. I like the soft muted colors. Yes, you can increase them, if it were mine, I would probably have done that, but it is good as it is.

As for ST: I would “straighten the horizon. I am sure it is level but for me, it works better if the top of the left side mountain is at the same height as the top of the right side mountain.
    Looking at this: Have to come to visit. (and come over for a coffee as well! 🙂 )

ElinL
      Participant

Thank you Erik, and do come ! Coffee always brewing 🙂

Gary Zerbst
    Participant

Elin,  When I first looked at your photo My impression was that the exposure and focus were exquisite but the photo had no classic “hero”.  I was unclear whether the photo was about the foreground, the water or the sky.  I barely saw the snowy mountains.  To solve my discomfort with the composition, I decided that I would sacrifice the foreground so I cropped up from the bottom,  Then I realized that as cropped , the left side added very little so I cropped in from the left too.  When I had done this , I  was surprised to see how the snowy mountains popped into my consciousness as I viewed the photo.  I made no exposure or tonal changes.

33801828748_93230a5ca6_h

ElinL
      Participant

Thank you for your suggestion Gary, but I disagree. The stones on the left side are a starting point for a curved lead to the shoreline and onward to the mountains. The crop suggested by you and other members take the stones out of their role and turn them into something that is best edited out of the picture.

Gary Zerbst
    Participant

Elin,  That’s one of the great things about photography,  It’s so very subjective,  the same thing that floats one viewer’s boat sinks another’s,  It is your photo and should please you before  anyone else.   I  often find my personal preferences are at odds with those of people whose work I respect.    If you like it, then it’s right.

ElinL
      Participant

So true Gary. Another aspect is that I may change my mind and agree with you, if I let the image rest for some time and then look at it again. Human perception and tastes are fleeting phenomena.

SimonParks
    Participant

Nice, I like it, just to try add a different perspective I tried cropping front top, love the foreground which IMO should take center stage to the clouds, also puts the mid mountain on top left POI and rock formation on bottom left POI!

Steve Walker
    Participant

It’s a fine fine scene with few to no faults. I tried a few things, so see what you think.

First, I found the clouds in the upper left to lack contrast. I applied a grad filter in Lightroom to the sky then used the adjustment brush to brighten that up. I also thought I might not need all that sky. There are interesting patterns up there but maybe more than needed, especially given the strength of the fore and mid-ground. I saw no major change from the original. Because of the somewhat limited color palette, given that it is early Spring, I converted to b&w, upped the orange and red channels, and reduced the blue channel.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.