Huddled ducklings (and mum)

Latest Posts Photography Forums The Shark Tank Feedback Forum Huddled ducklings (and mum)

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Mistyisle
      Participant

Settings were f6.3;  280 mms (420mms equiv);  ISO 200; 1/320 sec

JasenkaG
      Keymaster

Hi Mistyisle, this image looks quite perfect from a technical point of view, I think it would meet stock photography criteria.

I would maybe have the mum in focus as well, but your choice of aperture works well too.

Steve Walker
      Participant

I sort of like mum in the slightly oof supporting role, keeping an eye on things. Diagonal rule of thirds placement is nice too. Colors are pleasing and not oversaturated. A slight vignetting might hold the eye but could easily be heavy handed. I have nothing to suggest.

Petr Nowak
      Participant

As Jasenka and Steve have said. Great compo, color, technical quality.

Federico Alegria
      Participant

Nature and wildlife are definitely nor my areas of expertise, but I do can say that this composition works perfectly for this shot! The group of ducklings is formed by an odd number, which makes it extremely pleasant, and the implied line from the mother duck gives balance and a soft degree of tension as well. Oh, and the colours also work in pro of the composition. Thanks for sharing Jim!

Erik Fransman
      Participant

Hi Jim,

I like the composition and the colors.
      I am a big fan of a nice Bokeh, but for me, it does not work here.
      I wish the mother duck was in focus as well.

Mistyisle
      Participant

Many thanks for your feedback, everyone, much appreciated!  All views are somewhat subjective though, Jasenka and Erik and I prefer the mum to be out of focus, because it has the effect of bringing your attention more to the ducklings, plus the fact that one of them is looking at the camera.  I did take some pics with the mum in focus and could very easily transplant her into this image, but prefer not.  However, I will be taking steps to see which our local judges like.

The whole of the original image was sharpened in Lightroom (plus a subtle vignette). I have now backtracked on that and the vignette.  Redone in Affinity Photo, with only the ducklings sharpened this time and some leaves and other distractions taken out.  Plus another subtle vignette.  Here is the update.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

About Author