Hungry Pale Chanting Goshawk

Latest Posts Photography Forums General Photo Chit Chat Hungry Pale Chanting Goshawk

This topic contains 12 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Tobie 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Tobie

I witnessed something interesting as we drove through our Addo Elephant Park last week. A juvenile Pale Chanting Goshawk was following its parent as it was hunting (or pretending do be hunting), moaning and begging for food.

The parent was obviously determined to wean the ‘little one’ while encouraging it to hunt on its own. At some stages the young one even appeared to be launching attacks on its parent in order to convince it to feed it but to no avail.

“Come now mom, not even a small morsel?”

CTS_4441-PCG

“I want food NOW!”

CTS_4452-PCG

Tom M
    Participant

Love that first photo, Tobie. The young one appears to be larger than the parent…

Tobie

Thanks Tom. I think it still has a lot of fluff which it will probably lose as it molts into its final colors.

Tersha
    Keymaster

Wow Tobie, what an amazing sight! Great images, and if you didn’t know, you’d think the bigger one was the adult!

John Thompson

I am so impressed with the detail of your bird shots.  I know it is the photographer that makes these shots great but what lens do you use to get this close to them?

Tobie

Thanks John! All of my bird shots are taken with a Tamron 150-600 G2. Excellent piece of glass!

Robert Apple

Good Ones Tobie

Tobie

Thanks so much Robert!

Dahlia Ambrose
    Keymaster

The first image looks quite funny with the juvenile looking up for food. Love this image Tobie 🙂

Tobie

Thanks Dahlia! 🙂

beth
    Participant

excellent photos and story too.

Tobie

Thanks Beth!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.