Misty morning

This topic contains 22 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Lenny Wollitz 3 weeks, 2 days ago.

• Author

Petr Nowak
    Participant

Saturday misty morning. CC?

JasenkaG
    Keymaster

Really effective composition and crop plus this looks gorgeous in black and white. I was wondering how did you make this image, is it a composite and what were the settings?

P71
    Participant

This looks fantastic , i agree about it being B&W it works a treat , nice work and post mate.

Petr Nowak
    Participant

@jasenkag: no, it isn’t a composite image. Original below. 28mm, f/5.6, 1/850sec, ISO200, WB auto. Soft colors indicated B&W conversion. Changed: contrast, brightness, highlight recovery, black/white point adjustment and clarity (negative value => creamy overtone as described by Kent). Thats all. No special B&W conversion.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 3 days ago by  Petr Nowak.

JasenkaG
      Keymaster

The color version of this image looks stunning too, I like it as much as the b&w version!

Petr Nowak
        Participant

I do have a subjective problem with soft subtle colors. I like strong vivid ones and this image has very subtle no-expressive colors.

Robert Apple

Petr, Your Photo was recognized in the Members Picks Week of September 23 Forum  ⬅ Click Here

Kent DuFault
    Participant

Love the composition. The black and white treatment is excellent. Something that you did in post-processing, (because I don’t see it in the original), has given your black and white version kind of a ‘creamy overtone’. That effect can work at times, but in this case, I personally feel like it detracts from your fantastic picture.

Dahlia Ambrose
    Keymaster

I really like the mood in this image Petr and it works in black and white.

In terms of shark tank critique, it would have been nice to have more space on top and tried taking the image when the person was to the right of the frame giving them space to move. Not sure what you think 🙂

Petr Nowak
    Participant

I forget to mention I used a little bit of Clarity (negative value, Capture One sw). Thats what you mentioned Kent, that “creamy overtone”. Without Clarity:

Robert Apple

I think I liked version 1 better, had kind of a I just woke up from a dream feel that worked with the composition and subject matter, personal taste issue I think.

Graham Hart
    Participant

I love this pic Petr. I find my brain struggling to compute the scale of the person who seems too small compared to the sticks in the foreground but I guess that’s because they aren’t sticks but dead trees?

CC – I may have been tempted to darken the background tree line even more to balance with the sharply defined black foreground and middle. Because of the strong black there’s a lot of visual weight in the foreground sticks which keep pulling my eye toward that part of the image. The strong silhouette effect seems to only extend as far as the person and not beyond. This may be intentional but it leaves the rest of the image as somehow less important. I know they’re shrouded in mist but a touch more definition by darkening would help IMHO 🙂

Petr Nowak
    Participant

@Graham : yes, the sticks are dead trees. There was a small village in the place of lake 20 years ago. Ground slowly falls down because of deep coal mine below. Lake depth is about 17 meters now and still falling.

I’ve darken background tree line a bit (quick dirty edit so the mask isn’t perfect especially at the top of the trees):

Kent DuFault
    Participant

Each iteration is getting better. The last one nails it for me!

Petr Nowak
    Participant

Great! Thanks for all comments and CC. Praise ST !!! 🙂

Federico Alegria
    Participant

After all the progress there isn’t much more to be said here, great shot Petr, not too fan of the vertical cropping though, I would love to see the same processing but in the original frame for further (different and horizontal) cropping.

Lenny Wollitz
    Participant

Petr, A lovey shot and I like the semi-creamy processing with the use of some absolute black.  I wonder if the bundle of sticks in the lower right corner is contributing much or if they are a distraction?  I would try cropping them out and limit the compo to three elements…  The twigs in the foreground, the land with the runner and the trees in the background all of which have a nice horizontal flow.

Petr Nowak
    Participant

@Lenny:

Petr Nowak
    Participant

I have a better one concerning horizontal flow I think. However I’m not sure about B&W conversion:

Tom M
    Participant

I like the feeling in this. I also find the blob of brush in lower right corner distracting too. The one without it is a winner for me…

Lenny Wollitz
    Participant

I really like this second one too.  For me the small person really adds a defined subject in both versions.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.