Reasons To Be Grateful…

Latest Posts Photography Forums General Photo Chit Chat Reasons To Be Grateful…

This topic contains 35 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  Graham Hart 1 month, 4 weeks ago.

• Author

Graham Hart
    Participant

Some of you may remember this pic from last year of my dog Maggie. Today was her last. Age caught up with her and it was her time to finally rest in pain free peace. She would have turned 15 in two weeks so she had a good run. I just wanted to post this pic again to honour her. A part of me died today but thanks to photography she will always live on through the images I have of her. RIP Maggie.

Dorothy
    Participant

“Wake up, Maggie, I think I got something to say to you…

You led me away from home, just to save you from being alone
    You stole my heart, and that’s what really hurts”

omg, she’s beautiful Graham and your post has put tears in my eyes. God puts furry friends in our lives who share their love with us unconditionally and when they leave us it takes a long time to ease the pain.  Consider yourself hugged.

Graham Hart
      Participant

Thanks Dorothy. That song pretty much hits the mark, thanks for that. It’s been a tough day that’s for sure. I appreciate the hug, much needed.

Erik Fransman
    Participant

Graham, a beautiful photo for beautiful memories. With this image, it’s not difficult to keep her alive in your heart and mind. RIP Maggie.

Graham Hart
      Participant

Thank you Erik. Appreciate your kind words.

JasenkaG
    Keymaster

I love the expression in her eyes, such a beautiful dog. RIP Maggie.

Graham Hart
      Participant

Thank you Jasenka. Strange thing about dog’s eyes. I heard a discussion on the radio a few days ago talking about dogs evolving from wolves. Apparently wolves don’t have the eye muscles required to make the doleful expressions with their eyes which our pet dogs do. It’s claimed that dogs evolved these muscles over time. By watching humans interacting, they developed the muscles so they could make similar pleading expressions with their eyes in order to get what they want. Let’s face it, they can melt your heart with one look when they want to.

Rob Eyers
    Participant

A tough day Graham. Sorry to here this.

Graham Hart
      Participant

Thanks Rob, it sure has been. I’ve always been a dog person and it’s going to feel weird not having her around. She shed more hair than any dog I’ve ever known so at least we’ll find reminders of her every day for some time to come. Hair everywhere!

Dave Watkins
    Participant

So sad. I’m sure you have many wonderful memories of your time together. Saying a final good-bye to our four legged family members is so difficult. But the pain eventually fades away. Carol, Cider and I send our heart felt condolences. RIP Maggie.

Graham Hart
      Participant

Thank you so much Dave. Your words are appreciated.

John Thompson

I am so sorry Graham.  Great pic.  I have had to spend a majority of the past week away from my two dogs and I missed them.  This morning it was back to normal with one of them waking me at 7.  Not sure where he keeps his alarm clock but every morning he wakes me within 10 minutes of 7:00 am.

Graham Hart
      Participant

Thanks John. What a wonderful alarm clock to have…and no batteries required. Maggie was at the stage where she was just sleeping pretty much 24 hours a day. She had bad arthritis and a wonky hip from when she was hit by a car as a young dog. Hard to believe the pic above was taken only 17 months ago really. She could barely walk at the end. Hopefully she’s in a much happier place now.

Robert Apple

Sorry to hear that Graham, It hits close to home as our older dog has nasal Cancer and his final days are growing near . He gets all the spoiling we can give him right now and we have treasured every day spent with him.

Graham Hart
      Participant

Thanks Robert. It’s losing that totally unconditional love that dog’s give us which is hard to accept. My heart and best wishes go to you and your family for the journey ahead. Treasure those days.

beth
    Participant

i’m very sorry to hear about your dog.  she was a beauty, and i’m sure you’re going to miss her dearly.

Graham Hart
      Participant

Thanks Beth. I glad I arranged a day off work in advance to grieve. I sure need it!

Tersha
    Keymaster

Such a beautiful dog Graham, I can imagine how much you’re going to miss her, such a sad time.

Graham Hart
      Participant

Thanks Diane. Sad is the word for sure. Just when I think I’m in control, she pops into my head or I catch a whiff of her scent on some furniture. Time heals though so for once I can’t wait to get older.

Dahlia Ambrose
    Keymaster

Sorry to hear about that Graham. She is a beautiful dog and I love the look in her eyes.

Graham Hart
      Participant

Thank you Dahlia. Those eyes were always her secret weapon to get what she wanted and I think they were what told me she was ready to go in the end.

Preston
    Participant

What a lovely picture Graham.  She looks like a true sweetheart.  Just remember it’s not goodbye, rather until I see you again.  Sorry for your loss.

Graham Hart
      Participant

Thanks Preston. That’s what I’m telling myself. I appreciate your kind words.

Sorry for your loss Graham. RIP Maggie.

Graham Hart
      Participant

Thanks for the words David. I appreciate it.

P71
    Participant

Graham i am truly sorry to hear your news , Such a gorgeous dog so sorry mate.

I had the same thing to go through on the 14th may and i had to let my best buddy go too mate.

Rip Maggie , take care mate.

Graham Hart
      Participant

Thank you Patrick. Sorry to hear about your loss too. My wife says that this is why she doesn’t want another pet…too much suffering when they go. I think the 15 years of happiness before then is worth it though. Cheers.

Graham Hart
    Participant

A big thank you to everyone. I was worried about posting a personal message on a photography forum because its not really about photography so thank you one and all for allowing me to honour Maggie in this space. Your kind words are very much appreciated and testament to what a wonderful group of people, or should I say friends, make up the Light Stalking community. Thanks once again.

Frogdaily
    Participant

My heart sank when I read your post and tears filled my eyes, I am so sorry Graham for your loss!  What a beautiful photo of Maggie, she will always live in your heart.  Our thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family during these difficult times!

Graham Hart
    Participant

Thanks Froggy. Slowly getting back to normal. I think I’ve run out of tears. Appreciate your words.

Kent DuFault
    Participant

Sorry for your loss Graham. It’s very hard losing a dear pet and saying goodbye.

Graham Hart
      Participant

Thanks Kent. I’m pretty much back to normal now…just those odd moments when a sudden memory brings it all back.

Definition of unconditional love? Put your wife and your dog in the boot of your car for half an hour then let them out. Which one’s happy to see you?

Dorothy
        Participant

Graham!!!  Well seems to me you’d end up being a sole dog owner and probably lucky to remain alive!

Graham Hart
          Participant

So true! I’d end up in the boot for a day 🙂

Really sorry to hear about it Graham – it’s always painful to lose a pet.

Graham Hart
      Participant

Thanks Rob. Something about pets which touch us on a deeper level. They get past all the walls we put up and chew our emotions to pieces.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.