Recently discovered that my cellphone can shoot RAW

Latest Posts Photography Forums General Photo Chit Chat Recently discovered that my cellphone can shoot RAW

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Mistyisle
      Participant

When I bought my NZ$430 cellphone, I chose a Huawei for its photographic abilities.  Did not know until recently that it can shoot in RAW.  Wow, this is going to be great, as it opens opportunities, if I do not have my camera with me.  Doing tests, the JPEG images are 3-4Mgs in size and the RAW are just over 30Mgs.  A friend also discovered that his cell can shoot in RAW.  Maybe there are more out there that have not thought about it!

I was under the impression that certain Apps allowed any phone to shoot raw?

Also, Huawei… hope you’re not keeping any state secrets 😉

Robert Apple

I’m not sure about the Huawei but my Pixel says it shoots in raw but in reality it takes a JPG and then converts it to a DNG or similar raw format , much like LR or Bridge converts a file to DNG, so it really doesn’t shoot in raw, all of the apps out there I have explored so far do just this.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by Robert Apple.
      Mistyisle
      Participant

Am still learning here, Robert.

“I’m not sure about the Huawei but my Pixel says it shoots in raw but in reality it takes a JPG and then converts it to a DNG or similar raw format , much like LR or Bridge converts a file to DNG, so it really doesn’t shoot in raw, all of the apps out there I have explored so far do just this”

So, are you saying that DNG not so good?

Robert Apple

No not all all, but the DNG, in this case, is being created from an already compressed JPG so it’s not really a Raw image as it is not unprocessed sensor data.

3pco
      Participant

Hi @Robert Apple. Since you’ve done some research, I was thinking about getting the new Pixel 3 from Google. Is it true for that phone as well (jpg to raw conversion)? Thanks.

Robert Apple

I’m not sure on the 3 Allen, I have a Pixel 1 in fact I just bought a 3rd one new in a box for $89.00 on Ebay. the Camera on the 1 was actually better than the 2 and many of the software upgrades on the 3’s camera were automatically updated to the 1’s and 2’s, the 3 has a lot of new features that I have read about in various articles but I haven’t heard anything on the raw issue.

JasenkaG
      Keymaster

An interesting discussion, I’m just about to buy a new phone, I’ll probably take Huawei and investigate this thing further 🙂

3pco
      Participant

Okay, I’ve tried to look into this a little, and I think today’s cellphone cameras save real raw files, just like a dslr. There may be apps that convert jpg to a raw format, but as of the Pixel 2, Google’s phones save real raw data as well as a processed jpg version. Same must be true for other mfg.

In newer cameras, though, there’s more to it than that. Cell phone sensors are inherently noisy because the pixels are small, so several raw exposures are usually averaged at each shutter activation to reduce that problem. This opens up all sorts of possibilities for hdr, night photography sans flash, etc, but it does increase the overall exposure time. And so there is all this AI for tracking motion, and more. The future of photography is software, someone once said. How much of this you can control depends, I suppose, on the app you use to control the camera.

So it’s not your grandfather’s raw file, but it is real raw data, and it hasn’t been compressed.

Maybe someone else will weigh in that knows more about it.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.