Same sunny day, different dress

Latest Posts Photography Forums The Shark Tank Same sunny day, different dress

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author
      Keith
      Participant
      John Thompson

As others have posted on a different pic, what now? Oh, if you are looking for a photo critique the right side (looking at the subject) is to dark. The shadows across her right leg are a distraction.

Ravi
      Participant

@larner – read up the forum rules man, will you? haven’t you got a word to say about your mind boggling photography? amazing man!

Portraits with subjects wearing dark glasses, that semi-vintage background, shadow on the wall…what are you up to these days?

Ravi
      Participant

@nikon-nut – haven’t you noticed, she is hiding something between those legs, something black! (no disrespect meant to the subject – its the treatment of the subject that’s worrisome)

jeff
      Participant

What is ‘mind boggling man’ is that you havent read the forum rules yourself-wheres the constructive criticism…? Or is saying ‘what are you up to these days’ supposed to help…zzzzzzzzzzzz

Keith
      Participant

Dear Nikon_Nut and Somebloke.

Thank you for your constructive and supportive comments. I had the model wear the sun glasses because the sun was so bright, then the clouds came over and the sun came out again and that occurred for the entire shoot. Nex time I will use a reflector to lighten up the left hand side of the face and maybe a strip soft box to make sure there are no shadows over the legs.

Regards

Keith
      Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Keith
      Participant

Other than offer constructive comments to other photographers I was under the assumption that I was working within the rules. I am in awe of many of the photographs posted on this site and feel very uncomfortable in offering comment when my photographs need to improve so much. I have posted 4 photographs to this site and they were my better ones. Thank goodness I didn’t post the others I had in mind.

What am I doing these days? I have taken up photography and taking portrait photographs of my family. I am retired from work because I have a serious (work related) mental illness which I am dealing with.

I will take your advice and jump in the tank and offer my advice.

Regards

Keith

jeff
      Participant

Your welcome Keith, some people it seems cotinually get out of the wrong side of the bed..or bottle 😉

With your pics always look to see if there is anything distracting for starters, think what could people pick on, is there anything that detracts from the main focus of the picture, do any shadows add or detract to the picture etc. Im just a beginer myself but I think these are good starting points.

As for your pick-well sunglasses are fine but as has already been mentioned the shadow is poor and as is the background. Maybe with some bokeh and better lighting it could have came out really nice

John Thompson

@larner sunglasses are not usually a good idea in portraiture unless that is the purpose of the shot or part of a theme.

Ravi
      Participant

@larner – the least you could do is to ‘ask’ for critique. You just post the photograph without a word and claim to have read the rules? Are you checking to see if the rest of us have read up the rules?

Ravi
      Participant

@somebloke – if your version of constructive criticism is telling what annoys you and what pisses you off, comment on others’ comments, patronizing and taking sides…I would rather not give constructive criticism. help yourself man, just step back and read your own comments and honestly tell yourself if they are constructive or least bit useful.

jeff
      Participant

I have never said anything about any pictures ‘pissing me off’. I think you have me confused with someone else. There have been plenty of useless comments from people calling photos ‘crap’ ‘useless’ etc, yet I say one of your pictures anoys me due to being off centre and you have a big sook??

I should know better though, its impossible to be rational with the irrational…

P Marione
      Blocked

Why do you start with “fashion” photography which is one of the most difficult field of photography and where you absolutely need complete control of the light.
      Why not train yourself with easier shots like landscapes, buildings, street photography…

Fred Furze
      Participant

@larner , just providing a little info on what you would like to know about your photos is always helpful. Camera settings are good as well. It helps the sharks better focus their (our) assaults more precisely. Otherwise the comments may be too broad to be of any help to you.

Overall it is a nice photo, but it has several flaws that would make it better. The vertical lines are playing havoc on the model’s legs making the curves seem unsightly. Also as mentioned above the shadows, especially the dark one on her leg directly below her dress are very unflattering. The light overall is a little too harsh.

Much of the rest, I think, can be easily improved with some minor editing, so a pretty good attempt I have to say.

Please keep shooting and posting. I, in particular, love these types of photos.

Lenny Wollitz
      Participant

A simple solution for the hard light is just to move her to the shade and then use flash and reflectors to fill in. Direct sunlight often results in drivers license photos. This has some good info on dealing with sun.
      http://strobist.blogspot.mx/2006/04/on-assignment-taming-harsh-sunlight.html Portrait photography is very difficult but don’t be discouraged… mine get ripped apart here too but I keep coming back for more!

Tersha
      Keymaster

Hi, @larner, it would be helpful, (re: Shark Tank Etiquette), if you told us a little about how you took the shot, camera settings,etc, when you first post the photo for critique. especially if you are new to photography.
      This will help you get the advice that you need, and hopefully stop the the sarcasm and disrespectful chat between @raviputcha and @nikon-nut.
      thanks

John Thompson

Diane @tercha not that it is important but I think you have me confused with @somebloke perhaps. If I have been disrespectful then I apologize but I don’t see where I am. I will admit that I get a bit facetious at times but I don’t recall ever being disrespectful.

jeff
      Participant

Yes I think she was referring to the convo between me and raviputcha. His type of rude, disrespectful and down right petty remarks have no place in society or a web forum. Blasting a newcomer for not saying he would like a critique when posting in a section that is specifically designed to give critiques is absurd.

This site is struggling to get more than a handful of posts a day. We should be doing everything possible to attract more members rather than slam the door in their face as soon as they knock on the door…

Apologies to the OP for the thread hijack…if you ever com back to read this…

John Thompson

I believe you are right Jeff. My first post in this thread was a bit sarcastic, or facetious, if only because the poster did not follow the rules established for the shark tank. It is best to have the initial poster provide us with what it is they want from the posted image. Once we have that we can move on from there. Last week I had a bad time with one of the posters but I refused to engage him. What purpose would it serve? I happen to like this site and I like a lot of the people that do post here so I do anything to jeopardize the privilege of being a member.

Tersha
      Keymaster

Ok, @nikon-nut, I think you’re right, you just appeared to be, but I was wrong……apologies!

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar