Viewing 25 reply threads
  • Author
      gaganpreet
      Participant

improvements?

mannat by gaganpreet on Light Stalking

Ritesh Saini
      Participant

Hi @gaganred, I am assuming it was not taken in a studio and hence the lighting may not have been under your control but the use of ambient light here kind of works, without any harsh shadows spoiling the portrait. That said, the face kind of hangs there in the middle by itself which is not very pleasing, if you get what I mean. Some lighting to accentuate the shoulders would be good. (Was the area around the face ‘burned’ in post-processing, btw? If so, you can do it much better by selectively doing it on certain areas). There’s a great article here: http://www.lightstalking.us/dodging-burning

The image can also gain by getting a boost in contrast and sharpness. Oh, and needless to say, that’s a beautiful kid there! The curiosity of the kid obviously gets conveyed in the photo, which makes an instant connect with the viewer.

Good luck!

Lenny Wollitz
      Participant

Nice shot! I would like just a hint of light from the right rear to define the back of the head. Great catch light in the eyes.

P Marione
      Blocked

Your best shot so far.
      I would play with the contrast to have the white of his eyes white. That would add to the atmosphere.

Tersha
      Keymaster

HI, @gaganred, you know the drill….a bit of info, please? ta…

gaganpreet
      Participant

@tersha hey , sorry i always forget that !
      its
      iso 400
      f 5.6
      shutter speed 1/90
      focal lengh 49mm ..
      the only source of light available was flash light on my blackberry.

gaganpreet
      Participant

@pmarione thankyousomuch 🙂
      and and i din’t understand your point.. can you do that for me . ?

gaganpreet
      Participant

hey @riteshsaini thankyou for your time and for observing this work.
      it was studio . only phone flash light was used and i did burned it in pp ..
      and i need to ask one thing ! boost in contrast and sharpness for me is killing the mood .. i don’t know .. would you like to show me what according to you should be done ?

P Marione
      Blocked

I just played a little with the levels adjustment.

Fred Furze
      Participant

I was going to suggest an exposure enhancement. @Pmarione did what I was thinking. This has revealed what looks like sloppy over burning to the left of her face (just at her face’s edge), or a very strong vignette, however.

If you were trying to conceal background objects, then that in itself is something you could do different the next time:

Black background, or a distant dark background, and a flash with a narrow grid so that it hits her face alone (I know, easier said than done!). So, better planning overall.

The photo, if it were done correctly, I think is very nice.

gaganpreet
      Participant

this was what was available to me .. i tried to get the background dark but could not justify i guess.. and about exposure i don’t know i still would like to keep it low .. i am not liking high exposure over here..

@pmarione
      @fredf .. feel free to complety redo .. i would love to see your effort on this :’)
      regards

_MG_6202_1.jpg by gaganpreet on Light Stalking

P Marione
      Blocked

Yes that’s better except for the highlight on her (his) nose that you can easily correct. The background is not really a problem as it’s blurred.

It’s not possible to work on a pic at that size and resolution 🙁

gaganpreet
      Participant

@pmarione give me your mail id .. i shall send RAW file to you ?

P Marione
      Blocked
      Fred Furze
      Participant

Would love to give it a shot as well.

furzedesign@aol.com

gaganpreet
      Participant

i have mailed it to you guys . got it ? @pmarione @fredf

Fred Furze
      Participant

Got it. Thanks @gaganred . Will try tonight.

P Marione
      Blocked

I have sent you a file back on your email.

Doug
      Participant

Interesting conversations. I like what I assumed was your original. I am unsure how you ended up with a RAW photo from what I though you said was a cell phone photo. I like the basic photo you started with. The reflection on the nose is something I noticed from the very beginning and would dodge it a bit to tone it down. I might have also tried to increase the lighting in the shadows on his head on the right side of the photo, but left the rest alone.

Fred Furze
      Participant

Ok. Here is my shot. Not sure if it an improvement but here it is. I tried to keep that feeling of a divine light shining on his/her face. I felt the square crop worked, since in the original there is a lot of black on the sides of the frame that seem to add nothing.

The RAW file was very underexposed. You definitely needed more light.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fredvf/11485436354/

P Marione
      Blocked

Here is my version, but variations are infinite, so it’s only my interpretation.
      The original pic is good.

gaganpreet
      Participant

@douglsmith i never said it was a cell phone photo . i used cellphone flashlight as the only source of light.
      and thankyou for your time. i would like to do those settings and see .
      regards 🙂

gaganpreet
      Participant

thankyou for your time and support, but in your version i did not like that much lighting on her face. i thought the best thing in this photo is the 3 soft spots of light (on eyes and on nose) , and that is why i do not want to expose this much 😀
      regards

gaganpreet
      Participant

i like it but that spot on nose is gone. i loved that part of pic. in this version teeshirt is making it much more beautiful . someone spotted out that error in mine. (hanging head ) but why din’t you try to make background black ? any reason ?

P Marione
      Blocked

There was no reason to make the background black : the subject is very strong, and I like the lightest parts on the diagonal.
      If you look at paintings they are very often composed along diagonals and triangles.

Fred Furze
      Participant

You’re right @gaganred . The brighter exposure does eliminate the sparkle of the reflections a little. The nose one was a little too hot. I agree with everyone who said this. The eyes are wet, so a strong catchlight reflection there looks natural and healthy, but the one on the nose feels like it needs to be toned down a bit.

Viewing 25 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

About Author