The Joshua Tree

Latest Posts Photography Forums The Shark Tank The Joshua Tree

This topic contains 16 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 3 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

John Thompson

I posted this in Landscaping Forum but wanted some opinions about how dark this image is.  Should I lighten it.  ISO 100 f.16 1/125

Dorothy
    Participant

Hi John, i think you are right, a little lightening.  it will be hard to decide just where, maybe just a little on the trunks.

Falxy
    Participant

john im picking you up 6.00 next friday for the Crosskeys man too chew the fat man!!

love your images…………………by the way you gotta ride pillion on the back of a Royal Enfield 350 single circa 1944!!

just an air ticket between us……………but then theres the pollution to get head round…………………..gotta downgrade to leafy roofs and tapioca……………..im cool man 🙂

John Thompson

Dunc I am there!!!  A 350 sounds fine but it will take us awhile to get there.  I have no problem with air travel and pollution.  We need to get around.  Emma Thompson (whom I like) traveled from LA to London via private jet to take part in a Climate Change protest.  Hummmmmm.

Yes you are cool Dunc.

Falxy
    Participant

Yeah pollute to save………….i just scratch around producing food………….get your arse over here and will prove this country is still proud and relevant……………..respect man! 🙂

Falxy
    Participant

course the 350 is just the ride for the summer……………………..one building from scratch is the be all and end all just now……………………..painted parts just sent off for umm painting/spraying while i build the engine.

love the unhealthy scent of petrol and oil…..bird on bike i hear you ask………….covered man…….verge of posting!! 🙂

John Thompson

Post away!!

I always love the smell of cordite and the feel of a rifle in my hand.

billyspad
        Blocked

Join the Army maybe? You get a free AK 47 to cuddle up to in ya bunk every night.

John Thompson

Billy I was in the Army although it was 57 years ago.  I was in the 82nd Airborne and served in Vietnam.  My weapon of choice was the BAR.  The AK 47 is junk although they have made millions of them

billyspad
            Blocked

You have my respect fella for the time spent in Nam. I am English so we do not in anyway understand guns or why normal folks want one. We have no access to them so I’ll take your word on the merits of different brands.

billyspad
    Blocked

John I do not take landscapes so knowledge is limited. I’m of the opinion that as yet no one has invented a camera sensor that can actually do justice to the scenes nature puts before us. When I look at a landscape shot it leaves me unmoved where as a simple scene in nature can take ones breath away. So with this in mind I just looked at the technical aspects of your post and checking the histogram indicates its one and a half stops under exposed. So I am thinking the very dark look is to show or create a mood or similar? This seems to be the case with your POTW as well. So if this was the look you were after why consider lightening the image? For me it looks better when the exposure is adjusted so the histogram is not bunched up to the left but its your work and so I am assuming you went for the dark look by design?

John Thompson

Billy the camera wants to try to even out the scene by adjusting the exposure to bring it within certain parameters.  I have adjusted these scenes to reflect how they actually were at the time.  So yes I did go for the dark look by design because that is what the scene was like then.

As an example here is one panel of a sunset shot that I took some time ago:

When I took this shot it was so dark I had to use a flashlight to get the focus right.  I would show you the after but I can only post one pic.  I did not want the shot to be so dark that you could not see anything but I know the camera will try to provide usable exposure.  Then I can adjust in PP to reflect a better idea of what the scene was like.

billyspad
    Blocked

Thank you for getting back to me John. If what you saw is reflected in the shot and you wish to show reality I can only repeat my question of why you would wish lighten it?

Our approach is very different I feel in that reality means little to me. Getting a nice looking picture is my goal which is why I think God was pretty cool giving us Raw files and fancy software. Changing skies altering colors etc all is allowed as far as I am concerned. So a little brightening would be my choice but would change the mood very dramatically.

John Thompson

Billy I post in the Landscape forum almost exclusively.  I rarely post in the ST anymore.  I wanted some honest opinions on this shot.  I like it the way it is.  It has detail everywhere, even in the dark areas.  I agree that RAW fils are a Godsend.  They can allow us leeway to be creative.  I just wanted some opinions from others who do not comment on pics in the Landscape forum.

BTW, the BAR (Browning Automatic Rifle) was (is) primarily a military weapon.  I have never known anyone to use it to hunt deer for example (pity the poor deer).

Dahlia Ambrose
    Keymaster

Hi John, I love the dark and moody feel in the image. It is just right. In my opinion, it doesn’t need lightening 🙂

John Thompson

Thank you Dahlia.  I was looking to see if some of my pics were too dark.  I like this but it is always good to have others comment critically about an image.

Craig
    Participant

I can appreciate a moody image. In this case, in my very unskilled opinion, The contrast between tree and sky lacks “punch”. the tree doesn’t stand out against the sky. Maybe that is what your going for.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.