Thread ethics

• This topic has 17 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 2wk, 3d ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      Tobie

S’cuse me for just thinking aloud but I see something creeping into discussions which kind of bugs me. That is the inclusion of own images into someone else’s thread. Maybe it’s only me but I really think that’s a slap in the face of the member who started the thread.

I’m not talking about where someone asks about techniques etc, where an own shot can demonstrate a point. I’m talking about someone who posted an image simply to show it off or start a discussion.

Can we be sensitive and not post an image that is ‘better’ than the original poster’s image?

Just asking… πŸ˜‰

Rob Eyers
      Participant

Good point Tobie.

JasenkaG
      Keymaster

Hi Tobie, I completely agree with you but I think that new members do this as they still don’t know how the forums function. Perhaps we should let them know that they need to start a new thread with their images whenever we spot this kind of behavior.

Petr Nowak
      Participant

Hi Tobie, I definitely agree too.

beth
      Participant

it might be a little confusing for new members too because there’s places in the forum where this is acceptable (the throw downs) and where editing the op’s image is acceptable (the shark tank).

if you use the latest post feature to view new posts it’s really easy to miss whether you’re replying to a throw down, shark tank or general photos or landscape thread.

Anne Hornsby
      Participant

I’m glad you brought it up, Tobie.Β  Β I was trying to think whether I’d seen this or not, and as I was poking around in areas I’d posted I discovered that Diane’s Curiosity topic was Landscape.Β  I’d registered it in my brain as a Throwdown – which is why I wrote Great Topic, Diane and then posted another on that theme.

So, I agree with Beth that using the Latest Post feature (which I never used to do) makes it easier to confuse.Β  Sorry Diane.Β  Β I think I’ll skip using Latest Posts from now on, to make it easier for me to keep things straight.

Tersha
        Keymaster

Hi Anne, no problem, I thought that you’d probably done that. πŸ™‚

Federico Alegria
      Participant

Thanks Tobie!

Tobie

Just want to say I agree about new members not knowing exactly how things work – let’s just ‘gently’point them in the right direction. πŸ˜‰

I know confusion can sometimes slip in @annehornsby – no hard feelings, of course! 😊

@jasenkag

Graham Hart
      Participant

I think somewhere along the line I’ve been guilty of this too but only through lack of etiquette knowledge in the early days. I came ‘this close’ to posting an image in Diane’s Curiosity thread myself but doubts took over in my mind and I refrained after realising where I was. I too was focused on the thread title and wanted to get involved because I had an image which suited.

Seems lke a challenge awaits?

Anne Hornsby
      Participant

I just tried to delete my photo, but didn’t seem to work.Β Β Β  Good idea Graham – a throwdown on Curiosity!

Tobie

I removed it for you Anne. πŸ™‚

Rob Wood (Admin)
      Keymaster

Remember, Admins and Mods, there is a β€œsplit” command above every post so if you think a post should be in its own thread, that is the one to use.

Tobie

Never saw this before Rob, thanks for mentioning it! πŸ™‚

Beaky
      Participant

Hi all, I guess I have been guilty of this, though not trying to show anyone up, but to join in as the photo fits the thread and not knowing the ethics. Now I know I will cease and only post in throw downs or shark tank.

Thanks for the information. πŸ™‚

Frank
      Participant

Good point, Tobie.Β  I hope I have not been guilty of this.

Tobie

Thanks Frank. Not sure, but that’s less important – let’s all do it right from here on! πŸ™‚

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

About Author