Too White?

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      Joanne Van Praag
      Participant

Really struggling about this portrait – should there be a lot more shadow on her face to give more contrast – help

beth
      Participant

it looks like the white environment is throwing light back on her, like you’d see with a reflector.  if you go easy with the editing you can probably mask that area and darken it if you need to.  try a luminosity mask.

Rob Wood (Admin)
      Keymaster

Yup, – luminosity mask would probably be where I was going with this one.

Joanne Van Praag
      Participant

Cheers will have a mess with that,  thanks

Federico Alegria
      Participant

@vanpraag

Could we see the original shot (jpeg is fine) for a more precise guidance on black and white?

Anne Hornsby
      Participant

@vanpraag   The right side of her face – as we look at the image — seems fine.  The left side seems to have processing that has created an odd shape of white on the side of her face with a white point toward her nose.   Suggest starting fresh with what the others have suggested, including sharing the original.

Frank
      Participant

There seems to be something “off” about the large ring or shadow under her right eye.  It almost looks as though her face had been painted.  Try to experiment with her skin tone it needs a shine, toward the pale.  So, I would say less shadow on her face.

• This reply was modified 1mo ago by Frank.
      Joanne Van Praag
      Participant

Thank you folks for your input, this is the original, please work your magic and then tell me what you did.Lottie Pool

Frank
      Participant

I am not good with portraits and even less so with the challenge of B&W, but here is what I see.

In the original,  (I think people might have wanted to see the original in color) I like the tone of the right side of her face ( the left side as we look at it).  There is less contrast in that version so that the darkening under the eye looks less like she has a black eye.  Notice in the original her shoulder and left face area are close to the same tone. Same is true in the top image.  Can you get that tone even brighter which should be okay because the sun is shinning on them anyway.

Her face just looks too dark for me.  Maybe it is just a deep tan and that is her natural look. Your intention to brighten her is a good one, I think, but keep shadow on the right side.

Her expression says to me.  “I am enjoying this spot, and if you want to take my picture, go ahead” I like the way she is poised and they way her hair is flowing nicely with the curves or waves.  Of course, the more I look, the more I wonder if  she needs brightening at all!   (Read my firs sentence again)

beth
      Participant

a two minute edit.  created a luminosity mask targeting the bright area of her cheek.  you’ll need to learn how to make luminosity masks based off of specific tones.  i just made a curves level, made everything look like crap with really high contrast with a really bright cheek and dark shadows all around, then made a lumiosity mask off of that.  once the luminosity mask was created i deleted the first curves layer.

the luminosity mask was applied to a new curves layer.  i blurred the mask a bit to make a softer transition and blacked out some of the background and her shoulder so it wouldn’t be affected.  then in the curves adj. panel i lowered the midtones until i got what i wanted.

made a new curves layer (no mask) and brightened everything up again.

you can do a lot better with more time.  i tried to make this as about bright as your original so you could see the difference in tones on the cheek.

Falxy
      Participant

Hi Joanne…………what a pleasure to view your image,why are you worried about shadows etc……..just crop out the l/h side distractions will give energy,beauty and art….lovely!! 🙂

Erik Fransman
      Participant
      1. hi Joanne, I like the image but the right side does not add much for me. As a portrait I would like it closer. This is just a crop on my phone 

Joanne Van Praag
      Participant

Thanks everyone, it is such a help to get different views and guidance.  I know that any art form is subjective and of course is seen differently by individuals so it is fascinating when you get so many various opinions and suggestions.  It has made me look at my portrait in many different ways and will help in the way I will look at composure, light and post processing in whatever I photograph.  I am looking forward to many hours of happy experimentation of old and new images.

Jo xx

Graham Hart
      Participant

Hi Joanne, I think you have a wonderful subject, great location and great light to play with. My suggestion would be to lift her out of the high-key environment a bit to really pull the focus on her out a bit. I agree with Frank’s assessment of her right (our left) eye being a shade darkish and with this in mind, I first applied a luminance mask bring back the brights a touch, then I applied a very soft white brush (about 40% opacity) on a separate layer to the darker areas in shade on her face and finally I made a mask of her, inverted it and applied a levels adjustment to her to add an overall minimal darker shade to lift her out of the bright background. Just another take on a very fine image.

Jay Ward
      Participant

Here’s my try. Darkened the background, sharpened the eyes and lips.

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

About Author