Weekend Photography Challenge #182 Self Portrait

Latest Posts Photography Forums Weekend Photography Challenge Weekend Photography Challenge #182 Self Portrait

Viewing 27 reply threads
  • Author
      Dru Stefan Stone
      Participant

It’s been a while. Perhaps it is time to challenge you to a new self-portrait!

I was bored one day…
      Falling.jpg by Kobie Mercury-Clarke on Light Stalking

Betty Hodges
      Participant

IMG_1598_edited-1.jpg by Betty Hodges on Light Stalking

Selfie: Loves coffee, spends too much time on her computer, needs help to see, takes pictures, knows a thing or two about Photoshop, wishes she could paint or draw, loves vibrant saturated colours and strong textures, avoids being in front of the camera.

Ryan Silverstein
      Participant

Selfie…Old by Ryan Silverstein on Light Stalking

Something different…age…

michel lorente
      Participant
      Geoff Neville
      Participant

Self portrait.
      Hope it still counts it was a bit earlier than the weekend but it is the only one I have and probably the only one I’ll ever have! A bit grainy and smudgy on purpose just like me.

crystal
      Participant
      crystal
      Participant

Hello everyone I am bran new to the site and a little confused so if you see things in the wrong places please tell me so I can correct it. I am terrible with computers and struggle trying to navigate around new sites. I am a mess every time FB changes their page layouts 😉 Anyways just wanted to introduce myself and say hello and I cant get any other forum to work. they all keep telling me I have to be logged in to post, and as far as I know I am logged in. (again a little confused still ) So far I love the site and am excited to be able to connect with all of you and share ideas and thoughts and become a better photographer. Always looking for advice as I am teaching myself and really have no idea what I am doing. Someday I’d like to take a class so I can actually learn about all the techniques and lighting and things. nice to meet all of you, and me, oh yea super excited !!!!

Mike Dean
      Participant

I don’t think a new self portrait could top my last attempt (though I have something in mind that I’ll be trying)… Here’s the previous one in the mean time. I have shared it on here before but some may not have seen it. Sorry if you have…

Me + 6′ florescent tube + tripod + 2.5″ @ f22 =

False halo...

Aaron Geis
      Participant

I don’t have time just now to do something fresh but this is from only a few weeks ago.

A self portrait in my open shade studio.
      Ambient metered at f/4 | 160th | 50 ISO
      Canon 5D mk II | 24-105 f/4 @ 105mm
      Exposure f/8 | 160th | 50 ISO
      Clamshell lighting using 90cm Octa w/ Yongnuo YN560 III @ 1/2 power just over lens pointing 45 degrees down and silver triflector under lens as fill
      PP in LR including a Portra 400 preset and exposure brushing

selfie3.jpg by Aaron Geis on Light Stalking

DSC04897

EXIF data (Slightly wrong as I used two x 300w/s studio lights)
      Portrait EXIF.jpg by David Chesterfield on Light Stalking

tom dinning
      Blocked

It has been a while, Dru, and I haven’t changed a bit. Even younger, perhaps.

Untitled2.jpg by tom dinning on Light Stalking

Aaron Geis
      Participant

@tomdinning

Hi Tom,

As your self portrait is ‘interpretive’ (I believe that all photographs and communications are interpretive as there is always the photographer and the viewer (as you pointed out), the author and the reader) are you open to a reading?

As I said I sometimes have trouble trusting my reading of my own work so I’m open to input on mine (I’m already aware that I’m ugly so you can skip past that part).

I was going for a painterly effect to give a 3D quality, is that working?

Anyone reading is welcome to add their 2 cents.

Cheers,

Aaron

tom dinning
      Blocked

Bloody hell! There are some ugly bastards out there. I don’t feel too bad.
      Not you Crystal. I’ve been imagining myself as a mollusk all night.
      Aaron, classic passport photo, or Most Wanted. You might need a few more D’s to make a difference.
      Don, which one is the snake. Have you ever smelt snake shit? Not good!
      Mickey, I’ll send you a food pack and blanket. Which street corner are you sleeping on?
      Ryan, is this photo post-humus? If it isn’t it sure fooled me.

Dru’s choice will be easy. She likes beauty. Who doesn’t?

Aaron Geis
      Participant

Hi again,

Tom, are you familiar with the work of Martin Schoeller?

He’s done a series of portraits that pretty much exactly match the requirements for passport photos, but they’re really interesting.

I think that simple style can be really powerful.

What I’m not sure about is how my expression ‘reads’.

allein morrison
      Participant

Sun set by allein morrison on Light Stalking

A typical sun set with a twist a Self Portrait the hat is a copy of one that is in the Australian Museum and the shape is an Australian icon made famous by the Bush tucker man less Less Hiddens

A quick not any one who has seen the famous bush tucker man and are interested in watching the original series made by the Army and only just made available just ask and I will email you the like

Geoff Neville
      Participant

@outback-photography If you could send me that link to Les Hiddens that would be appreciated. I used to watch him when I could a few years ago, very enjoyable. I used to live a similiar lifestyle for quite a large portion of my life so I could relate. He was one man who “was” fair dinkum. Anyway enough waffle. Thanks in advance Allein. Geoff.

allein morrison
      Participant

Original Bush Tucker Man Part1 is what type into you tube

This has been converted from 16 mm film by a ex army guy and it was basically a all army show and it was picked up by ABC tv and the show was made
      so basically this was two or three years before the tv show
      Note he is driving a ******** landcruser lol

allein morrison
      Participant

He was one man who “was” fair dinkum. so true I have acutally meet him in a town called Wagga Wagga when he was on a book tour at local ABC shop

I dmaged my back big time and at middle age went back to TAFE education and the teachers mostly were idiots no idea of real life Less is a natural teacher some thing very rare

Geoff Neville
      Participant

@outback-photography Thanks for that. Of course he is driving a land cruiser, he doesn’t want to break down in the middle of nowhere!!
      DSC_3636

allein morrison
      Participant

lol

allein morrison
      Participant

One of the Australian Army’s most famous vehicles, the Land Rover 110 4×4 used by former Major Les Hiddins, AM, in the first Bush Tucker Man television series in 1987, has retired after 26 years of service.

Minister for Defence Science and Personnel Warren Snowdon and the now retired Major Hiddins, presented the vehicle to the Darwin Military Museum, handing over the keys at a ceremony in Darwin.

Mr Snowdon said there were three co-stars in the Bush Tucker Man series – Les Hiddins, his hat and his Land Rover.

Les Hiddins was the Army’s expert in survival techniques and had already spent several years researching bush tucker before starring in the ABC television series.

The Land Rover vehicle use in the first Bush Tucker Man series – Army Registration Number 48 001 – made its first appearance in Episode One of the first series, in which it was filled up with fuel at the Borroloola Inn before heading north to the Roper River.

“Les was supported in the Bush Tucker Man series by the North West Mobile Force (NORFORCE), the Darwin-based Army unit, which continued to use this particular Land Rover in the years following its brush with fame,” Mr Snowdon said.

For much of that time, the Land Rover served as a basic reconnaissance vehicle for NORFORCE or has been used during exercises to transport stores or troops. It has also been put into service regularly as a range safety vehicle.

“As well as the vehicle’s cultural significance, it also happens to be the very first of some 2,500 Land Rover 4WDs that were delivered to the Army between 1987 and 1990 as part of Project Perentie,” Mr Snowdon said.

The Army is in the process of replacing its current fleet of Land Rovers with the Mercedes-Benz G Wagons.

Bush tucker man by allein morrison on Light Stalking

Ryan Silverstein
      Participant

Yes Tom it is posthumous…i am one of those ugly bastards out there.

Dru Stefan Stone
      Participant

@tomdinning I’ve always enjoyed your self-portraits, they are challenging and always interesting. Yes, I like beautiful but it comes in many ways and forms. 🙂

Geoff Neville
      Participant

Yes @outback-photography there is safety in numbers.

Aaron Geis
      Participant

Hey guys, the Oz lore is interesting but I feel a bit like I signed up to receive updates on a self portrait thread and got sucked into the surprisingly powerful vortex of the Alice Springs municipal museum.

Geoff Neville
      Participant

Yes a powerful and little understood force! Be carefull.

tom dinning
      Blocked

Seems like a bunch of Aussies have migrated to this thread, like flies around a dunny.
      We should form a breakaway group. All you need is to a maximum of six degrees of separation to a dingo.
      Since that’s my nit-name, I’m claiming first degree.

What’s your connection?

Viewing 27 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar