Can’t See the Forest for the Trees.

Latest Posts Photography Forums The Shark Tank Can’t See the Forest for the Trees.

Viewing 23 reply threads
  • Author
      Dave Watkins
      Participant

Have tried a number of times to get an aesthetically pleasing image of the moss covered trees that are so plentiful in my area. Still haven’t got one I’d hang on a wall. I’m fairly pleased with this one but it did not quite provide that “aha, nailed it!” moment. Maybe all the crossing branches makes it look too busy. I do like the almost abstract look to it though.  Most of the time I try to get an image as sharp as possible. This time I softened it up some trying for a more glowing effect.

I plan on spending more time wandering around this area at different times of the day looking for varying light and views using different lenses. But before I go back am looking for some feed back about what would have made this image stronger and what I might look for next time I’m out.  Thanks for looking.

Edit: Just noticed the tree in the back ground isn’t perfectly vertical.

• This topic was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by Dave Watkins.
      • This topic was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by Dave Watkins.
      Pat Garrett
      Participant

I’m not adept at critiquing, but I can express what I see. I’m wondering if a smaller section, after seeing the immense scale, would reveal the soft mossy texture better and provide a more defined focal point.

Dave Watkins
      Participant

Thanks for the feedback Pat. I agree. I could have walked up closer to the sunlit branches to reduce the clutter. But I’m glad to hear you use the words “immense scale” as that is what I was hoping to show. The immense scale of these giant moss covered trees. Standing amongst them makes one feel kind of small. A wide angle lens would have shown that even better but I only had a 100mm with me.

But I should have got closer to those branches and at least given myself some different views to work with in post.  Thanks again Pat.

Petr Nowak
      Participant

Dave its interesting composition – something like a ladder. I like colors especially bright green of moss.

Concerning CC: I’d cut the right part a little bit to make image visually symmetrical. Although left and right trees take the same space, the right one is darker and feels visually wider then the left one.

Nothing more to say (small  red bird sitting somewhere would made this image perfect… 😉

Dave Watkins
      Participant

Hi Petr. I should definitely take a look at it with back ground tree centered. Had rule of thirds stuck in my brain and wanted to keep that tree off center. Your suggestion would probably enhance the abstract look to it.

I like that the branches resembled a ladder to you. I think a good abstract looks like different things to different people. My wife said when she first looked at it, it reminded her of the leaded framework of a stained glass window mosaic. The lead without the glass.

I agree that a red bird would have been a nice addition. 🙂 Thanks for offering another point of view.

Dahlia Ambrose
      Keymaster

Hi Dave, I like the lines, patterns, light and colour in the image.

You could maybe shoot from a different perspective to include a sunburst or maybe the sun’s rays on a misty morning 🙂

Dave Watkins
      Participant

Hi Dahlia. A sunburst or rays shining through mist would punch up the image for sure. I’ll be going back and keep trying. Somewhere in that forest is a wall hanger. I’m sure of it. 🙂  Thanks for the input.

Erik Fransman
      Participant

Dave, I think it works well. Possibly just warm it up a bit and darken the right side of the left tree a tad so you are pulled in a bit more.

You noticed in your edit comment that the tree in the background isn’t perfectly vertical. Why does that matter to you?

JasenkaG
      Keymaster

Such a great composition – I think you framed this scene perfectly!

I would maybe try to make the lighting a bit more balanced (brighter on the right side). I’m not sure how would that affect the overall vibe, but I would still try it.

Kent DuFault
      Participant

I like this composition very much as well. In my mind, I wouldn’t change it. I like it is. 🙂

Rob Eyers
      Participant

I like it Dave and also agree with Erik that it could stand some warming and also some burning of the left tree. I would go even further and bring out some more detail in the bright green portions and the foreground. In addition maybe pull back on the brightness of the background and reduce the blue and cyan there too.

Dave Watkins
      Participant

Erik. Thanks for chiming in. I really like your suggestion of darkening the left to draw the viewer into the photo. Thanks. As far as the center tree goes I really have no good answer to your question. I guess it’s because the longer I stare at one of my images the more critical I become of the little things. What I didn’t notice while processing in post suddenly sticks out like a sore thumb.

Dave Watkins
      Participant

Thanks Jasenka. When I have the time I’ll be going back to edit this shot again trying all suggestions I get. And different combinations of them. I appreciate your feedback.

Dave Watkins
      Participant

Thanks for the kind words Kent. But this is the shark tank. 🙂

Dave Watkins
      Participant

Thanks for your comments Rob. I wanted to keep the “feel” of the image close to what it felt like being there. A rainy morning with just a few breaks in the clouds to let some light shine through a mostly dark, dank, pacific northwest rainforest. That’s why I prefer the cooler tones. But I will be playing with it some more so no problem trying all suggestions.

I had just the 100mm lens with me that day. Plan on going back with a wide angle to try and include ferns in the foreground. Some of the ferns there are close to 5 feet tall. It’s a very Jurassic Park like setting. 🙂

Dave Watkins
      Participant

Using some of the suggestions posted I came up with this. Not going to say what I did yet. Not a vast difference but I think your suggestions helped. I like this one better than the original.

Rob Eyers
      Participant

For me this is a better crop Dave. I like the fact that the highlights are better controlled, the trees are warmer, and the blue in the background is reduced. I think you could take a tiny, tiny bit off the bottom just to get rid of that one bright green bit.

All in all a nice second edit. Why not put it on the wall until you surpass it?

Dave Watkins
      Participant

Hey Rob. You’ve described pretty much everything I worked on in the redo. I also   backed of the glow effect giving everything more detail. Just now got rid of the bright green eyesore at the bottom.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. 🙂

Frank
      Participant

I really like this one, so full of mystery.  Ditto to what Dahlia said about lines, etc…

There are so many options to do here all based on what you want to convey.  I like emphasizing the green rather than the reds, but what I really like is the misty look, the foggy look in the deep woods of the background.  Increased the haze, pushing the dehaze slider far to the left.  Add a little fog/mist to the background.

Have visited Olympic Nat. Park, I know just what dilemma you are facing…how to capture the amazing moss….the ferns, the massive trees.  I have favorites  in light rain that really pops out the green.  I like ferns seen from a low angle looking up, getting low and up close in the foreground.  Try looking right down into the center of some ferns getting close-up for a nice cone-shaped pattern.  Look for the “living trees” or dead logs covered with moss, but supporting new growth of small seedlings growing on top.  If you want an image of just hanging moss, get close, fill the frame.  So, many options!

Dave Watkins
      Participant

I like this one a lot Frank. Very close to the image I had in mind when I sat down at the computer and plugged in the memory card. A cool, dark, gloomy moss covered PNW rain forest. A place where gnomes and bigfoot alike hang out. 🙂 I like the cool tones you’ve chosen. On the other hand I also like it with the warmer tones where the vibrant color of the moss gives the image some pop. Two different moods I like equally well.

My sister in law said this shot reminded her of the Olympic National Forest. Luckily this forest is just a short drive from our house here in Oregon. Thanks for the ideas of shots to look for next time I go there.

I appreciate the time all of you put in helping me out. Thank you. 🙂

Frank
      Participant

Dave one more comment:

To create more mist, fog…..In Photoshop:

duplicate Background Layer

create a new layer, goto Filter > Render> Clouds.

The entire image will appear covered with white, but goto mode of overlay or soft light,then add a black layer mask and paint with a white brush over the areas you want the “clouds” to appear be sure to use a brush capacity at about 60% so as not to over do the returning white.  Paint more to increase the effect to taste  (be sure you have the mask selected and not the layer)  I am sure there are more precise ways to add clouds, but this method is a quick way.

San Juan Islands and Vancouver Is. are next on our list!

Dave Watkins
      Participant

Thanks for the help Frank. Hope to see some of your PNW island shots soon. 🙂

Falxy
      Participant

hi Dave…………….yeah i like your original man 🙂

TIS THE ST so yeah aint bad atall

like the trees are fighting for

Dave Watkins
      Participant

Thanks for your comment Falxy.

Viewing 23 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar