Feeding the flying rats at the plaza

Latest Posts Photography Forums The Shark Tank Feeding the flying rats at the plaza

This topic contains 11 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Falxy 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Lenny Wollitz
    Participant

This is a great way to pass time with the family on a hot and humid day.  I guess the thumbs up from the father was an OK to take the shot.     The expression on the mothers face explains why mothers day is almost a religious holiday in Mexico.   1/125, f4.5, iso640

Graham Hart
    Participant

This is a great shot Lenny. It almost looks like a studio set up using actors. The poses, the direction they’re looking in, the lighting. Fortunate indeed that they were willing participants. Very nice capture.

(Just needs the overprinting…”I only feed my pidgeons the best. Acme seed!”)

Erik Fransman
    Participant

Lenny, I like the shot, the girl, the mother and the father.
    ST: I would straighten it a tad, erase the light thingy coming into the image at the right upper corner and I would try different processing. For me, this B&W treatment is a bit too harsh. I would try a softer and more friendly look.

ST 2: The girl and the mother are a bit soft on focus.

Kent DuFault
    Participant

Wonderful picture!

Lenny Wollitz
    Participant

Graham, someone sells seed to feed them right in the plaza and right across the street they trap them, typical.

Erik, the light thing will go but I kinda like the hard processing.  It’s all soft because I wasn’t paying attention to settings.

Kent, thanks you rule breaker!

Careful, Lenny. I once posted a shot of pidgeons to the LS Facebook page and copped a torrent of abuse for calling them Sky Rats. 😉

Petr Nowak
    Participant

Great picture !!! Interesting comments – Graham and Erik….

Lenny Wollitz
    Participant

Hey Rob, I usually preface any statement about pigeons with several NSFW words.  I had a running battle with pigeons at my house over about a 2 year period.   I got tired of being their statue.  I tried everything and as a last resort I finally shot (not with a camera) two of them.  That was 7 years ago and I haven’t had a single one land in my space since.  In fact they seldom over fly my space. They must have a fantastic communication system and good for them as I don’t care for a repeat.

Rob Eyers
    Participant

We had a new neighbor once that thought it was nice to feed them. It took a while to figure out why we had scores of them all of a sudden in the hood. Several people had to have their roofs redone. The new neighbor was from a different country with different culture but she quickly stopped feeding once it was pointed out to her. Man can they leave a mess.

I hadn’t commented on your image Lenny because I had nothing constructive to add. It reminds me of the kids throwing up treats for the gulls on the beach in Playa. I like it!

Federico Alegria
    Participant

What an awesome photograph Lenny, thanks for sharing. It hasn’t to be 100% perfect (about the motion on the mother and the daughter) to tell a good story!

Tom M
    Participant

The processing on this is alright. It does seem quite posed though as Graham thought. Perhaps you have some other shots a little after the guy put his hand down. Would have been a little more interesting showing the girl throwing some food to the birds. I like the expression on the woman’s face though…

Falxy
    Participant

Thumbs up from me Lenny……maybe i would of cropped out the left hand pigeon to make it stronger………but just personal pref! 🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.