Low Level Landscape Lighting

Latest Posts Photography Forums General Photo Chit Chat Low Level Landscape Lighting

This topic contains 9 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Lynne Guenther 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

I was recently introduced to Low Level Landscape Lighting (LLLL), a technique often used for AstroLandscape photography.

At it’s most basic LLLL is the use of a relatively low output light source to illuminate the foreground landscape features – or in my case the background features – so that you get detail instead of just silhouettes.

I thought I would have a go on my recent trip to Queenslands granite belt. Despite the fact that I had left my dimmable light source at home, I always have a few of these $2 COB LED lights in my light painting kit, which work amazingly well.

In fact – my only complaint was that it was too bright, even when positioned about 5m away.

There are flaws in the images – but then if we got everything right on the first attempt how would we ever learn?

P4200097

I cant wait to get out again and take my dimmable light to see what I can create!

P4190026

Dahlia Ambrose
    Keymaster

These images are great David. Did you do the light painting of the orb and patterns first and then paint the background?

Thanks Dahlia.

No – the LED light is one the whole time that I am creating the image.

JasenkaG
    Keymaster

Hello David, thank you for the useful info on LLLL. Maybe we could write a blog post about it 🙂

Sounds like a good idea Jasenka. I will probably need to shoot a few more imgages, but will definitely do something soon.

John Thompson

David these are superb as usual.  I have been thinking about getting out at night to try to capture the night sky at Red Rock.  I have been thinking about how to lighten the foreground without it being overbearing.

Tersha
    Keymaster

Inpressive David, looking forward to seeing what you do next time.

Kent DuFault
    Participant

Very interesting! The very first time I ever used ‘painting with light’ in my studio- I used a variety of flashlights, because I couldn’t afford the professional light painting kits. That little light switch really throws off some light!

Lynne Guenther
    Participant

Very impressive!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.