Monochrome Lake

Latest Posts Photography Forums The Shark Tank Monochrome Lake

This topic contains 11 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Graham Hart 2 months ago.

• Author

Bruce Gordon
    Participant

I haven’t been in ST for awhile, so I offer this image: (I’ve gone back and removed the smudge on the left side of the lake…)

Nikon D750, Nikon 24-120 @24mm, ISO100 F7.1 @ 1/250, Thunder and lightening behind me…

Robert Apple

I would darken the highlights in the sky try to recover more detail and enhance the drama.

Kent DuFault
    Participant

A classic b&w landscape, but it lacks that special something… Perhaps a second visit with better light?

Bruce Gordon
      Participant

I’m hoping to go back there in a couple of weeks. Keep your fingers crossed for good weather! 🙂

John Thompson

I must agree with Kent.  It is a nice shot but without the impact you are looking for in a b&w landscape.  Perhaps try Roberts suggestion with the sky.  I love dramatic skies in my landscapes.

Federico Alegria
    Participant

This definitely deserves a second visit, at earlier or later hour for softer light, a nice and long exposure with an ND filter will make this shot a magnificent input for some nice post-processing.

Graham Hart
    Participant

Hi Bruce, I agree with what everyone has said already. It’s a terrific ‘Ansell Adams’ type of scene which could use some PP to bring out the contrasts in the image by darkening the blacks and softening the lights. I’m assuming that edits are OK with you. That choice seems to have gone from our profiles recently so fingers crossed its OK. Here’s what I came up with anyway…

Bruce Gordon
      Participant

Really nice Edit Graham!! Thanks!! I like it a lot, and will try to replicate it as best I can. I am amazed at how you were able to keep the tree reflections in the lake, even as much as you darkened the image.

I welcome edits, comments, suggestions and everything else. I’m here to learn!

Graham Hart
        Participant

Good to know Bruce. The edits were simply brushed into certain areas of the original image leaving the lake and it’s reflections as is.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.