The iPhone is Easily My Most Used Camera

Latest Posts Photography Forums General Photo Chit Chat The iPhone is Easily My Most Used Camera

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author

I am sure most of us here use our camera phones a lot.

But I have noticed something since the iPhone X.

I have this little project where I try to get a really good shot of my boys every three months of their lives. Straight up portrait shot.

When the time comes, I usually have a few to choose from. I post the one I like most to social.

But here’s the thing.

Even though I shoot with D810, GX8 or iPhone, lately the iPhone is winning a lot of these competitions for the photo I like most.

Don’t get me wrong, if you said “hey, go out and shoot a great photo”, I am still going to choose the Nikon to do it.

I just think it’s interesting how quickly the iPhone is climbing the ranks in my personal results.

Robert Apple

My pixel is doing the same thing in my case, especially on long hikes and fishing trips, or just random impromptu shots. I carry a DSLR in each of my vehicles, but it’s so much quicker to grab the phone.

Kent DuFault
      Participant

Mine too. In fact, the iphone 8+ is my main camera these days. I find it challenging to work only with a single focal length lens. My main reasons for turning to our Nikon now is when the situation calls for a long telephoto lens, there is extremely low light, or I’m shooting a special effect such as long exposure.

John Thompson

I have withheld using my phone as a camera mainly because I have spent years acquiring the gear that I have I am not going to let it set!!  I only use my phone when I want to show someone where I am or what I am doing via text.  I love my DSLR gear to much perhaps.

Federico Alegria
      Participant

I really like this, many photographers don’t usually recognize how powerful smartphones can be, and they portray themselves as purer than others just because they shoot mainly with a camera. I wish I could have a finer camera in my phone, since they are so embedded in our everyday lives, it feels quite logic to see them as the perfect tools for registering the everyday right?

bucweeet
      Participant

I’ve only just started to use my phone lately (as I’ve just purchased a relatively new one)….  I was always surprised to  see the overall quality of the images they take, especially when I’m having difficulties in some situations getting a decent image with my other cameras.  I’m guessing it’s mainly due to the automatic settings the phone uses (as even the “Pro” option on my phone has limited capabilities)… and then combine this with the relatively wide lens they use (which puts most things into focus).

I’m thinking maybe I should start using my – P for Professional – mode on my cameras more.

chris pook
      Participant

iPhoneX; not perfect, but good enough for the office wall in London, and handy;

Kent DuFault
        Participant

Superb! I have four 30 inch by 40 inch canvas prints hanging in our home that were all imaged from the iPhone 8+ and no one would guess the wiser.

SimonParks
      Participant

Have been in the iPhone zone for 4 years now, lots of people still shocked that some of my images are iPhone! Boils down to post processing really! And it’s just so quick to do it all in one place, on the move!

Anonymous

Although I fall in with John on this. I understand, for many, the use of “Cell Phone Cameras”. For myself, I really never think about using a cell phone to take pictures, even though I have three, Galaxy S4, LG K7, iPhone SE.. My feeling is, it is participating in the demise of DSLR.

chris pook
        Participant

Hi Craig, I’m sure you are right about the demise of the SLR… to a degree.  It’s all about the final image though, isn’t it?  Who said ‘It’s not the fittest who survive, but those most able to adapt’.  The phone camera threatens a segment of the market, for sure, but there will always be a place for DSLRs and mirrorless cameras, for those situations where the subject or desired end product calls for them.  Sports, hi resolution photography, night work, three areas that spring to mind.  What the phone is replacing is the family camera of old for snapshots.  And the ease of use of the phone means we are making far more images than ever before.  There are some remarkable stats out there about the number of images uploaded every day.  I don’t have them to hand, but it wouldn’t surprise me if i’m one day more photographs are uploaded now than where taken in the first 100 years of photography.  That doesn’t mean they are any good mind you,  :). We live in an enormously well documented era, driven by technology.  The tech revolution, good or bad, is unstoppable, but I think the DSLR has many happy years still ahead.

Ramblings… 😉

Anonymous

You are probably right Chris. 😉   It just may be my prejudice (preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience) showing through. And, Besides, I have to justify all the cash I’ve spent on Equipment,! .. And yes, It is about the end result. A case of “The end, justifies the means”.

Graham Hart
      Participant

For me it’s the DSLR always. I like the challenge that comes with mastering a more complex piece of equipment. I like making mistakes because it gives me pause to think about them and work out a solution. Although I use my camera phone, I feel it does too much too easily and apart from taking great pics, I find I don’t really learn much from it.

As image makers we play with light and lenses are surely key to this endeavour?

A good photo is just the end of the journey for me. I like all the crap we go through to get there and that includes the editing software as well 🙂

I don’t know if they’re key, @graham – I guess I would ask why the lens or function of a camera phone is less worthy? 😉

Graham Hart
        Participant

I guess I base that statement on the pure physical dimensions and engineering of a camera lens along with the ability to manipulate it compared to the fixed miniscule lens in a phone. Its an assumption on my part I admit but seems like oranges and apples to me?

Having said that, it is undeniable that phone cameras are capable of incredibly sharp detailed images, just not ‘hands on’ enough for me 🙂

Michael Smith
      Participant

I agree camera phones are climbing up the ladder super-fast, but like many people have said, I will repeat the same cliche – I have always felt real photography is when I am holding a fat DSLR, looking into the OVF and repeatedly changing settings and clicking pictures. An iPhone cannot match that experience for me. In terms of quality, DSLRs and mirrorless cameras are still obviously higher than smartphones. But in the future this gap could become alarmingly small.

chris pook
      Participant

Real photography for me is about generating images that make people laugh, smile or cry.  How we get there?  Meh!  ;). And I’m a kit junkie.  lol.

Experiment; from a phone or screen can you tell me which of these are iPhone, which SLR, which MF and which film?

And… does it matter?  😉

374A2730-Edit.jpg

Portrait

Hanna

It’s in the EXIF of course.  😉

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by chris pook.

I got 1/4

Graham Hart
        Participant

I got at least 2/4. Top to bottom, I had MF, Phone, Film, DSLR. Not sure which is MF?

SimonParks
      Participant

I suppose I consider myself more an artist than a photographer, and my ‘buzz’ comes from finished image and the PP that it takes to get there rather than the complexity of taking the image. Also as a busy single Dad (50%) that works more than full time and runs a home, the iPhone allows me to take, process and post in moments, I do use a DSLR for work and occasions but I never really get the same fulfillment from the images taken!

iPhone 8 images blended in snapseed a 5 minute project:

Dead tree on a mountain top

Fiona
      Participant

Pretty sure that every iPhone I’ve had, I’ve smashed the lens within days of getting it. Last time, I did it while trying to put the phone in its new protective case.

Rob Eyers
      Participant

Maybe it’s all just a matter of personal taste. The old brownie instamatic was a big deal in it’s time. Things change and evolve. I look at my phone camera as just another tool. Why take a note, just take a phone pic. to remember something. Is this worth the effort with a DSLR…take a test shot with the phone. I know a lot of photographers who used to use polaroids to take test shots before using a large format film camera. If it’s the camera that’s with you then it’s the best camera to use. Why are we even discussing the matter?

I’m like Graham though…don’t take my DSLR, mirrorless, lenses, and gear away because I love working with them.

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.