Which one is the best

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      P Marione
      Blocked

I have used two different BW treatment here : LAB and PS BW adjustement.
      Technically I prefer the 1st one but the 2nd one is more dramatic.

Your opinion ?

Lenny Wollitz
      Participant

I like them both but I like the mystery of the second one. By LAB do you mean Topaz Labs BW Effects (which I just bought) or is LAB something else?

P Marione
      Blocked

It’s just converting in LAB mode in PS : it gives 3 channels (lightness, A and B – in A are the green and magenta part of the image and B the yellow and blue – if I remember) you trashes the A and B channel keeping only the Lightness then go back to RGB mode and can finish.
      The advantage is that it keeps a better rendition of the colors than the PS BW conversion (if you don’t adjust carefully the colors slides) and IMO a better balance of the BW.
      I don’t know the Topaz plugin but I suppose it works in a similar way.

John Thompson

I prefer the first if just because of the detail. My ps b&w treatment involve the basic adj. layer for b&w and use the sliders to give you the effect you want to begin with. The I use one maybe 2 gradiant maps to draw the blacks and whites farther apart. Finally I will use two curve adjustment layers. The first I use to pull down the midtones and the next to balance by pulling up on midtones. That is my simple method. I might try yours @pmarione to see how they differ from mine in end result.

Why not copy and past the dark over the light and then create a layer mask (hide all) and then use a brush to darken your photo to add drama but retain detail.

I like the composition by the way @pmarione.

P Marione
      Blocked

I’ll try.

P Marione
      Blocked

I have done as you said. I think it’s a good compromise.

John, the advantage of the LAB method is that it gives you a very neutral base to start to work.

John Thompson

Ok Patrick I will try that. I really like the revision don’t you? You have a good sky to back drop your pic and good contrast with a bit of detail. I like it.

P Marione
      Blocked

Yes, i’ll use that one.
      Thank you for the help.

Fred Furze
      Participant

I like number 3 the best. I would still bring in a little more detail into the really black shadow areas in the center and lower right, and a little more under the toes.

P Marione
      Blocked

OK will try

Michael Lloyd
      Participant

I like the compromise best.

I used to use LAB for B&W conversions. If you ever try Silver Efex Pro you won’t do a PS conversion of any kind again. My favorite thing to use in SEP2 are the “Zone” markers. 0 thru 10. As you mouse over each number the area in that “zone” lights up. Or you can click on a zone and it will stay lit so you can make the necessary global adjustment or add a control point and affect just the area that you want to.

Along with the layer mask method another way is to put the dark layer on the layer above the light layer and change the blend mode to Luminosity and vary the opacity of the layer (or Fill).

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

About Author