Yamba Surf Club

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

ISO 640, 18mm 1/40th on a d810

Kent DuFault
      Participant

I like this type of photograph. I feel that the surfer doesn’t carry enough visual weight as the subject within this composition.

I tried this.

The crop is obvious. Also, I used the Adjustment Brush to brighten the man and surfboard overall slightly. Then using a new brush, I slightly decreased the blacks on just the wet suit to create more contrast there. Finally, using a third brush, I bumped up the color saturation of the surfboard and the man’s skin slightly. Even if you don’t like the crop, I think those tweaks on the man and board help him to pop out a bit more.

Federico Alegria
      Participant

Dunno if I’m in that state of life in which I really love seeing the context around people or what, but I really like it the way you have it Mate, Kent’s suggestion feels to tight for my taste. Perhaps the vignetting could be smoothed out just a bit, because it looks too heavy and sort of distracts from the stroy.

Erik Fransman
      Participant

I Agree with Frederico. I think the crop is too tight. But I also agree with Kent that the surfer doesn’t carry enough weight.
      I tried to make him stand out a bit more and created a visual lead-in by dodging the sand in front of him creating a lighter path towards him. It is a bit artificial but you see it on the beach that one part is lighter because it is still wet and the part next to it, not.

Thanks guys – a few good things to think about.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar