Cottage in the mountains

Latest Posts Photography Forums The Shark Tank Cottage in the mountains

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 17 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Maureen Photograph 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Addie
    Participant

Hi everyone,

New member here. Wanted your opinions on the attached photos. Its a real estate shot using 5 brackets. Shot on a Fuji XT-3 using a XF 10-24 lens. The cottage was really small so had to use the lens at 10mm. Room was only lit with little light from the windows and the two lamps seen in the photo. Processed in LR and PS.

Thank you in advance.

The cottage

Maureen Photograph
    Participant

Addie, it came out nice.  My suggestion would be to pull the blinds all the way up to capture more natural light, maybe with the lamps off too.  Also if the view is decent out the windows, move a step or two to the right and capture more of the windows and view.  Obviously bracketing would be needed, which you’re already doing.

Maureen

Addie
      Participant

Thank you.

Stepping to the right makes sense. There was actually a dinner table and this is how far right I could go. But I should have pulled the blinds since the outside view was good.

Tom M
    Participant

This came out nice,other than the 2 or 3 hot spots from the lights on the ceiling and walls. Opening the shades as noted might help…

Addie
      Participant

Hi Tom,

Thanks. And noted. I guess I got too involved in getting the distortion and technicalities right, that I forgot about other things to improve. Notes…. gotta make notes. 🙂

Dorothy
    Participant

Hi Addie:  I would touch up the dark spot on the ceiling above the fireplace as well as what looks like patchwork on the ceiling to the left of the dark spot.  On the left wall it looks like the circle on top of the bookcase is somehow repeated on the wall.  Thing is if this is being done for a Real Estate Company for advertising they may have rules about what can and cannot be touched up. I do agree letting daylight in would be a good idea.

Addie
      Participant

Hi Dorothy,

This was for a property owner and although they did not specifically mention any rules, I just thought that a listing on AirBnb should be true to the actual look. Does it help to edit out stuff in this situation?

Dorothy
        Participant

Addie @darthaddie: i agree with you, in this case i don’t think i’d change a thing that i mentioned. Everyone else has been giving really good advice about lighting.

Steve Walker
    Participant

I think you have done a good job here, working in difficult conditions. I am impressed that you have achieved so little distortion. I would recommend a crop from the left to remove the squiggly plant branches and from the right to close the entrance into the other room.

Addie
      Participant

Hi Steve,

Well noted. I will crop it. And you are right. This was a challenge. I got a lot right but there are a few things I got to improve after my post.

Lenny Wollitz
    Participant

Welcome Addie!

This would be a good photo if you want to use it on line to sell your house.  If you want to be artsy I think it needs an obvious subject… I can’t figure out what you want me to look at.

Addie
      Participant

Hi Lenny,

This was done for a property owner. I just wanted ideas to improve on this, and I have been given a lot of great ideas here since my post. Thank you all

Federico Alegria
    Participant

Hi there @darthaddie, and welcome to our place. When I think of cottages I immediately think about coziness, and I’m not getting that from this shot. But there is a solution! The problem here is light, what you need to do is simple, find a tripod (or something to keep your camera perfectly still) and turn off all the lights, and make a long exposure, then correct the white balance to reduce the harsh yellow and extremely warm tones and voila! There you’ll have a cozier result. Please let me know how it goes.

Addie
      Participant

Hi Federico,

Thats exactly what I intended to do. But the cottage owner totally disliked that and showed me a couple of million dollar houses he got shot earlier. They were all desaturated, very warm, and totally lit up. Then I had to go this route. My first edit was a dimly lit, cosy look.

Federico Alegria
        Participant

Meh, clients… next time take some shots for yourself and keep them as your own assets beyond the deliverables.

Graham Hart
    Participant

Hi Addie, nice shot. My only suggestions would be to reduce as many eye snags as possible, which without ‘touch ups’ which means cropping. I would maybe crop both sides in a bit to remove the plant and the doorway into…wherever it goes? This way the eye stays in the room and takes in the environment without wandering away too much.

Addie
      Participant

Hi Graham,

I agree now that you mentioned it. I would crop it tighter. Thanks!

Maureen Photograph
    Participant

For real estate photos, it’s best if they’re done only in natural light, but should not be dark and cozy because lighter pictures show better; therefore do multiple exposures and blend so there’s no dark areas, also process to be “slightly” high-key.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.