itchy fox kit

• This topic has 15 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 3d, 7h ago by beth.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      beth
      Participant

found a couple of kits playing.  one of them wanted to play hide and seek in the reeds, but one was more interested in counting his flea.

this was processed twice in lightroom.  once to get the brown background tones, once for the fox.  both have the same matte curve adjustment to crush the blacks.

in hsl i desaturated the blues  (-60) and aquas (-42), and moved the yellow and green hues to -100.

i added some split toning to warm up the whites, but then changed my mind and got rid of it.  instead i went back to my white balance and adjusted it so that the whites were white instead of slightly blue.

added a vignette, sharpened, enabled lens corrections, etc.. and exported.  then increased the overall saturation, and adjusted the hue and saturation for the red and orange tones for the fox (everything else looked like crap) and exported again.

in ps i layered the two and masked in the more colorful fox.

Mistyisle
      Participant

What were the settings on your camera, Beth. Is there some appreciable noise present?

beth
        Participant

noise on a sony a7r4?  always.  that’s what happens when you cram 60 megapixels onto a full frame sensor.  more of an issue than noise in this one is the waviness from the out of focus leaves and grass jutting through the image at all angles, esp. at the top.  it looks like something was badly cloned out of the top, but it’s just a blade or two of grass distorting things.

exif data is:

sony a7r4 & 200-600mm @ 600mm

1/1250s (handheld), f/7.1, iso 1250

• This reply was modified 1wk, 1d ago by beth.
      Tersha
      Keymaster

You’ve caught a good moment Beth, and all that processing worked, it looks good!

beth
        Participant

thanks tersha, that’s pretty similar to the processing i’ve been doing to most of my photos lately.  rob wood was asking about it a few days ago, so i figured i’d give some notes on what i was doing.

• This reply was modified 1wk, 1d ago by beth.
      Dahlia Ambrose
      Keymaster

Aww, that’s a lovely image Beth. Thank you for the post processing tips. Always loved your moody edits 🙂

beth
        Participant

thanks dahlia

Patrick
      Participant

I like the capture beth and thank you for going over some of your processes , you with many others here at Ls always do go that extra mile to help esp beginners like myself .. much appreciated ;).

• This reply was modified 1wk, 1d ago by Patrick.
        beth
        Participant

thanks patrick

Graham Hart
      Participant

Lovely pic Beth but I am especially grateful for the processing info. Everyone has their own methods I’m sure and it’s through insights like you’ve given here that the ‘secret stuff’ is revealed from master to apprentice.

The last step about combining the two differently treated layers is gold!

beth
        Participant

thanks graham.  layering two differently edited images is something i picked up doing astrophotography.

Honestly expected to open this and read about the next piece of gear you wanted to get – lol

beth
        Participant

thanks rob.  nope.  no new gear yet.  i just got the sony a7r4 and 200-600mm a few months ago so no new gear for awhile.  well…maybe the fuji gf 45-100mm…

Anne Hornsby
      Participant

I love how the fox posed for you, Beth!   Great muzzle detail, too.  Agree with Graham, so grateful for the processing info.

beth
        Participant

thanks anne

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

About Author