Shark Tank Etiquette (Please read this first) (UPDATED May 23, 2019)

Latest Posts Photography Forums The Shark Tank Shark Tank Etiquette (Please read this first) (UPDATED May 23, 2019)

This topic contains 211 replies, has 104 voices, and was last updated by  Jeffrey 1 month ago.

• Author

If we’re going to have a constructive Shark Tank we need to keep a few things in mind. This is about genuinely trying to improve our photography through constructive criticism.

IF YOU ARE RUDE, YOU WILL BE BANNED IMMEDIATELY. ONE STRIKE.

1) Make sure you are in the Shark Tank sub forum (there are several sub forums on this site)

2) Only negative (but constructive) comments (feel free to state “what worked” in the photo, but no “love this shot” type of comments.
    3) Always be polite (this is about being helpful, not nasty)
    4) Critique somebody else before you ask for a critique
    5) Always post in a spirit of friendship and genuine helpfulness
    6) When you post an image for critique, post a few sentence about how you took the shot, when and what you were trying to achieve. This helps people keep the quality of their critiques higher.
    7) Ask people before you go ahead and edit their images.

This is still an experiment, but we are trying to have the only really useful photography shark tank on the internet. These guidelines will evolve, but if we all approach this experiment with the right frame of mind it could turn into a pretty cool thing.

Joyce
    Participant

Agree!

Bob
      Participant

I agree

massulo
      Participant

Sounds great to me and thanks for the invite…

Michael Lloyd
    Participant

Initially I struggled with not posting something positive but I’ve come to the realization that it wouldn’t help. If the image is something that I can’t find any suggestions for improving it then I don’t post. That could mean that it is so good that it’ll stand as is and it could mean that, in my opinion, there is nothing that can be done to save the image short of re-shooting it. Either one of those would probably prevent me from commenting. I think that the structure of this forum makes it easier to help people

Stewart
    Participant

I would lend suggestion that folks also refrain from griping about watermarks as well.
    Ive read comments about it on almost all images posted with watermarks so far. In no way does a watermarking opinion bare any relevance as to how to improve the shot or the processing of it.
    Adding a watermark is a security act not an image creation floor!
    just saying 😉

Michael Lloyd
    Participant

For discussion purposes, IDK… I have watermarked stuff and now I tend not to. I have yet to see an image where a watermark improves the image so putting it on an image and then on a photo critique site doesn’t make sense to me. We don’t hesitate to tell someone that “the white triangle in the background is distracting” yet a giant white symbol in the watermark isn’t?

Placing an image with a watermark in the “normal” section of a website doesn’t make any difference to me one way or another. BTW- Kudos to Light Stalking for trying the Shark Tank. It’s a much needed forum but I don’t think that I’ve ever seen anything like it other than the blind critiques that are done once a month on The Grid.

As far as security goes I can remove a watermark in about 2 minutes or less. Including mine. The security of a watermark is an illusion. I had a watermarked image stolen by an ad agency and it made it to all of the major city newspapers in TX, Texas Parks and Wildlife Magazine, and Texas Highways Magazine without a watermark. They also claimed that there was no EXIF.

You get more bang for the security buck by learning how to reduce the image quality to a commercially unusable size and even that is an illusion. I can uprez an image with Perfect Resize and make it commercially viable. The only security for an image is to never put it on the web.

Mary James
    Participant

As a new member of L.Stalking this sounds an interesting and useful forum although I am not sure I am in a position to critique as such an amateur but would certainly welcome comments on mine so that I can improve.

roni chastain
    Participant

i completely agree with you. i put a watermark on all my web images, it is in the lower center part, not interfering with the image.
    thanks for your suggestion!

Stewart
    Participant

All valid points Michael, I am confident your experience in the field of photography over the years has equipped you with, as it has yours truly, the ability to see pass a watermark.
    As you have indicated at the outset of your comment, you had watermarked stuff but now tend not to. Im sure that was a decision you made all on your lonesome, not one that someone persuaded you to do for their viewing pleasure. Most people get over doing it sooner or later anyways so who cares.

Walter Lustig
    Participant

I have just joined, like the idea and have added my 2 cents to a few of the images. However, there is one suggestions … I wish people would post or link to their high res file, as high res as they have. It is really difficult to assess an image properly from a small file.

I think that any worries of having images stolen or misused is overrated. But if people are worried, well then they should either not post those photos or have them properly registered.

The better the file, the more accurate a critique can be.

Michael Lloyd
    Participant

“Most people get over doing it sooner or later anyways so who cares.”

Good point. Not commenting about it is a good plan.

I came to the point of not watermarking out of laziness :o) I have a number of brushes that I made that make it easy but it was a pain to go turn the layer off, safe the TIF, go back to Lightroom, synchronize, then print… Then I found an article on G+ that validated my laziness 🙂

APMcK
    Participant

These are good rules of etiquette. Looking forward to comments

John Thompson

I think this is a fantastic idea and I have commented on others work. What I can not seem to find out is how to upload a photo to be evaluated. I am obviously not looking in the right area. I am new to this forum.

Francois Steque
    Participant

Good rules and etiquette,looking forward to comment and get constructive comments

tom dinning
    Blocked

This should be interesting.
    I’ve been away from my computer for a while but am back with 5000 imagtes to be processed. In between abusing (sorry! negatively criticising) people, I might post a few.

Sharks bite but I bite back.

Good swimming.
    Tom

Marilyn Tyzack
    Participant

Hi, I have just joined this group because I have been desperate for some honest feedback on my photographs. I love taking photos but I am sure most of them are only fit for the bin as I came to this hobby rather later in life than most of you.
    Anyway, the only thing that concerns me is that from my knowledge of working extensively with training, I know people learn through feedback. However, this shouldn’t be all negative. All the evidence shows that the PIN approach works best. Positive, informative and then negative. In this way, we won’t become too disheartened too quickly.

RoyEladio
    Participant

Please explain how to post images into the Shark Tank. I have photos in my album but I don’t see how to make them appear in the Tank ? Thanks

tom dinning
    Blocked

I retract anything nice I might have said about LS in the past. This is worse than a ‘like’ button.
    Oh, the indignity of it all. Doesn’t anyone take photos for the sake of taking photos any more? Does everyone want the prize shot. Is everyone a critic?
    But even LS can’t get rid of me that easily. Revenge is mine. I’m going to slather this place with photos and comments and not once will I mention cropping, sharpening, dodging and burning to anyone’s photo. I’ll just do what photos are meant to do: enjoy them.

Stand back. I have the shark net in hand.

Stewart
    Participant

Ha! Go hard! Starring -Tom Dining as Captain Quint!…. theres sharks popping up all over the shop!
    Your going to need a bigger boat! 😉

tom dinning
    Blocked

I have honor and goodness on my side. Besides, I’m wearing my undies on the outside.

Joyce
    Participant

I stopped critiquing after the first day. Critiques by definition are not all negative. People learn by pointing out what is working in their images as well as what is not. They also learn the lingo of photography and how it applies to their work. Sorry I can’t do all negative.

Michael Lloyd
    Participant

Mods- Maybe posters should be asked to list the tools that they have at their disposal. My comments usually but not always center around having a fairly complete digital darkroom and that’s not always the case. It would help to know specifics like LR3 vs LR5 or CS3 vs CS6. Other things like Nik software add ons, etc would be nice to know too.

Michael Lloyd
    Participant

@joyce

One definition of critique is- “A detailed analysis and assessment of something” and a synonym for critique is criticism. The old adage- “it’s not what you say but how you say it” comes to mind.

It’s easy to say “wow I really like this” and move on but it’s not helpful. Thats’ a Facebook comment. I’ve seen some stuff in the Tank that I loved but I couldn’t comment on because the poster did a great job with capture and post processing (in my opinion). I’ve seen some stuff that I don’t feel like I know anything that would help. It doesn’t make the image bad. It’s just outside of my ability to offer help. Every now and then I see a “wow but” image so I comment. I admit that it would be nice to be able to say things like “you nailed the exposure but the horizon is crooked or I would like to see better tonal contrast AND explain how to get there” but after a while the mods would get exhausted from deleting all of the “wow that’s pretty” comments. So, the no nice things rule helps “moderate” that for them.

Also- in the end… the print is the final benchmark. I can do things to a crappy shot to make it pass muster on a computer screen, even at 72ppi, but when it goes to print every flaw is amplified so the level of preparation must be amplified. What takes me a few clicks for the web might take an hour for a print. We can’t see the print on a forum so the best that we can do is to help make the on screen image the best that it can be.

Peggy
    Participant

I’m looking forward to participating in this unique platform to improve on our skills. Who better to guide us along than those who have the willingness to share their experience and knowledge with the community. Thank you to the webmasters and to our hosts. Best of luck in this endeavour. May every week be Shark Week.

@joyce – Basically @michael-lloyd summed it up perfectly. If we don’t want this to turn into another Flickr / 500px love-fest, then we need the rules to do the heavy-lifting in moderation.

It’s easy enough to couch comments such as “I love the exposure” in terms of “I would leave the exposure where it is while changing these other things”

Jerry Fleming
    Participant

Not sure that I am qualified to make comments, especially negative ones, yet. Still new at this but wanting input to do better photography

Walter Lustig
    Participant

After having commented on a number of pics, I have noticed the following … it seems that some posters choose some random pic, post it, give no or little info on it and wait for others to bring it on.

If it is a bad a mediocre snapshot, this is it and nothing can be done … a large percentage of photos are beyond saving and I assume that applies to any photographer unless you shoot very selectively.

I wish people would post their most serious work or work they really have an issue with, not just any random shot.

I wish people would post their high res version or link to it and if processed also the original image before crop and/or post.

I wish people would add their settings and if applicable why they chose them and which they chose and which were left to the camera.

I wish people would tell us why they took the shot and what their intentions were for processing, cropping it, etc.

Mike Dean
    Participant

Easy @fidelito, don’t go using all your wishes at once!

Walter Lustig
    Participant

Well, I doubt that they will all be granted anyway 😉

@fidelito – Currently myself, @redman and @tersha are madly running around trying to make sure everyone does things like describe what they are trying to achieve with their photos. It’s a big job as there are currently a few hundred new posts in the Shark Tank every day.

If you would like to help with that by pointing people to the shark tank etiquette thread nicely, then all the help would be very much appreciated! 🙂

That goes for everyone, so if you want to see the Shark Tank formed the way you like, then now is the time to dive in and help drive the culture of it!

Walter Lustig
    Participant

Yes, I guess you called some spirits by starting this forum … will gladly do as you suggest.

Thanks for letting me/us know!

Mikell Herrick
    Participant

LOL!!! 😉

John C Stires
    Participant

I’ve attended nearly a dozen serious in-the-field workshops. Without a doubt the most helpful was when the staff took our film (then) at mid-day for us to critique that evening. Cropping and DOF became the most-often areas for improvement… most shots had two to ten different photos within its borders.
    As with everything else in life (with the possible exception of sex) we learn more by making mistakes than by being absolutely PERFECT right out of the chute.
    This critique mechanism looks to be a terrific forum and promises the most growth for its participants… thanks for that guys n’ gals. Now sock it to me!

Pinner
    Participant

This is a great idea and, if everyone follows the rules, quite educational.
    I am looking forward to be an active participant. Thank you for setting
    this up.

Ursula

LORAINE DAVIS
    Participant

Hi everyone
    I am a newbie here too and this is quite interesting. I have not seen a anything like this before. It is a great idea but I am not sure that I will be of any use as a critic. I not so good with words but if I like something I can say so but not sure about things that I don’t like. Well Let’s see how it go’s.

Richard Wood
    Participant

Rob:
    Please remove the restriction on positive comments from the Shark Tank

Done.

Richard Wood
    Participant

That’s a good change… now since you have nothing else to j//k could we please have a THROWDOWN FORUM?

Richard Wood
    Participant

Let me know how I can help…here in the States I am about 12 hours out of phase with you

Jean Cotton
    Participant

Me too, I’m new and can’t find out how to post a photo in shark tank.

David Blacker
    Participant

Any reason why thumbnails no longer show up when I’m looking through the posts in the Shark Tank? I now need to click on a post to see the actual pic, whereas before I could see the pic when scrolling through the entries.

Ya – was seriously slowing down the site to the point that it was crashing.

Also, no way to make sure the thumbnails didn’t distort.

David Blacker
    Participant

Oh well.

Don’t think of it as a permanent state, @david-blacker – I had to take it down due to the site performance, but I am actively looking for other solutions. 🙂

David Blacker
    Participant

that’s great. i always enjoy scrolling down through the thumbnails looking for an interesting one (oops, i mean one that i can tear to shreds). now i’d have to look for interesting titles (or titles i can suggest improvements to).

John C Stires
    Participant

I’m NOT new and don’t know how… . Good luck to us!

John C Stires
    Participant

I’ve been on a lot of high-end workshops… Rocky Mt School, AZ Highways, Rick Sammon and a dozen others around the world. Without question critiquing was by far the most instructive. “Tearing apart” [literally piece by piece] someone else’s photo is a first step and then you get handed your hat… “No, that would NOT look good, Calvinator, how ’bout THIS?” and whamo, I get it. Then it’s my turn in the tank and whamo, I get it AGAIN. After ‘getting it’ a dozen times or so I’ve paid for the workshop by learning what works and what doesn’t work.
    I appreciate the opportunity; thank you.

Keith Broad
    Participant

This is a great idea. I will do my best to give objective and constructive feedback.

Dwaine Gipe
    Participant

I’m new to the site and the Shark Tank. I think some thoughtful comments have been made here and more should evolve as the forum gains experience. I tossed one of my best shots to date in the Sharks Tank a day ago. I’m standing patiently awaiting some additional criticism. I am with a background in sports, fine art and hopefully an improving photographer. 90% of my efforts to date have been attempting to grow in the Sports Action Photography. I do not think one can improve without works to view, encouragement and opinions of others. I will most likely not criticize without possible suggested resolve. When my works evolve into “ours” and finally to something generally recognized as mine I will be beginning to know “we” did something right.

jeff
    Participant

What a great idea!! The only way to improve is by knowing what you are doing wrong imho…To many people these days favour blowing smoke up peoples bottoms rather than telling them the truth.

mboz
    Participant

I agree… when and where can I upload photos ?

mboz
    Participant

mboz
    Participant

mboz
    Participant

Michael Lloyd
    Participant

@mboz those are nice but you put them in the wrong place.

Andre Barnard
    Participant

Michael Lloyd
    Participant

@capetown99 this is in the wrong location

Start a new thread from this location

The Shark Tank

Amanda L. Thomas
    Participant

Can you post more than one photo? This is my first time getting critiqued by a “shrk Tank” before so I could really use the feedback..
    Thank you
    Amanda L. Thomas
    Catalytic Camera Photos

@catalyticcamera Just start a new thread with each photo you want critiqued 🙂

Andre Barnard
    Participant

For me, a all in all very good portrait. Composition excellent, DoF spot-on. The lighting is the only thing I can give some negative marks. The left side of the lovely lady’s face is too underexposed. I would like to see more of her left cheek and eye and hair.
    Keep up the good work!

André

Richard Baldwin
    Participant

Is it essential to state exposure settings or lens used etc. I think it is a rather annoying habit of photographers to get hung up on how an image was created rather than being able to critique from the point of an observer.

I have received one notification about so called etiquette, and personally all this settings stuff detracts from an image.

Are we not critiquing on composition, lighting and how the image grabs us?

Maybe I am missing the point but you wouldn’t want to know what brand of paintbrushes an artist uses!

Andre Barnard
    Participant

Can’t agree more!!! This site is beginning to irritate me. Sorry

Tersha
    Keymaster

@richardbaldwin1, and @capetown99……………….’so called etiquette’ is just a form of common courtesy.
    There are a lot of learners and beginners on this site, and it is very helpful for them to see camera settings, and also a little info about how the photo was taken.

Michael Lloyd
    Participant

Of course settings are important. For instance, If I post the following image in The Tank, with no info, what is a person that is new to photography going to learn from it? If I add that it was a 30s exposure @f9 and ISO 100 and that it was made during the day that “should” initiate questioning. Someone more versed in long exposure photography might ask “how many stops?”. Someone with no experience with ND filters would also need to know that I used a 10 stop ND filter. For someone that is just getting into photography this might initiate a question about, or Google search for, ND filters (Singh-Rey :o) )

Do I personally care about the settings? No, not really. But I see them as a vehicle for learning the craft.

Richard Baldwin
    Participant

@tersha and @capetown99…………..Ok so for beginners having a bit of info on the settings is maybe helpful but I think that asking a question such as “how on earth did you do that” is a good way to find out information.

If someone wants to say what they did to achieve a picture then that is fine but I resent being told that I must do this, I thought free will was still in play here. Obviously I was wrong. If I decide to post an image I will not bore myself or most others by writing the settings.

If anyone wants to know I will do my best to tell them. I am all for helping and answering questions.

Photography is being ruined by the equipment jocks, if it’s a good image it’s a good image. It’s amazing what can be learnt from an image if you take the time to study it and do a bit of work for yourself.

Digital Camera did an article entitled 32 things photographers say and what the actually mean. I found this which backs me up.

When photographers say…

You’ve got some great bokeh there.

They actually mean…

I’m more at ease talking about the mechanics of photography than entering into a discussion of the artistic merits of your picture. Hey, did I mention that it looks really sharp? What lens did you use?

What @michael-lloyd said.

Yeah, it can be a bit of a drag, but if I wasn’t reading stuff from experienced folks about how putting settings in the photo posts was a drag, I would be reading stuff from newbies about how they don’t even know about settings.

As the board is read by 80% newbies, we do what helps the majority.

If the demographic changes in the future we’ll reassess – none of it is set in stone, but for now that’s the way it’s going to be.

Lenny Wollitz
    Participant

Hey Admin.
    Other sites similar to this limit the number of photos that can be posted in a given time. Is there a limit here and if not might you consider one especially for people that post multiple photos with no shooting information?

@el-dub – yup – that’s one of the things we will be fixing in the near future with some design changes that @redman came up with. Basically a new submission form for the Shark Tank that prompts folks to include shooting info etc too.

Lenny Wollitz
    Participant

¡Perfecto!

Stewart
    Participant

mucho bueno

Katrina Burney
    Participant

Well I am new at the Shark Tank but here goes. I have been taking photo’s for about three years now and they tell me that I need to find one thing and focus on it. Well I have tried but I am ask to do different subjects. My favorite is the Western Art that I have posted in my albums. I am looking for honesty to improve myself. So I am a big girl give it to me straight.
    I use a Cannon 7D and I love it I have two different lenses that I catch myself using the most one 50mm
    the other is 70mm -250mm
    Thank you
    Katrina

Lee O Alexander
    Participant

I just joined today. First I would like to wish all a very Merry Christmas. I consider myself an advance amateur and have been a past vice president of our photography club here in Lawton OK. The Shark Tank is something new regarding photography from what I have done in the past, and I do believe the guidelines can be accomplished. I would love to participate to help others improve on their photographic skills.

Dwaine Gipe
    Participant

Welcome. You will find reasonable effort is being made to make this open and growing set of guidelines work in the common interest.

Richard
    Participant

I agree as well great place to learn from others still have a few problem knowing what I’ve posted on shark tank and what I haven’t.

Ramona Boston
    Participant

I soooo appreciate the watermark discussion! This is exactly where I’m at. I’ve tried it on a few prints, and online. I like the notion of signing my work I suppose but it really is an aggravation and I’ve gone along this far without it!

Shane
    Participant

Some people need to learn the difference between constructive criticism, deconstructive criticism, and cyber bullying. I have pretty thick skin. But, I saw some “critiquing” from one dude on some poor girl’s photo and I actually felt sorry for her. At least I think it was a girl.

Richard
    Participant

I agree some people aren’t happy with their life and it shows in their critique of others

Shane
    Participant

My personal guide is this, If I wouldn’t say it to someone who could kick my ass, I probably shouldn’t say it at all…

Michael Lloyd
    Participant

Bear in mind that this is an international forum. Sometimes the language difference can cause misunderstandings.

Personally… if I see an image that is (in my opinion) crap I don’t comment. I used to but people started playing the “art card” and I chose to disconnect myself from those kinds of conversations. If I see some potential but the image needs help I usually write a book. If it’s really good, then I may comment to that effect.

Commenting with “nice image” when it isn’t or recommending some kind of off the wall crop that in the end does nothing to improve the image, is as bad as being overly critical.

If anyone want’s a continuous stream of “nice picture” style comments they can get those on Facebook.

VALERY
    Participant

What is the sub forum?

HOW TO ADD PHOTO HERE ???

Frank
    Participant

Hi everyone! I’m new here I’m Frank and been taking pictures for a wile now but would like to build my knowledge around photography a bit! Love this forum and know I will get some good critique from everyone here! I made my first post in the Shark tank just a few min ago!

Rachon
    Participant

I know you don’t want critique dripping in sugar. With that being said, as a beginner if a picture is submitted that is truly good or extraordinary I need to hear what I did right so that I keep applying the good while I am perfecting the bad. Little things do matter, example of: If power lines ruin the picture say so, because the person taking the picture may only see their subject and may not even notice what is blatant to someone with an objective view.

Richard
    Participant

undrstood

Rachon
    Participant

Shark Tank does work and little things do matter! I submitted a photo for review and was given a very good critique. I went back with my notes, yes I write down each piece of advice whether I agree or not. I blow up my photo and apply each critique and see what I come up with. I was told the road signs, electrical lines, and something going on at the right (which was glare caused from a window.) distracted from my subject. All little things that ruined my photo. I went back took another photo of the same subject and then come home and removed the power lines and if I do say so myself came up with a very good photo. I couldn’t have done this without shark tank and that honest reviewer, thank you very much to all of those who make shark tank possible and a great place for me to learn.

Michael Lloyd
    Participant

@rafayat post your image in its own Sharktank post. You keep putting them in the etiquette thread and you’re not likely to get a critique here,. Also please read the rules. You’re supposed to include camera settings, etc.

how to delete this Thread ?

wayne
    Participant

Trying to capture how frozen a single tree branch was after freezing rain storm.

metallic ice.jpg by wayne on Light Stalking

Michael Lloyd
    Participant

@wayluc can you post this in it’s own thread? It won’t be noticed by very many people here. Also, can you post image data (ISO, f stop, shutter speed) with the image.

kerry
    Participant

I have just recently joined the Shark Tank and have read/looked at quite a few. I have also sent one in and critiqued another.
    I am a little disappointed in the answers some or most are giving. I thought this was to be a “critique” of what you would have done to make it better, or what was done wrong. I am seeing alot of ‘not my taste’ or don’t like the color or nice shot. This is not being helpful. If we are to learn…we need to be taught what can help us…useful information.
    I have a lot to learn and learn from others critiques as well. Thank you for listening

Adrienne Siebert
    Participant

@br3kes
    I agree with you about the “Not my type” critique when it is based entirely on subject matter, but it doesn’t bother me if one expresses that it is not their type, as long as they have an idea on how to improve the shot of the OP’s subject.

For the most part, I don’t feel comfortable critiquing shots that are not my type, especially if I don’t have enough knowledge about that genre of photography.

Mónica
    Participant

Hi there! I have been taking photographs for two years now. And I have found out that photography is all I want to do. I hope someday to do it professionally. I believe that one of the ways to improve my photography is also getting constructive criticism. I hope in some way to be helpful, too. I uploaded my first photo in the Shark Tank today, I wanted to get a picture that showed the beauty of a tulip field. The settings were f/14, 1/640s and ISO-800, 18-55 mm lens. Thank you very much!

Mohan
    Participant

Agreed to the core. A spirit of photographic professionalism should be maintained.

Anonymous

i agree

Mohan
    Participant

I had always believed that by posting comments such as “lovely”, “good shot”,”magnificent”, will boost the morale of the photographer but this forum proves otherwise. Sometimes Negative Thoughts Become Positive. To improve further. Practice makes perfect and what better way to do other than to accept critics. This is my views only.

Wendy
    Participant

Hello. I have just joined this group because I am trying to learn eveyrthing possible to become a better photographer and knowing other’s perspectives is a great learning tool. I’m happy to see a forum which allows constructive critique. I have been reading the comments regarding the etiquette and have to agree with some who are not engaged with all negative feedback. May I suggest that positive feedback is just as important. We need to understand what we are doing right as well as what we can improve on. At the end of the day, it’s all about learning and improving.

Rules are fine, looking forward to learning from your forum

Lee-Ann
    Participant

I look forward to getting some constructive critisms. Im not overall confident in posting critisms but will definitely share my thoughts.

Brian G
    Participant

It would be nice if people read and abided by the guidelines.

Great photo! Fantastic Image! Love this shot, don’t change a thing!

These are not critiques, they are comments and not overly helpful for someone who want to learn how to make there photo better.

For the people that don’t critique but rather just ask the person to provide there EXIF information… there are newbies on here, they may not know what EXIF is and if you look in the guidelines, it doesn’t state to include your EXIF information (see item 6 below). It only asks that you provide a few lines of information on how you took the shot. EXIF information doesn’t tell me if the photo was shot using a tripod, or if it was handheld, or if the shooter climbed up into a tree to get the angle he/she wanted.

1) Make sure you are in the Shark Tank sub forum (there are several sub forums on this site)
    2) Only negative (but constructive) comments (feel free to state “what worked” in the photo, but no “love this shot” type of comments.
    3) Always be polite (this is about being helpful, not nasty)
    4) Critique somebody else before you ask for a critique
    6) When you post an image for critique, post a few sentence about how you took the shot, when and what you were trying to achieve. This helps people keep the quality of their critiques higher.
    7) Ask people before you go ahead and edit their images.

Michael Lloyd
    Participant

Sometimes people post great photo’s, fantastic images, and I love the shot… but I rarely leave it completely alone unless I really leave it alone and move on without comment.

Settings (exif) will sometimes help a person understand the concept of depth of field, etc.

My favorite…

Mohan
    Participant

I have the same opinion as what @bgag29 has mentioned. Truly speaking, it happens where the author gets swept away by the fancy comments, ” fabulous shot”, fantastic, great etc.. . That does not help him/her to improve their shots but rather stay where they are. Stagnant. All the seven points that he has pointed out truly sticks by the rules. Being an amateur photography, i do welcome critics that can help me improve my shot. I am into street photography and any one who has the same passion, do critic my shots ( at any level). I will try to it to the next level possible.

Cahlean Klenke
    Participant

Question – Could I have the Shark Tank critique my website? I’d like a brutal but constructive criticism on it esp where the weak points are. If this isn’t an option I will stick to submitting images.

Thank you

Tersha
    Keymaster

@aboutadogphoto, I imagine some would like to, but, I think @admin, needs to comment?

@aboutadogphoto – Just throw it in the normal forums and say that you’re looking for real feedback. 🙂

Jonathan
    Participant

not sure if already discussed. but what if we threw in a “like” button. I know a person does not want to see post after post that “love this picture”. and I know we are not suppose to do it. but I feel it does help some people to know that people saw it and just don’t have anything to say. so if that was/is the case, then we might consider having a like button. that way we can see that people are looking at it and just don’t have any critque to say.

Jonathan
    Participant

can someone tell me how to edit someones picture. Of course with me asking first. but what is the steps for when someone tells me to edit it?

Michael Lloyd
    Participant

There used to be a like button but it disappeared recently.

Right click, Save As, Edit, and then upload it

Jonathan
    Participant

Thanks and thanks @michael-lloyd

@fibonacci Regarding the like button, there is actually a count on the forums page of how many people have viewed the thread so you know folks are looking. 🙂

Jonathan
    Participant

@admin thanks. I just noticed that last night

dennis wake
    Participant

I have posted photos in the new topic . should I not of posted them on the shark tank in stead.

Tersha
    Keymaster

@wider, if you’re looking for critiques, then post in the Shark Tank, otherwise in the appropriate subject forum.

Makhy Dela Pena
    Participant

Cool! 🙂

Joe Batt
    Participant

How do I join the Shark Tank ‘sub forum’?

Tersha
    Keymaster

@joe7b, if you want to post in the Shari Tank, just click on the ”NEW TOPIC” button, top, righthand side of page…

Sylvain
    Participant

Hi Guys; Newbie on the site. Posted a photo yesterday on the Shark Taqnk Forum, received nice comments and would like to answer a couple of questions that were asked but can’t find the way to do it. Please someone guide me. Whenever I think I found the right way to do it, I am told I need to be logged in and then I log in and the cycle starts over again. Thanks

Brian Lawson
    Participant

Have to agree with yumarena, I can’t find out how to engage with the Shark Tank participants. I’m guessing it’s there, I just can’t find it…thanks.

Sylvain
    Participant

Hi Brian,

I think I found the way by using the link sent to my mail box. I think the website didn’t work properly yesterday and kept sending me back to log in. Hope it is working for you now.

Barbara Searle
    Participant

Hi, Good to have a site that takes constructive critique instead of the usual ‘fab/great/smashing’ shot etc!. Great for me as a ‘Learner’ as well – as I learn – (…for want of a better word..) a ‘harder’ way – but definitely faster!
    For the last few years I have been a member of a fantastic old photo Forum whose members are varied, but most have been plying their craft for around 60 years so tend not to take prisoners! – They are all perfectly lovely but also tell you exactly what is wrong with your shot and how to make it ‘better’ (and have a good laugh with you in the process)! As a learner, I was darned if I was going to blink or even open my mouth in front of them but they encouraged me to ‘see’ what I liked and disliked about theirs and in turn learn about how I made mine! LOL – doesn’t mean to say I know anything about taking my *own* shots but am learning to look at someone elses images objectively and understand them better. What I am saying is that it is scary at first but once you loosen up and start doing it is wonderfully rewarding!
    I recently joined another photo site on Facebook where people post profoundly but end up saying the same gratuitous commentary and it does feel very annoying at times although, with a Forum with Such a scary name as ‘Shark Tank’ – I hope there will be some people who actually Do like your work and will say so?
    Having an ‘about you’ page may help other members to look you up to see what you have done/do before they comment too harshly (Lol – at first!) 🙂 God Bless!

Andre Barnard
    Participant

@photojunkie
    Thank you so much for this posting. It’s something I’ve been crying for for a long long time. It can’t be so difficult to add a link to click which takes you to the critic’s own photos/album. I’m sure they don’t have anything to hide ( or have they;). They should rather be proud of their work, and I think they are, so why keep us in the dark?

Andre

Michael Lloyd
    Participant

It’s not that hard to find someone’s work on the web (if it’s there)

http://wildlightimagingstudio.com/

Andre Barnard
    Participant

@michael-lloyd,
    I know, but why use a backdoor to get in if an open front door can be created to make it more accessible to the guru’s photos?

Andre Barnard
    Participant

@michael-lloyd,
    Sorry, I most probably miss it somewhere, but I fail to find the link wildlightmagic giving me any indication of critiques on LS. I don’t even see any relationship with LS, apart from being also a photography site with some good photos. Please tell me where I’m missing the plot. The only connection might be that it’s your personal site??

André

Michael Lloyd
    Participant

Yes, it is my site. My point was that it’s not hard to find someone on the internet. Also- having a website doesn’t make you a good photographer or good at giving a critique. That’s why I’ll occasionally drop an image of mine in the Tank. If I take on the task of critiquing someone else then I think I should step up and let others have a look at what I’ve done. Most of the time I know there is a problem with the image but can’t put my finger on it.

Andre Barnard
    Participant

@michael-lloyd, thanks for your input!

Lenny Wollitz
    Participant

Hey @admin or @tersha how do I unsubscribe from the Shark Tank Etiquette emails?

Michael Lloyd
    Participant

Scroll to the top right of this window and click “Unsubscribe”?

As I have stated MULTIPLE times before, nobody is trying to “hide” anything. The link to each person’s album got lost with a bug and will be replaced when the new design goes live.

Andre Barnard
    Participant

@admin

Oooops, don’t get itchy when the problem lies with you. I’ll wait till you cooled down and fixed the bug!….:)

Ed Aldridge
    Participant

@capetown99 sorry but I don’t think @admin is getting itchy, I’ve read discussions that you have been involved in where he has stated the problem and what is being done to rectify it.

Web design can be a time consuming process especially when you are planning a radical overhaul of a current site, please cut him some slack and wait for the new site to go live, then this problem and the itchiness will be gone 🙂

Andre Barnard
    Participant

OK @ed-aldridge, @admin

I’ll rest my case and await the new, revamped website. Meanwhile I’ll still post the odd photo.

Just before I sign off, I’m not against critique. If I were I would’ve stayed out of here. I think I have a hard skin and was really kicked around on other sites by critics whose work I could see and admire. By having access to their photos added to the critique. In other words, not only TELLING you what you’ve done wrong, but actually SHOWING you. The old saying…………….”a picture is 1000x more worth than a 1000 words”

No hard feelings towards anyone!

Jim
    Participant

I really like the idea of this and look forward to using it and getting feedback, not sure I’m qualified to give a lot of criticism other than just what catches my eye

Question though, can we say what does work in a photo to us as well as what doesn’t?

Barbara Searle
    Participant

Hi, On a photo club that I’m a member of, everytime you post to their Gallery your image shows up as a thumbnail, but when you expand it it automatically shows your exif details below the image (which it collected when you uploaded) …. Could we not do the same here? – That would save a lot of trouble and make it easier for everyone? Just out of interest they have a ‘star’ rating on each photo, so even if people don’t leave any verbal, they can rate it! Bit like a ‘Like’ button which is much more personal on each image perhaps than the amount of people that viewed the whole thread?

– Questions..
    If I wanted to start a new ‘Topic’ would it matter if someone else had already posted the same Topic further back along the forum?
    Is each ‘Topic’ like a mini forum for others to add their own relevant pics to it?
    Is there a way I could do a ‘search’ to see if there is a similar Topic, or is there a list of Topics somewhere that we can go add our pics to..? (Sorry!) … (Smilies would be nice!) (*wink*) Thanks!

@photojunkie – working on it. 😉

Just start a new topic if you cannot find a recent relevant one 😉

scott winzenried
    Participant

I am just wondering if anyone has actually had any of their photos critiqued on this shark tank. I have seen about five pages of posts with four or five photos and no comments. Now I am new to this stuff, so admittedly, I may be looking in the wrong place or wrong way. Any help in understanding this is appreciated.

Ed Aldridge
    Participant

@scottwinzenried it may just be that there is nothing in there that people feel a) comfortable b) able c) worthwhile commenting on, I must admit I have not popped into the tank for a while so have no idea what is in there at the moment..

scott winzenried
    Participant

I figured it out. I clicked on a thread inside the shark tank. I didn’t even look at the other threads in the shark tank forum. I now understand how this all works. Thanks for the reply though.

Ed Aldridge
    Participant

@scottwinzenried glad to hear it 🙂 I believe the site is being revamped to make it easier to follow so keep your eyes peeled for a new look!

Michele A Morgan
    Participant

I think this would help me tremendously, however, at this time I’m not confident that I could/should be critiquing someone else’s photo. I will get there!

Toni Caputo
    Participant

Just joined and I applaud the reality critique of submitted images. I thought 500px.com was going to be that kind of site but eventually devolved to the “WOW that’s great” category. I do belong to PSA and subscribe to their digital dialog section. And there are groups of 6-7 photographers who submit 1 image/mo and will get critiques and give critiques. I say this in response to the post re, liking an images and not critiquing. The section seem to come to the conclusion that – If you find that you like the image then stat what it is that you like i.e. – composition, lighting, tack sharp or soft focus. In other words the reasons photographically you do like the image. and there you have my 2 cents.
    I’m looking forward to participate in the shark tank and hopefully increase my skills

Good to have you on board @toniwithani

Richard Joe-Leonn
    Participant

Thank you very much good to be here

Sylvain
    Participant

I’ve joint few months ago and already posted 3-4 photos for critique. Had very constructive critiques that have enabled me to look at my photos from another angle or to correct few things I had missed.

I don’t see the purpose in getting approbation and taps on the back. I just want to get constructive criticism to improve my photo-taking and I think this is what the Shark Tank is all about.

Welcome to the Tank.

Richard Joe-Leonn
    Participant

I came here to get better I can get all the strokes I need from my clients and friends who don’t know any better. thank you for making me feel at home.

Susan
    Participant

This is a great idea. I have been a member of a camera club for a couple of months and while some of the feedback was useful, it didn’t get down to the basics which, as a new digital user, is what I need. So thanks in advance everyone. Just a thought, I like to call this opportunities for improvement rather than negative feedback. Cheers

That is probably a good way of saying it @susan2011 🙂

Andre Barnard
    Participant

Congrats on the new website and to all of you making it happen! Looks great

Thanks – still plenty of gremlins to iron out 🙂

Richard Joe-Leonn
    Participant

I was really surprised took me for a loop I’m sure it would work out it’s a little hard to navigate but I’m sure I’ll get use to it

Richard Joe-Leonn
    Participant

Are we still doing contests like the food one I’m in the middle of buy what I need and setting up my kitchen for this event.

The Falx
    Participant

I mostly live in the Shark Tank…..when im active……..the rest is mostly to gentle for me……but its horses for courses…and I do dip in here and there……obviously im more obliging away from the tank but it doesn’t come natural………lol!!

Sylvain
    Participant

When I joined my photo club, we decided after our first few meetings that if we were going to progress, we had to be honest in our critique. Not mean but honest with what we thought. Of course, it is always in the manner. Some people are naturally smoother talker than other and are more tactful but which ever way, honesty is the only way to learn.

SONU216
    Participant

SONU216
    Participant

I used an extension tube to capture this image and did a little cropping.

SONU216
    Participant

Can anyone guide me ?

Michael Lloyd
    Participant

@sonu216

Start a new thread in the Shark Tank forum. This isn’t the right place

SONU216
    Participant

Thanks for guiding me.

Hey @michael-lloyd – you know you have the power to split threads, right? (You should see a “split” link at the top of the post you want to split.

Michael Lloyd
    Participant

I’m going to tell on myself @admin… I tried the move button… failed miserably… and slunk away into the ether. I’ll try split next time. I didn’t know what that meant

gregorwmft
    Participant

I’m in. Sounds great to me!

Gregorw

Glad you like the idea @gregorwmft

Bob
    Participant

Looking forward to your input

lightsmithy
    Participant

Quick questions (hopefully quick) that I haven’t found answers to

1) Do embedded photos retain their ICC profile (assuming it’s in the original at the referenced URL). I’ve seen a few people complaining about thier color being off. I upload sRGB profiled jpegs to my server and I assume I would embed a url from there and this server will recompress it (yuck). Same question applies to images uploaded to the album here.

2) Are art nudes acceptable for critique or is it strictly SFW only?

No compression here 🙂

Yes, just mark it with NSFW in the title.

howard944
    Participant

Da Rules are simple and good. I agree

deejonn
    Participant

Agreed – sounds a good plan all round.

inmyeyes
    Participant

Agree!

Jaycouey
    Participant

Agree, but would like to refrain from critiquing the work of others for a bit until I see where I stand skill wise with the group. I hope this won’t bother anyone, as the possibility of actually getting usable constructive criticism on my photos is one of my favorite things about this site.

exrayeye
    Participant

I have a question. Is the critiquing based on sound principle or a matter of personal preference?

Andre Barnard
    Participant

In my opinion, one can never critique a photo on “sound principle” alone. Yes, there are basic so-called rules like the thirds, leading lines, POV etc, but in the end it is how the maker of the photo likes it. For me, there is always some kind of emosion in the photographer when taking/making a photo which can seldom relayed by “sound principles”. Hope I make sence!

Sylvain
    Participant

@extrayeye, It’s all subjective and it is hard to separate the technique from the artistic aspect of a photo. Many people do critiques, some with lots of experience, others with less. If you have more experience, you can be more precise in your coaching; if not you talk more from a feeling point of view as mentioned by @capetown99.

And you, the person receiving the critique, after others have pointed out to you certain aspects of your photo that you might have overlooked, can afterwards make a more enlightened decision as to what to correct or leave. You are the final judge.

z4pilot
    Participant

I am new to the Shark Tank but looking forward to an open and safe forum that focuses on honest feedback. What we evaluate is the finished product; what we cannot evaluate (nor should we) is the motive and vision behind the image. Only the photographer can judge whether his/her vision was effectively realized. And all feedback reflects the bias and interpretation of the individual providing the critique. Comments focusing on technical and artistic aspects of an image provide the photographer insight that can be applied to his/her craft – such are invaluable in pursuit of better images; emotional responses, while nice to receive, offer little useful input. Being candid and constructive should be collaborative, not confrontational. Each image posted represents an opportunity to learn – through observation and through critique. I look forward to continuing education!

Diane
    Participant

As someone new to photography I look forward to learning from negative critique. It will also be helpful, as someone with a world of things to learn, to hear observations about what worked well as it may easily have been something I did totally inadvertently. Thanks for everyone’s generous sharing.

Anonymous

No

capirani
    Participant

Please forgive me as I am new here. I thought the Shark Tank was for people to post their photos to get critique. Mostly all I see here is discussion but very few photos. But also I see under each person’s name a number of Total Posts. I am very confused at this point what we are doing on Shark Tank and how this works? The few photos I did see posted in this space, the comments following were that they were posted in the wrong place, which confused me even more. Finally about halfway through I just scrolled down to ask this question. What am I missing here? I read the Shark Tank rules of etiquette but did not see anything that explained what is going on here.

capirani
    Participant

Never mind, I figured it out. I was in the wrong thread to see the photos and was still in the etiquette thread. Duh.

So many responses, so many POVs…I look forward to jumping in and adding my 2 cents worth. It will give me a chance to practice the language of critiquing learned while earning a minor in photography. So many grueling afternoons, but very useful in the end and my photography is much better because of those sessions.

Lia
    Participant

Thank u. That is good advice. I just feel I can not critique some one else. Because I am still a novice. Just does not feel right for me. But I will try……..

dimo
    Participant

Hello every body. I am also a new one in this forum. I post this shot for critiqie.Thank you.

Dmitriy Christov_Pazardzhik_Street vew by night.jpg by dimo on Light Stalking

Tersha
      Keymaster

Hi @dimo, you need to start a new thread in the Shark Tank with this shot.

dimo
    Participant

OK

zpuskas
    Participant

Sounds good to me.

lan2518
    Participant

I am brand new to Light Stalking and The Shark Tank. I agree to the rules and hope to learn in this forum.

Gunther
    Participant

It is my first day with Light Stalking and Shark Tank. I am glad to find a forum like this.
    Well I am very nosy how it works :).

mistyisom
    Participant

How do I submit a photo for critique from my computer?

LoPils
    Participant

Unfortunately as I am very new to photography and trying to learn, I don’t feel comfortable or able to criticise others’ work. But I’d love to have comments on my photos.

Tobie

Read through the other critiques. You’ll quickly catch on.

Lyle Atkinson
    Participant

Agreed

Colette
    Participant

I totally agree,

Kind Regards Colette.

huskymason
    Participant

sounds good

RoyEladio
    Participant

I agree with the rules.

Lyle
    Participant

Hi everyone, new here, and even though it was said in 2013, this is spot on!

Thanks for the mail reminding me Rob

Alfred Lockwood
    Participant

Got it.  I will provide critiques in that spirit, and have appreciated receiving them.

Sue T
    Participant

I agree but as a new member of Light Stalking I consider myself an amateur & I’m not sure I am in any position to critique until I know exactly what I’m doing.

chris pook
      Participant

Don’t let that hold you back Sue.  You could even remark on how a photograph makes you feel – it does not have to be technical in content.  There are subjective and objective comments, technical and artistic, some are matters of fact and others are matters of opinion.  🙂  Critiquing is a great way of learning.  (I’m rubbish at it by the way, find it very difficult to offer criticism.)

Sue T
        Participant

Hiya Chris,

Thank you for your comment Chris, very much appreciated :o)

I also find it very difficult to offer criticism, so this will certainly bring me out of my comfort zone.

Ian c
    Participant

Spot on!

May I also add that people who submit images for a critique are doing so because they are hopefully looking for “ADVICE” & “ENCOURAGEMENT” on how to improve their photography.

Hopefully not to obtain any “wow that’s a great shot”  recognition comments for self satisfaction.

Before you critique an image always read it through before hitting the submit button with these five points in mind.

1. To make sure it is worded so they understand what you mean.
    2. Don’t use abbreviated photo jargon they may not be familiar with. explain in brackets if necessary.
    3. Put yourself in the shoes of the recipient, what would it do to your self esteem?
    4. Make them want to come back with other images due the “Helpful” Critiques the have received.
    5. Always keep in mind “WE ALL HAD TO START SOMWHERE”

Sue T
      Participant

Hi Ian,

I agree with your post Ian, I have only been here one day & made a few Bloopers already [Thank goodness there is a edit button] & I especially agree with 1 & 2 because I don’t understand photo jargon yet, but with time I’m sure I will. As yet I have not Critiques someone else photo, it is something I am uncomfortable with & feel I’m unable to do so as I myself do not know what on earth I am doing, so please be patient me.

Rod R
    Participant

Taken near Whistler, Canada - Nairn Falls

Tobie

You probably wanted to place this in the Shark Tank Rod? If so, see point 6 in the original post by admin… 😉

Falxy
    Participant

ST is still a cool place! 🙂

Luis M.
    Participant

I just visited the Shark Tank.  Wow.  Very intimidating.  I don’t understand why beginners are not given more encouragement and judged as a beginner and not as an expert.  It’s like a professional violinist critiquing his beginner student at a level which a professional violinist should be judged at.  Just my two-cents worth.

Luis

Yeah, the last month or two it has been like that a bit. I am removing all those who make it that way though. It will be going back to being a much more inclusive and constructive place that it has been for the vast majority of its seven years of existence.

Luis M.
    Participant

Thanks Rob.  I really appreciate your site and all you have done.

Luis

P71
    Participant

Just to add my voice of support for the work you all put in , i’m here a very short time and can already see the work you guys do and anyone that maybe working in the background thanks also to you for the site and how its Run ..

Cheers.

Rusted Imaging
    Participant

I see this as a great way for me to improve what I am trying to achieve.As a wordsmith I’m better taking photos but I will try and get it right.

Jeffrey
    Participant

This makes sense agree with keeping it nice but still keeping a straight forward honest critique that means something for the maker/artist/photographer while being positive.

So question where are the photographs and where can I up load images

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.