showing motion in a still photo?

Latest Posts Photography Forums The Shark Tank showing motion in a still photo?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Frank 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Gary Zerbst
    Participant

Each year the Chamber of Commerce sponsors Tour de Lopez a group tour around Lopez Island.   It gives me an opportunity to have an exercise in showing motion in a still photo vi a slow shuterspddaaand esulingmotion blur as the bike whizz past the end  of my driveway.   Which technique do you prefer:    panning with the moving  bikes or freezing the  background while the bike and rider are blurred

DSC05054

DSC05121

Gary Zerbst
    Participant

Sorry  about the poor typing. I have very very shaky hands and thus erroneous keystrokes.

I’ll try to correct it below:

Each year the Chamber of Commerce sponsors Tour de Lopez,   a group tour around Lopez Island.   It gives me an opportunity to have an exercise in showing motion in a still photo via a slow shutter speed and resulting motion blur as the bike whizz past the end  of my driveway.   Which technique do you prefer:    panning with the moving  bikes or freezing the  background while the bike and rider are blurred?

Dorothy
      Participant

Hi Gary, i like the panning.  no worries on the typing, i just figured it was done on purpose to accentuate the moving and blurring. 🙂

billyspad
    Blocked

I have tried this many times Gary and like your shots if I try and just freeze the background the subject looks blurred rather than suggesting movement. I have tried it with cyclists and people on wake boards with the same result. So I would settle for panning the camera to leave the subject sharp. I have noticed in motor sports bikes or cars there are some wonderful shots taken where the subject is often just in part out of focus and one can almost feel the movement in the shot. Maybe its because of the extra speed of the motorbike or race car? Maybe cos the guys with the long lens are real photographers and know what they are doing? Beyond my pay grade to know the reason, I am but a lowly snapper.

Tom M
    Participant

Both shots are worthy, but I guess,like Billy, I like the panning a little better…

Petr Nowak
    Participant

I like the panning much more…

3pco
    Participant

if you wanna freeze the background, try a rear-curtain flash

Dahlia Ambrose
    Keymaster

Hi Gary, I like the panning shot as well. It shows the subject in focus while still showing the motion in the picture. The first technique would work better for an even wider frame I believe 🙂

Albirder
    Participant

I definitely prefer the panning shot, but that may be a decision based on compositional strength. There is much better light and placement of the subject in the panning composition. I am not especially good at either one. Hats off to you!

Lenny Wollitz
    Participant

Hi Gary, I prefer the look of panning but if I really want t get the shot I will freeze action… much better chance to get something useful for me anyway.

Frank
    Participant

A Google search of “photos of racing bicycles” shows most with sharp subjects and background blur.  Also, blurring is found in the wheels which helps gives a sense of motion.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.