Smiling Mary

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Lenny Wollitz 11 months ago.

• Author

MaryandNeil
    Participant

Smiling Mary

Having spent an hour taking some portraits That were fairly “formal” Mary just lay back not he bed smiling and this was the best of a few quick shots I got after standing on the bedside chair. I am quite pleased with it but always ready to learn and improve. The RAW image was edited through PSE

Taken with a canon EOS8-D with he kt 18-55 lens :ƒ/3.5, 18.0 mm, 1/100

Lenny Wollitz
    Participant

Hi Neil,

A famous quote is “the eyes are the windows to the soul”. I looked at several of your photos on Flickr and in most of them Mary has beautiful almost dark blue eyes. In this photo the color in her eyes is so light and washed out that they almost look like zombie eyes so I would darken them a bit. The teeth look unnaturally white too. You might want to change your profile so forum members can edit your photos and see what the sharks come up with. Good luck!

Rob Eyers
    Participant

What Lenny said Neil.

I would add that the colour is just…well…funky. Under Mary’s chin and in all the dark portions there’s a strange green cast. It almost looks like split toning has been applied with the highlights being yellow and the shadows being green. For me, green skin doesn’t look good. If that can’t be sorted then maybe b&w or a warm toning would be worth a try.

The pillow on the left above her right forehead is really bright and an eye snag for me…maybe burn it a bit?

I like the comp. and Mary looks very natural and happy.

JasenkaG
    Keymaster

I pretty much agree with Rob’s comment. I think that this green cast doesn’t look good – maybe you can try to stick to the color version or B&W with some warming filter? I would also remove the vignetting, I feel it looks a bit too harsh.

Tom M
    Participant

Also agree with everything that’s been said, also don’t like the gloves she’s wearing. They are definitely too dark, probably would have been better without them. But I do like the pose…

MaryandNeil
    Participant

hi again and thanks for all the comments, it is always helpful, I didn’t even notice the green cast which might be more to do with my eyes than anything else. I will think about altering my setting to let people edit the shots but whilst if is good on here there are people that might abuse that privilege

Thanks again though, every day is a school day:)

@maryandneil – haven’t been too many issues with it in this forum. Maybe less than a handful in 9 years. 🙂

MaryandNeil
    Participant

Thanks for the reassurance, I will do it in future.

Lenny Wollitz
    Participant

mary and neil.  I feel the opposite.  I feel privileged to have this group of great photographers process my photos to show me “the way”.  I have been on this forum for, I can’t remember how long, a long time, but I have learned tons.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.