SUnset Silhouette

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Daniel Krueger
      Participant

I went out again last night and worked on sunsets and silhouettes. What do you think? Is it too much orange? I tried to pull out those few small clouds but I couldn’t get it to look right.

What do you think of the crop?

Nikon D70s

ISO 200, f/16, 1/20th, 65mm

beth
      Participant

i’m not a big fan of the crop.  there’s a ton of blank space at the bottom that you could just do away with.  the water tower is ok as a silhouette, but it doesn’t take up a whole lot of room and doesn’t add a lot of interest.  the sky is just too bland to really pull you in.

i tried to edit it, but it still isn’t doing much for me.  i straightened the horizon, cropped out most of the bottom, lightened the sky, darked the foreground, added saturation to the colors and then ran topaz denoise to remove the banding that happened throughout the sky.

beth
      Participant

i know it’s bad manners to add my own photo to your thread, but i’m doing it anyway to show you the difference between clouds and no clouds.

it’s got a lot of similarities to your image and it’s something you could shoot with the right conditions.  like your image it has a silhouetted foreground that’s low in the frame.  the sun was hidden by some of the clouds, but just like your’s it’s almost on the horizon on the left.  the rest of the space is just sky.  the only real difference is the clouds.  clouds add atmosphere and interest.  if i were to shoot the sky at sunset without clouds i’d look for a very big foreground, like a tree or rock formation or something to help break up a wide, featureless sky.

Daniel Krueger
      Participant

Hi @loki – what is “topaz denoise”? Do you use Lightroom or Photoshop?

Falxy
      Participant

yeah Beth its bad manners!

Its Daniels thread so be positive or negative about his image,by the way Daniels has content while yours has ummmm sky

Hi Daniel….yeah I like your image and vision,yeah needs straightening and clone out the green spot………..image making is really individual,tis you view on life.

personally i would crop in from the left to make a stronger image………..but hey well spotted and taken man! 🙂

beth
      Participant

it’s a noise removal software by the topaz.  it takes all of the noise/speckles and banding out of an image and gives it a smooth finish.  it takes out a lot of noise, but it also kills off details, like the faint clouds you had in the sky.

Home Topazlabs

i mainly use topaz sharpen ai, but i also have their product denoise and use it for some images.  their auto button works really well so the software is easy to use.  for your photo i was looking to remove the banding/streaks in the sky that occured when i lightened it so i hit auto and then increased the slider so it was overdone.

for my photos i use lightroom and then move into photoshop, but i start with a raw files.  when i start with a jpg like your file here on the website i do it all in photoshop.

Graham Hart
      Participant

I like it. Plain and simple sunset shot. I think with a sunset like this where the sunset itself is the star of the show (pun intended) and the rest is just trimmings, then colour is your main tool to work with. Also, the star burst effect adds something nice in my opinion. I added a yellow colour layer to the central part of the sun, straightened and then a mid strength vignette to add to the light show 🙂

Daniel Krueger
      Participant

@diripics – Thanks for your note.

I’m really interested in the post -processing lately and I’d like to learn more about what you did to create your version.  I’m specifically interested in your yellow layer you mentioned

Did you do that in Photoshop or Lightroom? (I’m guessing Photoshop since Lightroom doesn’t have layers). But how did you do it? Did you paint a yellow circle and blend it in? Is it something different?

Do you recommend any particular YouTube videos that cover this topic?

I’m so excited to be learning these new techniques!

Graham Hart
        Participant

Hi Daniel, all I did was make a quick selection of the sky. I did this because I wanted to slowly add the colour into the sky radiating from the sun.

Then I added a solid colour (yellow) mask. (Note: this will temporarily apply the colour to the foreground which is unmasked)

Next, to reveal the colour in the sky, I chose the white brush tool and starting with a brush the same size as the sun I started dabbing the brush into the mask directly over the sun while slowly increasing the size of the brush after each dab to make it erase more and more of the mask. After this step, it will probably look a little overdone so you can now use the opacity adjustment slider above the layers panel to reduce the effect to your desired strength.

Finally, I changed the brush from white to black in the tools panel on the left hand side and brushed over the foreground area to conceal the solid colour from that area.

There are many ways to do this but I chose a quick and easy method because I wasn’t too worried about an exact masking line along the horizon. A little light spill onto the foreground was OK.

Daniel Krueger
      Participant

@loki – Can you share HOW you lightened the sky in Photoshop?

Did you use a layer or something else?

I don’t have much experience with Photoshop, just Lightroom and not too much at that either. I’ve been watching lots of videos and picking up some techniques, but I’m always eager to learn from people on an actual photo.

beth
        Participant

if you’re using photoshop make a curves adj. layer, grab the point in the middle and pull it straight up.  there’s a line behind it to help you find the center.  drop it where ever it looks good.

this is going to increase any issues the image already has like noise and banding.  to avoid this shoot a brighter image and worry about darkening your foreground later.

if you’re used to working in lightroom you can do this in there.  either use the curves panel (right under the exposure panel) and do the exact same thing as i did in photoshop, or use the sliders in the exposure panel.  probably increase exposure a little, increase highlights and whites and decrease blacks and shadows.

Dahlia Ambrose
      Keymaster

Hi Daniel, I like how Beth has cropped the image so the darker areas in the foreground do not take up more space in the image. I think the image would look better if you moved in quite close to the silhouetted structure and try photographing it from a few perspectives and see what works best 🙂

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

About Author