This is worth the 10 seconds it will take for you to read it- Kent

Latest Posts Photography Forums General Photo Chit Chat This is worth the 10 seconds it will take for you to read it- Kent

This topic contains 11 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Tobie 10 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author

Kent DuFault
    Participant

Some members of my family were on a flight from Miami to Buenos Aires yesterday. During the delivery of lunch- the plane hit an air pocket and dropped over 2000 feet in a matter of seconds. I saw the pictures, but I don’t have them to share. It looked like a bomb went off inside that plane. Areas of the interior walls were literally cracked open. The exterior fuselage was fine. 12 people were injured. All were not wearing their seatbelts. The plane continued to the destination. After seeing those pictures, I don’t think I’ll ever fly again without having the seatbelt on.

Dahlia Ambrose
    Keymaster

Just now googled and saw the news + images. Glad everyone is safe Kent and thank you for sharing this with us.

John Thompson

I just read about this in the news before coming to LS this morning!!  I am glad no one was hurt.

Tersha
    Keymaster

OMG! I’m glad your family are ok Kent. I haven’t been on a plane for years, but I’ll remember that! It’s a bit like wearing a seatbelt in a car at all times, you never know what’s going to happen.

Lenny Wollitz
    Participant

WOW!  I have been in so much unexpected turbulence flying a small airplane that if the airlines had seat belts on the toilet I would sit down and buckle up!  The story I read stated that several people were injured and several hospitalized.  All of your family was OK?

Frogdaily
    Participant

Wow! How terrifying!  Pray your family were all ok!

Erik Fransman
    Participant

Kent, you are right. Always have your seatbelt on as recommended.
    The problem is when you are flying (or in any other situation) usually, it looks like it is not necessary and the human mind adapts to that. If you have been in a situation a couple of times, and it went all right then that become physiologically the norm and people get careless. Especially as they see the stewards and stewardesses hoping around in the plane. Then the people on board think, if it is ok for them, it will be ok for me. (wrong)

chris pook
    Participant

Wow!  And yes.  Cheers Kent/

Federico Alegria
    Participant

Thanks a lot Kent, I just google the thing and wow… I’ll never take my seat-belt from here on.

Pamela Winter
    Participant

Wow! It looked like a bomb went off inside the cabin.  Thank you, Dahlia for providing the link.  So very glad no one in your family was injured, Kent.

Graham Hart
    Participant

Gee, sobering stuff Kent. Hope your folks are all OK. I am definitely guilty of lapsing into taking my belt off once airborne…no more! Thanks for the lesson.

Tobie

Wow, this is scary stuff! It reminds me of a flight from North Africa a few years ago where we had bad turbulence with one woman screaming hysterically at the top of her voice. But nothing like this – she probably would have died of a heart attack!

Usually the captains can pick up oncoming turbulence and then request the passengers to fasten their seat belts. Can’t help but wonder what happened here – were the captains over confident? Did they ignore the warning signs? Did the passengers ignore fasten-seat-belt requests?

One thing is certain – I have renewed respect for the stresses these plains can endure! I disagree with the pilot – this is no ‘ordinary’ event! This plane did exceptionally well!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.