Three Rowers

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      Graham Hart
      Participant

Rob Eyers
      Participant

This is interesting Graham. For me there’s a kind of disconnect between the colour of the sky and the water reflection. Tell us about the image please.

Graham Hart
        Participant

Hi Rob, the sky is a drop in. The original was plain and bland so I thought I’d have a go at sky replacement. I used the sky from another image which had the stormy clouds seen here. It was quite grey in colour so I tried to give a golden hue (solid colour layer) to blend it with the water more. Guess I didn’t do too good a job of it. I had my own reservations at the time because the sun was setting behind me when I took this pic and the new sky didn’t really reflect this. Thought I’d give it a go anyway to practice layer masking. Should have known I couldn’t get past your keen eye 🙂 .

Rob Eyers
          Participant

Pretty good job of replacing the sky Graham. Maybe if you had a sky that better matched the wonderful colour on the water it would have been better. I often take sky shots to add to my sky picture collection just in case. Maybe something like this would have worked. Feel free to use it if you’d like.

JasenkaG
      Keymaster

I like the surreal vibes of this image. In case your intention wasn’t to make this look seamlessly realistic, I wouldn’t change anything. But if you want to make it more believable, you can desaturate the colors a little bit, especially the blue sky in the upper right side and purple reflections in the water.

Federico Alegria
      Participant

I think you did a very good image blending here mate, but as Rob and Jasenka have pinpointed, the water reflection and the sky seem a bit odd when compared together. A slight desaturation on the sky would make it look way more natural.

Dahlia Ambrose
      Keymaster

Beautiful golden mood in the image Graham 🙂

Frank
      Participant

You might try to get a reflections of the clouds onto the water.  Insert the sky again, but then flip it and paint it in over the water, and reduce its opacity.  Remember, too, that reflections are a bit darker than the reflecting subject.   (or are they brighter?  can’t remember!)

Although I like this photo a lot, I wonder about the two rowers in front.  You cannot just take them out, because the ripples of their wake would look out-of-place.  But, maybe you could try to lighten them a bit more, so we could see them a little more, that’s what I do not like about them.  Wouldn’t a single rower add more to the story and mood?  To me I see a hurry up paddle to safety to beat the approaching weather!  Anyway, here is a brighter foreground with a little of the sky gold onto the water.   (Leave it with 3 rowers!)

• This reply was modified 2wk ago by Frank.
      Frank
      Participant

Now, I do see what JesenkaG means about the blue are of sky.  It would be less of a distraction if the same color went all the way across the sky.  Or……with Rob’s sky. (Had to crop down a bit off the top)

• This reply was modified 2wk ago by Frank.
      Kent DuFault
      Participant

Some interesting variations on this. Could we see the original?

Graham Hart
      Participant

Here’s the original Kent. As you can see, a quite unremarkable shot. I used it as practice in trying to make something from nothing basically.

Dahlia Ambrose
        Keymaster

I like this original image Graham. It has a subtle, soft mood and portrays the beauty of that time of the day 🙂

Graham Hart
          Participant

I think the light is just a bit bland though Dahlia. My memories of that day are of quite a golden hour type of sunset which I didn’t capture too well in this pic. As I say, it was mainly just a practice piece for me to work with and I’m glad I did becasue the comments posted have been very helpful. 🙂

Federico Alegria
      Participant

Now I know why I like this image so much, it reminds me of The Endless River (which is perhaps the worst Pink Floyd album, and I still like it jajajaja).

Graham Hart
      Participant

Wash your mouth out Federico! The words ‘worst’ and ‘Pink Floyd’ do not belong together in the same sentence. Mind you, to be referenced to the greatest band EVER is something else 🙂

JasenkaG
        Keymaster

@diripics @federicoalegria Hah, now you really got me thinking of what’s the worst Pink Floyd song 😀 Interstellar Overdrive is pretty much like a really bad trip.

Beaky
      Participant

Nice work Graham, not yet experimented with changing skies etc. Totally agree with you on the greatest band “Ever”  Now your showing your age @jasenkag LOL, Interstellar overdrive is mid 60’s The piper at the gates of dawn.

• This reply was modified 1wk ago by Beaky.
        Graham Hart
        Participant

Thanks Beaky, lots of great Photoshop tutorials on youtube for sky swapping. I really enjoy the stuff from Adam Williams and Steve Arnold in particular. They’re lessons always leave me feeling comfortably numb “)

JasenkaG
      Keymaster

@ozride Hah, that’s true! But I knew that The Endless River is kinda new and the song I mentioned is very old 😀

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

About Author