Weekend Photography Challenge #413 Vanishing Point

Latest Posts Photography Forums Weekend Photography Challenge Weekend Photography Challenge #413 Vanishing Point

This topic contains 123 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by  Preston 7 months ago.

• Author

Tersha
    Keymaster

Robert Apple

Sunset at Magic Reservoir

Sunset at Magic Reservoir

Dave Watkins
      Participant

Your photo shows that it is an aptly named reservoir.

Tersha
      Keymaster

Definitely looks very magical, cool shot!

Michael
    Participant

Here is an image that I took in Napa, California. Mike

Dave Watkins
      Participant

Nice framing of the vineyard Michael.

LeanneC
      Participant

I like the way your framed this shot, Michael. Was this in the spring? Those vines look pretty bare. Hope you got to sample!

Michael
        Participant

Leann, yes this was in the spring, the third week of March. And oh yes, we did sample as much as we could. I still had to be able to legally drive, and I hated to have to spit out the wine samples! There is something that seems so wrong with having to do that, but it was so much fun!

LeanneC
          Participant

I agree! That is tough. My husband and I enjoy touring our local wineries. We were camping in the Okanagan one summer and after a few days of winery visits, mixed with swimming and outdoor fun, our oldest (5 at the time) said, “So, which wineries are we going to today?!” LOL

Bobbie
      Participant

Nice Michael. Something about the framing gives the image an Italian look. It might be the shape at the bottom.

Tersha
      Keymaster

Great shot Micheal, my eye follows the vines all the way down, love it!

chris pook
      Participant

It makes me want to drink red wine.  But then most things make me want to drink red wine.  Hmm…  It has gone midday…

Anonymous

Superb Click, It reflects the real beauty of the place. Keep Posting!
      Regards,
      Yugo.PK

Dave Watkins
    Participant

Cold, rainy morning at a tulip festival near Woodburn Oregon.

LeanneC
      Participant

I have always wanted to go to one of these tulip festivals! Some day…

Dave Watkins
        Participant

This one’s at the Wooden Shoe Farm. They do it up pretty good there. Plenty of good food and drink and when the weather cooperates a hot air balloon.

Kent DuFault
    Participant

Saint Paul, Minnesota Skyline

LeanneC
      Participant

I like the nice warm tones in this shot, Kent. Makes the city feel friendly and welcoming.

Dave Watkins
      Participant

The warm afternoon (?) glow of light on the buildings and road makes a really nice contrast to the green of the trees. Adds a bit of pop to the image.

Kent DuFault
        Participant

Thanks Dave. Actually Sunrise. Taken through the window on the 10th floor while waiting to see my Dr. 🙂

Rob Eyers
    Participant

International Museum of the Baroque, Puebla, Mexico

International Museum of the Baroque

LeanneC
      Participant

Looking up? Cool shot, Rob. A neat perspective.

Bobbie
      Participant

Nice change of point of view Rob. I had been looking through the stuff to see if I had an upward looking vanishing point but didn’t find one yet. Glad to see yours.

Tersha
      Keymaster

Cool shot Rob!

Dawn
      Participant

Well done Rob, I really like the nice clean lines of this pic.

Dave Watkins
      Participant

Wonderful perspective. Soft, pastel colors. And as Dawn said nice clean lines. All combined to make a beautiful abstract. Thumbs up Rob.

Rob Eyers
      Participant

Thank you everyone. This is a truly spectacular building. It’s a fantastic subject to take photos of. I’ll be posting a few more foto’s of it at a later date.

Tersha
    Keymaster

vanishing point

LeanneC
      Participant

This one gives me an anxious feeling, Diane. Like, I might actually vanish if I go down the path!

Bobbie
      Participant

You’re not going to vanish Leanne. Everything is just going to spiral in on itself tighter and tighter until …
      Definitely an emotion provoking image Diane!

LeanneC
        Participant

Yikes, Bobbie! There is a (horror or fantasy) story here!

Dave Watkins
      Participant

Composition definitely draws you into the image. Nicely done.

Pamela Winter
    Participant

Butler Beach, Anastasia Island, St Augustine, Florida

LeanneC
      Participant

Beautiful Pamela. I want to be there!

chris pook
      Participant

Inviting… Come, swim…!

Click
    Participant

The non-vanishing wall

Endless Wall

chris pook
      Participant

That’s a Great Wall!

Dawn
      Participant

Such a great pic, The Great wall has been on my bucket list for some time.

Click
    Participant

Shanghai Pudong Airport

Airport

Pamela Winter
    Participant

Trying to get my friend (Maleah Fulbright) registered for this website and having difficulty.  Here is her photo of the Seattle Train yards:

LeanneC
    Participant

Nye Beach, Oregon

The Sea Will Rise

Bobbie
      Participant

Everything works in this seascape Leanne – the color, the shapes, the balance, the lighting. It’s all there for me.

Dave Watkins
      Participant

Beautiful image Leanne.  I wanted to get over to Newport last summer but never did. Want to spend some time shooting at Yaquina Head area.

Tersha
      Keymaster

Lovely shot Leanne, I really like the detail on the rocks and in the mud1

LeanneC
        Participant

Thanks Diane, Dave and Bobbie. I was reading about these rocks once belonging to a sea arch, called Jump Off Joe. It collapsed in 1916. The power of water erosion is pretty amazing. It is a fun and interesting spot – I hope you get your visit in, Dave.

Graham Hart
      Participant

Love the way the clouds and the foreground rocks all point toward the headland and the vanishing horizon there. My eye wanders off into the distance amid the stormy clouds and wind blown waves and then returns to the peaceful pool of water amid the sumptuous texture and colour of the rocks. Beautiful pic Leanne.

chris pook
      Participant

Again, I can smell it.  It smells fresher than Elins goats.  🙂

LeanneC
        Participant

Thanks Graham and Chris! I want to go back and breathe that air again soon! Love the Oregon coast.

Robert Apple

Beautiful Leann,

I remember when you were so shy about posting your work, you’ve come a long way even writing guides for photosy, you’re posting some great stuff.

LeanneC
        Participant

Haha! Yes, Robert! I think being on this forum has helped. You guys are all great and very supportive! Thanks so much for the kind comment.

Tom M
    Participant

Nashville Skyline…

Tom M
    Participant

Ornament lights framing the Christmas tree…

Graham Hart
    Participant

Road to Tarlee.

LeanneC
      Participant

Lovely moody sky, Graham. I love the light you get from skies like that. Great catch.

chris pook
      Participant

Lile that a lot, particularly the contrasting colours and light v dark of the clouds and the wheat/

Robert Apple

Love it Graham

Graham Hart
      Participant

Thanks guys. This was taken on the same day as my recent sunny Hay Bales picture.

The Sun On The Stubble

Bright sunshine one minute, dark clouds the next. As mentioned, makes for a nice lighting effect.

Bobbie
    Participant

“Riverside Rest” – Zakopane, Poland

LeanneC
      Participant

That is a busy little brook, Bobbie! What a nice spot to stop. It reminds me of some places in BC, where I live.

Bobbie
        Participant

Thanks Leanne. I’ve always wanted to get to BC but it hasn’t happened yet.

chris pook
      Participant

I have never been to Poland, though I know a lot of Poles.  What did you make of it?  I would like to go – maybe try skiing there.

Bobbie
        Participant

We had a good time Chris but it was a trip we placed limitations on as to what to see and not see, where to go and not go. That was my condition for going.
        Zakopane, the place I took the photo, is also an area well known for its ski slopes (we don’t ski).

Holly K
    Participant

Arbor Lane

chris pook
      Participant

Where are you.  Nice mountain backdrop.

Holly K
        Participant

Hi Chris:  This is in Rancho Cucamonga, CA, about 35 miles east of Los Angeles.  The city has a great view of the San Bernardino Mountains.

ElinL
    Participant

Greetings from our furry friends

Vanishing point

LeanneC
      Participant

Awesome Elin! And so very you, to find a vanishing point image in a row of creatures. I love it.

ElinL
        Participant

Thank you Leanne – feeding them is a fascinating sight.

chris pook
      Participant

Baaa!  🙂

Love this.  I can smell it almost.  🙂

ElinL
        Participant

Hope you didn´t get the rams smell up your nose – terrible at this time of the year – so bad that it could be used in warfare.

Bobbie
      Participant

Wonderful Elin. I love your farm series. The rams almost look like mythological creatures here.

ElinL
        Participant

Thank you Bobbie – Jon´s rams are wonderful and peaceful creatures – a bit aggressive, battered and bloody now during the mating season.

Robert Apple

You take such wonderful sheep photos Elin, I never would have thought them this photogenic.

ElinL
        Participant

Thank you Robert – they are really beautiful creatures – my photos do not do them justice.

Dave Watkins
      Participant

Great lighting highlights the sheep beautifully. And the earth tones fit the subject matter perfectly.

Dave Watkins
        Participant

Lets try that again.  The lighting highlights the sheep very well. And the earth tones match the subject matter perfectly. Nice job.

Graham Hart
      Participant

What a wonderful picture Elin. So much warm earthy colour and texture. I love the light in this pic. Flash?

Also; reminds me of government heads-of-state ramming heads at a conference meeting.

I can just imagine the day of the shoot too…”OK, now don’t look at the camera guys, just eat the straw and look natural. Damn it!”

Tersha
      Keymaster

Love it Elin, such character in their faces!

Franklin-Gordon Wild Rivers National Park

PB200840

Cradle Mountain – Lake St Clair national park

PB211095

chris pook
      Participant

Great shots David.  How do you feel about the pathway through the wilderness?   I would be torn, if it was one of my favourite spots.  Awesome for riding a bike on, but taking away some of the tranquility and isolation of the place.

Robert Apple

Love that first one David.

It is a catch22 Chris. This track leads to a site of historical significance. It runs through what is essentially a peat bog that is full of wombat burrows – whilst not the most pleasing view it is far better than the damage to the environment.

Andre P.
    Participant

chris pook
    Participant

The Dog is a distraction really, but, well, you know;

Cold Winter Dawn in Cambridgeshire;

export-0306

Anne Hornsby
    Participant

Wow, this is am amazing set of photos!

Cambodia

Bobbie
      Participant

Something about this image intrigues me Anne but I can’t put my finger on what it is.

Robert Apple

For me its about the juxtaposition of the three modes of travel.

Gray B
      Participant

This is a fabulous photo Anne.  For me the story begins with the man on the bike carrying branches and it just goes from there.  Taking time to explore, especially in exotic locations, doesn’t get any better and pics like this is your reward.

Thank you

Tom M
      Participant

Love this photo Anne. The lighting,composition and story are just about perfect…

Anne Hornsby
        Participant

Thanks Bobbie, Robert, Gray, Tom.   The feeling at this spot was almost mystical –  trees arcing over a lot of the road,  slow-paced movements from farm plots and homes….

Bobbie
    Participant

“Sunset Runner”

Holly K
      Participant

Beautiful shot and great composition!

Bobbie
      Participant

Thanks Holly

Dave Watkins
    Participant

Crossing up ahead.

Dawn
      Participant

This is a beautiful shot, I love the curves that lead the eye.

Dave Watkins
        Participant

Thanks. I appreciate your comment Dawn. 🙂

Tom M
      Participant

I like this photo a lot Dave. The way the 2 curves of different forms of transportation mirror each other and the trees in between them is intriguing. Well done…

Dave Watkins
        Participant

Thanks Tom. Shot it at a few different POV’s. I thought this one was the best.

Bobbie
      Participant

Interesting image Dave (and a little dizzying). It almost looks like a composite of 2 images.

Dave Watkins
        Participant

Thanks for commenting Bobbie. It’s just one shot. My post processing skills are not good enough to make a composite. Can’t even remove some branches over the road on the lower right without messing it up. But I keep working at it. 🙂

Preston
      Participant

This is a fun photo Dave! Personally I like the limbs over the road.  They frame the road quite well in my opinion.

Dave Watkins
        Participant

Thanks. I guess I didn’t express that very well. I didn’t mean the branches above the road at the top of the image. Look at the lower right corner. There’s a spot on the pavement where the yellow lines don’t line up and the pavement is smudged.  There was a limb with a lot of small branches sticking up from the side of the road. I didn’t make the effort to remove them at the time. Didn’t bother me until I looked at the shot enlarged on my computer monitor.  They needed to be removed. I’m just not very good at that yet.

Preston
          Participant

You’re preaching to the choir!  I’m no master at post production either.  Honeslty though, I didn’t notice the smuged lines until you pointed them out just now and I was looking on a 24 inch monitor before.  I guess if some things don’t bother us, we’ll never get better at this whole photography process.  All in all, I still think it’s a great shot.

Dave Watkins
            Participant

I’m what one would call “technologically challenged.” But I’m a learnin’. 🙂  Thanks again for your comments Preston.

Graham Hart
      Participant

I really like this pic Dave. It doesn’t seem to follow any ‘rules’ in photography but it works so well. Perhaps its the three main elements that I find appealing; the tracks, the road and the trees. All competing for attention but each sharing equal billing.

Together, they increase the desire to know what happens around the bend. Do they cross? Or do they continue on beside each other? If I had a friend with me, I’d be saying “You take the high road and I’ll take the low road”.

Wouldn’t mind seeing this scene in a foggy mist too. Great location, great shot.

Dave Watkins
        Participant

Thanks for your comment Graham. Do they cross around the bend? Honestly I don’t know. I drove to here and left in the other direction. I remembered this spot from a drive I took quite a while ago. Went there Monday morning looking for a vanishing point shot. When I was done I turned around and drove home.

There were areas of fog around that morning but unfortunately not at this particular spot. I plan on going back on another foggy morning.

Edit: Went back this foggy morning and got kicked off the train tracks before I even got one shot. Was told I was trespassing and they’d written down my license plate number and if they saw my truck parked there again they’d call the police. The man said “Sorry. That’s just the way it’s been after 9/11. Oh well.

Kent DuFault
      Participant

I like this shot too. Good eye!

Robert Apple

Clouds Vanishing over the Mountains ?

Natures Call to Wake

davidc
    Participant

Under the old pier in Southport on Merseyside

southport 2018-12

Gray B
      Participant

“Under the boardwalk” during my surfing days was a bit of a theme song for me. This capture took me back to those days. Thanks David

Robert Apple

Late Evening Travels

Late Evening Travels

Dawn
    Participant

The Big Wheel

Gray B
    Participant

There’s a reason it’s called Death Valley :).

Lonely highway to Death Valley

Bobbie
      Participant

This made me immediately think of the Beatles – “The long and winding road” – NOT!
      Hope you had a lot of gas and plenty of water Gray.

Tom M
    Participant

Nice photo Gray. You have 2 sensor spots that you need to clean in your camera though in the upper left hand corner. 🙂

Gray B
      Participant

I sure as heck do have spots.  It’s an older shot with an old camera, thanks for pointing this out. ??

Preston
    Participant

California Route 4 on a road trip my dad and I took in 2009.  It’s not the best quality, but it’s one of my favorites from the trip. 

One I took over the weekend. Winding Road Ahead

Dave Watkins
      Participant

Has been a while since I was on California route 4 Preston. It goes through one of my favorite historic gold mining towns. Angels Camp. Home to Mark Twains “Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County.” My parents built a cabin in Bear Valley in 1967. I learned to ski at Mt. Reba. Thanks for the memories. 🙂

Preston
        Participant

I remember it being a gorgeous ride.  We were heading looking for Giant Trees and a nice gentleman in Virginia City told us to go to Calaveras Big Tree State Park.  So happy he did that.  I’m glad it took you back a bit Dave!

Tersha
    Keymaster

Afon Dulas

Afon Dulas

Jay Ward
    Participant

Fall Drive

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.